C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 brakes, What to do next??? AAGGHHhhh!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:46 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
1. i do not know...
You can mismatch rods on either side of the booster. There's a short and long pedal side rod version of the booster. C3's use the long. The reason I did not think this was your problem is because it's really freaking obvious when you do this because your pedal rests way too low (should be about even with the clutch), your brake lights will stay on, and if you try to yank the pedal up you'll feel a *pop* as the pushrod unseats from to booster bladder. I personally went through this, and even with this situation I could lock up my wheels without bottoming out the pedal.

Now on the MC side, there are shallow and deep well pistons which use short and long pushrods respectively. The reason I did not think this was your problem is again because it's really freaking obvious. If you have a shallow well piston, the booster rod should be roughly flush with the lip of the booster port. If you have a deep well piston, it'll stick out by about an inch. I really think you would've noticed upon assembly a mismatch here. Furthermore, 1" is a BIG difference in the stroke of that piston, and I have serious doubts that you would ever be able to lock the brakes with that setup. But hey, pop that MC off and verify. It'll make Golden happy. You don't even have to crack the hardlines off.

2. I have been told 79 is none adjustable...
They are not. There's some thread at the end of the pedal side rod, but it's very little and I do not believe it's meant to be used for adjustment. The rod should be seated in the pedal arm.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:55 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Golden
If you want I'll go and take some pictures of the braking system of an old VW I've got. It's 25 years old and the brakes look like someone emptied a barbecue in there, the brakes work just fine.
Well there's definitive proof right there that it must be a problem with the pushrods!

You claimed that Pauls problem was irrefutably the valve.
No, I said that was the most likely culprit.

They are known to leak introducing air into the system, and many people have difficulty purging this air.

I guess you also missed the part about how the behavior of brakes changed. He can now lock up all 4 wheels which is something he could not do before changing out that valve.

Last edited by wcsinx; 04-19-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:56 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
Somewhere along in shark production they changed the m/cyl input from one with a deep hole/socket for the ~3/8 pin to go in, and went to a divot hole, obviously the boosters changed also....all I did was cut off the pin on my early long pin booster, round it off nicely to fit later m/cylinders...which are more common and I was playing with larger diameter bores to get better pedal, which did work to a certain extent for a couple years, then along came HB, there are two different types there, one for trucks and one like in the Astro vans....the output pistons/pins are different so you need to make sure you got the right HB unit or it's a PIA otherwise....it will look the same as your LATER shark vacuum booster, pin length wise.....
i have the shallow hole or dimple in the M/C.... wih the willwood it comes with a ~1" long center plug so it can be used with both. if you were to remove the plug so as to work of the PB with the longer rid, there would be o, none, no brakes at all...and this is the larger M/C bore, 1 1/8" i think....

thx... p:-)
Old 04-19-2010, 12:01 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

i have the shallow hole or dimple in the M/C.... wih the willwood it comes with a ~1" long center plug so it can be used with both. if you were to remove the plug so as to work of the PB with the longer rid, there would be o, none, no brakes at all...and this is the larger M/C bore, 1 1/8" i think....

thx... p:-)
correct (bolded)

Golden, read this post carefully for the love of god.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:06 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mrvette
Somewhere along in shark production they changed the m/cyl input from one with a deep hole/socket for the ~3/8 pin to go in, and went to a divot hole, obviously the boosters changed also....all I did was cut off the pin on my early long pin booster, round it off nicely to fit later m/cylinders...which are more common and I was playing with larger diameter bores to get better pedal, which did work to a certain extent for a couple years, then along came HB, there are two different types there, one for trucks and one like in the Astro vans....the output pistons/pins are different so you need to make sure you got the right HB unit or it's a PIA otherwise....it will look the same as your LATER shark vacuum booster, pin length wise.....

on the current PB, the "PIN" can be removed, i remember it being ~2" in length and as stated earlier, the M/C does has the divot..

wish i could adjust that rod/pin
Old 04-19-2010, 12:23 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wcsinx

1. You can mismatch rods on either side of the booster. There's a short and long pedal side rod version of the booster. C3's use the long. The reason I did not think this was your problem is because it's really freaking obvious when you do this because your pedal rests way too low (should be about even with the clutch), your brake lights will stay on, and if you try to yank the pedal up you'll feel a *pop* as the pushrod unseats from to booster bladder. I personally went through this, and even with this situation I could lock up my wheels without bottoming out the pedal.

