C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has rebuilt their automatic transmission ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:51 PM
sting66cp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who has rebuilt their automatic transmission ?

How many of you have rebuilt their own automatic transmission? There are several good video's available, how difficult is this? What are the real costs involved with doing this? How many special tools or machine shop services are required?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:05 AM
Bowerss2
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

its not expensive to do it your self. Having a proper transmission stand is helpful but not completely necessary. If you have a decently stocked garage you should be able to do it yourself as long as it hasn't grenaded or anything. I rebuilt a A4LD for a ford and it works just fine now. I STRONGLY recommend getting the real ATSG (automatic transmission service group) manual specific to your transmission. And follow all of the instructions to the letter.

Dedicate a whole work bench to this project covered in white paper, this will help you spot any errant springs/ check ***** ect. Take your time and dont cut corners. If you dont follow the instructions to the letter it will never work right, or worse you could seriously mess it up.

Automatic transmissions are full of voodoo and magic; they are arguably the most complex mechanical devices mass produced, when you take apart the valve body you will see what i mean. Take your time, follow the instructions, and good luck

Steve
Old 03-30-2010, 12:14 AM
Bowerss2
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if these two diagrams dont intimidate you, then have at it!

Old 03-30-2010, 12:27 AM
jordan89
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks really complicated. That would take lots of patience.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:59 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default I know my limitations!

Pulled it out with the moror and ran it over to 'Transformance Automotive Inc.

I'm happy with the repair and it's got close to 40,000 miles on it since, and no problems.
I'm very happy with the repair, is there anything that you would have wanted them to do?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:04 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

On my second car about 40 years ago, I got into the brain of the old hydromatic, modified it for better shifting and total performance, it was years before I started rebuilding trannies again.....here in Florida I have rebuilt 4 of them, and repaired one....

my latest project was a 700 r4 for a class C motor home I am rebuilding...it seems ok so far, but not many miles on it....the 200 4r in the '72 vette was done about 4? years ago, and it's been fine, the TQ 999 in the work truck is still in daily use 6 years ago....

IMO, by far the 700 was the hardest, the rest are a piece of cake....the trick about the 700 is making a couple of simple tools to clamp the piston springs down in the rear tail of the main housing...you will see when/if you do a 700, nothing but a couple steel bars and a threaded rod.....

you have to remember they are nothing but a huge collection of sub assy's and they go together only ONE way, you need READ the phreaking BOOK, and totally identify the parts in the kit, and then read the TRANS GO shift kit installation, following exactly what is recommended....

do not use any other shift kits, they are junk...TG is the only one that works...that from experience...believe me....

with my minor count of rebuilds, I am hardly a expert....on this latest 700 build, I had a friendly ghost on the cphone, looking over my shoulder, without him I dunno it would have gone so well....

except for the shift kit springs, there is not a whole lot about the brain plates that is all that complicated, and if they are clean in there, can be left alone, I never had a issue....

front pumps can get hairy, if the plates are worn, just buy a new one...100-150 bux covers most of them....

Old 03-30-2010, 07:47 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

To answer your question:
It takes mechanical skill, good reference materials, adequate tooling (including a press, cleaning tank, snapring plier sets, micrometer/calipers, and a mounting stand), plenty of table space to dole-out all those parts in an orderly fashion, and a good memory. Other than that, all you need is a rebuild kit and 'guts'.
I would not recommend this task to a "weekend warrior". Unless you really want to know what is inside and how it really works...and are willing to cry "uncle" when you've had enough...remove your tranny and take it to a reputable tranny shop (not the 'chain' shops, if you can help it). They will rebuild it just as well as you ever could and it will be done in a couple of days. The money is well worth it...along with the short-term warranty that you can't provide if you do it.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:54 AM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
To answer your question:
It takes mechanical skill, good reference materials, adequate tooling (including a press, cleaning tank, snapring plier sets, micrometer/calipers, and a mounting stand), plenty of table space to dole-out all those parts in an orderly fashion, and a good memory. Other than that, all you need is a rebuild kit and 'guts'.
I would not recommend this task to a "weekend warrior". Unless you really want to know what is inside and how it really works...and are willing to cry "uncle" when you've had enough...remove your tranny and take it to a reputable tranny shop (not the 'chain' shops, if you can help it). They will rebuild it just as well as you ever could and it will be done in a couple of days. The money is well worth it...along with the short-term warranty that you can't provide if you do it.
with 7T1Vette.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:49 PM
Tom's 79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Petes74ttop, that was an inexpensive rebuild! I think I would not have rebuilt mine myself if I could get it done for that amount.

I could tell my trans was slipping when I got on the gas. I was out of work at the time so I had a lot of time on my hands and not a lot of money. I decided to rebuild my TH350 myself.

I bought two books, one was the ASTG manual for that trans and the other was a book by Ron Sessions. Between those two books, this forum and a few other web sites. I was able to get the job done for about $450 in parts and my time.

The only special tool I needed was a compression tool for the reverse clutch. I made that for $10 in materials from Home Depot. I had the case hot tanked and all of the bushings replaced by a local trans shop for $70. I had my torque converter split, cleaned and rewelded I think for about $70. I had the direct clutch piston turned down by a machine shop so that I could install two more clutch discs for about $30. I bought the Trans Go shift kit and a master overhaul kit.

Bottom line, you need time, patience, do your research and homework, know what to do before you start, keep everything clean! Like mentioned earlier, everything can be dealt with as a sub-assembly. You work on one sub-assembly at a time and the job will not be overwhelming. It's hard to tell someone they can do a job like this because you really need to know how capable they are, how patient they are, etc. You will have to decide that for yourself. Like I said, I was kind of forced into doing this myself but it paid off and now I can chirp the tires going into second gear. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:51 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I know my limitations too! LOL!

Had it done by a pro, all race, with 2500 stall converter. Worth every penny considering what they cost from TCI on Summit or Jegs.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:06 AM
whitehause
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd check around and see what a shop will charge you first. When you look at what parts will cost for the re build, you might only be saving 300 or 400 dollars, and will have no recourse if it doesn't work right.Having a warranty is nice when your talking about something this labor intensive. I love doing my own work, but some things are best left to a true professional at that particular part. If you remove the trans, and take it to the shop, that could save you a fair amount on the labor. Make sure to tell them this when you get a quote.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:56 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,473 Likes on 767 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I just had mine done this week. I pulled the trans out of the car and took it to a referred rebuilder who did it for $500. Mine had no problems operationally, just leaking like crazy.....no leaks no more! He showed me a few of the O rings and they would just crack when folded over.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:03 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I am with some of the other guys, you can do it if you have a few skills and a decent tool box. My first one was my 2oo4R for the vette and I did it with the ATSG book and a video. No special tools needed other than some long snapring pliars. I used a C-Clamp and a block of wood for desassembling the clutches. This thingis like a clown car, you can NOT imagine how many parts there are in there. But the Video was a Huge help.
Go Ahead and do it

Get notified of new replies

To Who has rebuilt their automatic transmission ?

Quick Reply: Who has rebuilt their automatic transmission ?