Now on the MC side, there are shallow and deep well pistons which use short and long pushrods respectively. The reason I did not think this was your problem is again because it's really freaking obvious. If you have a shallow well piston, the booster rod should be roughly flush with the lip of the booster port. If you have a deep well piston, it'll stick out by about an inch. I really think you would've noticed upon assembly a mismatch here. Furthermore, 1" is a BIG difference in the stroke of that piston, and I have serious doubts that you would ever be able to lock the brakes with that setup. But hey, pop that MC off and verify. It'll make Golden happy. You don't even have to crack the hardlines off.

2. They are not. There's some thread at the end of the pedal side rod, but it's very little and I do not believe it's meant to be used for adjustment. The rod should be seated in the pedal arm.
1. i will pull it later this week and pop some pics with a ruler or???

my brake peddle is up, all the way up... but that could be due to the spring return... again, the first ~1" of peddle travel feels as if i am ONLY pushing against a return spring, then after that it starts to work

2. Yes i have seen exactly what you are talking about... no adjustment there worth talking about...

Note: yesterday i had my son push on the brake peddle very slowly, and as he did, with the M/C removed, the rod coming from the PB also moved. IE, as soon as the peddle is moved, the rod between the M/C and the P/B moves.... i guess the question now is, is the rod in contact with the M/C before movement, or is there space there before contact? if so how much?

but why did it do the "pop" and bad brakes in the panic stop 20 years ago? no rod change then?????

this is way harder than it should be!!!!

Last edited by pauldana; 04-19-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:33 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

1. i will pull it later this week and pop some pics with a ruler or???
It sounds like you already checked this, yes? You know that you have a deep well piston with a spacer mated to a shallow well booster, right? So I don't know what else there is to check unless you have the completely wrong booster or MC for your car.

my brake peddle is up, all the way up... but that could be due to the spring return... again, the first ~1" of peddle travel feels as if i am ONLY pushing against a return spring, then after that it starts to work
In my experience, that return spring isn't nearly strong enough to unseat the pushrod from the booster. I maintain that you would know if this was your problem.

2. Yes i have seen exactly what you are talking about... no adjustment there worth talking about...
Old 04-19-2010, 12:44 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Note: yesterday i had my son push on the brake peddle very slowly, and as he did, with the M/C removed, the rod coming from the PB also moved. IE, as soon as the peddle is moved, the rod between the M/C and the P/B moves
Then you have proved correctly that the pedal rod is not your problem.

.... i guess the question now is, is the rod in contact with the M/C before movement, or is there space there before contact? if so how much?
Again ... shallow v/s deep well piston, it's a yes/no thing. There's no adjustment there. The only way I could see that being an issue is if you have the totally wrong MC or booster. If you're feeling ambitious, you might actually get out a caliper and measure all the resting lengths/depths. You will have to remove the MC though. There should just be a nuthair of play between the pushrod and MC piston.

but why did it do the "pop" and bad brakes in the panic stop 20 years ago? no rod change then?????
Well despite Golden's naysaying, the *pop* is indicative of that valve moving around. The reason that valve moves is because of a pressure imbalance most often caused by air in the system which is most often caused by a leak be it in the valve itself, the MC or the calipers. Even having repaired the leak, you may still be dealing with air.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:58 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

just got this pm...
Check your pedal travel with the engine off. Pump the pedal 3 times to purge the vacuum from the booster. The shop manual spec. for pedal travel is 1.8 inches with 80 lbs. of force applied to the center of the pedal.

So i went out a measured just a sec ago... drove it to work today as it is going back into pant for 3 days for some touch up work,,,,

i have ~2.2" of peddle travel...
Old 04-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Golden
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well there's definitive proof right there that it must be a problem with the pushrods!

No, I said that was the most likely culprit.

They are known to leak introducing air into the system, and many people have difficulty purging this air.

I guess you also missed the part about how the behavior of brakes changed. He can now lock up all 4 wheels which is something he could not do before changing out that valve.
I don't care what you attempt with back tracking and distractions, you said it was the valve and it wasn't
Old 04-19-2010, 01:21 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

I don't care what you attempt with back tracking and distractions, you said it was the valve and it wasn't
And I don't care what sort of misinterpretations you care to make about my posts. At every step of way, I maintained it was the most likely culprit. Nothing more nothing less ... anything else was your own fabrication, Golden.

Furthermore, nothing Paul has posted rules it out! If anything, it was confirmed. By his own account, 1. it was gunked up (I know you don't think that matters, but as usual you have the diagnostic ability of a decapitated rat) 2. he went from being able to only lock up the rears to locking up all 4 .. HMMMM valve imbalance maybe!??!

But as usual, you're only going to read the parts you like and ignore the rest e.g. how he eliminated your pushrod theory (actually he did this a long time ago). I know how you operate, Golden.

I won't be posting in this thread again

Last edited by wcsinx; 04-19-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:05 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow this thread moves fast, I'm getting confused...

having your son push the pedal with his foot isn't good enough. You need to get in the car with your head in the foot well, grab the push rod with two fingers of one hand and wiggle the pedal with two fingers of the other hand. close your eyes and feel the force luke.

you should be able to feel just a slight movement before the push rod contacts the booster seat.

And like someone above said, there are two places to check. I'd be surprised in fact if the Wilwood booster hole was the exact same depth as the stock MC hole. That one is harder to check since you can feel it nor can you reach the pedal and the MC at the same time.

And of course, listen the old man Gene, is the booster good?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:53 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 427V8
having your son push the pedal with his foot isn't good enough. You need to get in the car with your head in the foot well, grab the push rod with two fingers of one hand and wiggle the pedal with two fingers of the other hand. close your eyes and feel the force luke.
The difference between the short and long pedal rods is huge. It works out to ~2" of pedal travel IIRC.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:52 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 427V8
Wow this thread moves fast, I'm getting confused...

you should be able to feel just a slight movement before the push rod contacts the booster seat.

And like someone above said, there are two places to check. I'd be surprised in fact if the Wilwood booster hole was the exact same depth as the stock MC hole. That one is harder to check since you can feel it nor can you reach the pedal and the MC at the same time.

And of course, listen the old man Gene, is the booster good?
thx... when I get her out this weekend again, I will pop the MC and do some feeling and measuring...
Does everyone agree that if the peddle will not pump up, that there is no air in the system?

as far as the booster, its days are limited, HB will be in a couple of weeks....

The difference between the short and long pedal rods is huge. It works out to ~2" of pedal travel IIRC.
thx

so, that would rule our the wrong size rod.....???

still wish i had a physical picture or mechanical breakdown drawing of what is inside the PB... may answer some questions..
Old 04-19-2010, 11:07 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Does everyone agree that if the peddle will not pump up, that there is no air in the system?
No

Based on your description, yes, I would think so. I have personally seen what happens when you put the short pedal rod booster in a C3. Trust me, it's obvious.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:43 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

No

Based on your description, yes, I would think so. I have personally seen what happens when you put the short pedal rod booster in a C3. Trust me, it's obvious.
well then.... once the PB is replaced with the HB there will be nothing left in the system that is not BRAND NEW, except the hard lines...

air.... where does it hide?......

hope the end is near....
Old 04-20-2010, 12:40 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

thx... when I get her out this weekend again, I will pop the MC and do some feeling and measuring...
as far as the booster, its days are limited, HB will be in a couple of weeks....
thx
still wish i had a physical picture or mechanical breakdown drawing of what is inside the PB... may answer some questions..

No

It’s not a question of long rod vs short rod. You are using mismatched parts and the rod has to fit what you have, not the oem stuff. You may have to make your own rod so it fits precisely. A few thou of preload won’t hurt but play will drop your pedal.

well then.... once the PB is replaced with the HB there will be nothing left in the system that is not BRAND NEW, except the hard lines...
hope the end is near....

I hope you realize that the hydroboost doesn’t come with a “magic” rod, you will have a rod issue with the HB too, have to have one that fits your combo or an adjustable.

Just one question, when wheels are jacked up, can you feel resistance from the brake pads while spinning? You said you went to oring seals.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 brakes, What to do next??? AAGGHHhhh!!!

Old 04-20-2010, 01:40 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 982 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default More stupid questions.

Here's a picture I found in the 74 Service Manual. I've never taken a booster apart but if one of the 3 springs broke could that have been the 'clunk' you heard?

Also where is the seal you changed to stop the leak?
Old 04-20-2010, 08:37 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Originally Posted by noonie
It’s not a question of long rod vs short rod. You are using mismatched parts and the rod has to fit what you have, not the oem stuff. You may have to make your own rod so it fits precisely. A few thou of preload won’t hurt but play will drop your pedal.
The only non-oem part he has is the MC. I've never had any experience with Wilwood. Is this an issue others have had with their MCs?
Old 04-20-2010, 08:40 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Can you describe for us in detail your bleed process? Did you beat the crap out of those calipers with a rubber mallet? Air loves to hide in the cylinder wells when you're bringing up a dry system.

Quick Reply: C3 brakes, What to do next??? AAGGHHhhh!!!