C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something I learned about insurance may help you

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 12:15 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Something I learned about insurance may help you

I was getting so sick of paying almost $1000 a year on my 78 vette. (Rates were just raised in FL by State Farm, so I was even more pissed). So, I finally found a solution without going with those "Classic" insurers.

State Farm has a "Classic" and "Class A" policy that requires you to get an appraisal and then come in for pictures. Requires less than 7,500 miles a year and don't drive it to work.

Mine went from $1000 a year to $216. Great savings! And still with State Farm.

Now, I did not start this thread to advertise it, but now that I am at this point in my comments, we (Vettefinders) do online appraisals that fit the bill for this ($69.95) http://vettefinders.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Appraisals

:cheers:
Old 03-12-2002, 12:33 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: Something I learned about insurance may help you (Chris@VetteFinders)

Had it for 2 years now..... :D
Old 03-12-2002, 12:34 PM
Chris@VetteFinders

Default Re: Something I learned about insurance may help you (Alwyn678)

You know, I read your post the other day about that and was going to ask you how.
Old 03-12-2002, 01:12 PM
KB in CO
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Something I learned about insurance may help you (Chris@VetteFinders)

Thanks, great info. :cheers:
Old 03-12-2002, 02:01 PM
skinsfan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's funny... I called State Farm and they quoted me a rate of arond $900 a year.. never mentioned the other plan..
Thanks for the heads up
Old 03-12-2002, 02:18 PM
sray454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have State Farm too ... but a slightly different plan:
a. agreed upon value
b. 3000 miles / year to / from anywhere
c. pics but no appraisal
d. $120 / year.
Old 03-12-2002, 10:08 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Something I learned about insurance may help you (sray454)

Pretty :cool: . So you did your own appraisal for State Farm?? How much did you tell them it was worth?? Seriously though, besides not driving it to work are there any other rules? And how does your appraisal service work for someone who lives in the Houston Area?? :confused:
Old 03-12-2002, 10:33 PM
Chris@VetteFinders

Default Re: Something I learned about insurance may help you (VettePower)

The appraiser is Bob Kroupa from Vette-N-Vestments (and Corvette Fever fame). Even though he does all our appraisals, he did a unbiased Appraisal on mine.

As far as I know so far, the only "rules" are the ones I listed.

The Appraisal service works by the customer filling out the forms and then providing very detailed digital photos of specific area of the Corvette. All the info and examples, as well as what you will need, are listed on the site.
Old 03-12-2002, 10:41 PM
Noel Carboni
Pro

don't drive it to work
Where's the fun in that?

-Noel
Old 03-12-2002, 10:49 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: Something I learned about insurance may help you (Noel Carboni)

don't drive it to work

Where's the fun in that?

-Noel
"Pleasure use only" right?
What if you get great pleasure from driving your car to/from work :yesnod:

I'll have to check into that. I'm considering switching my other cars to State Farm. I'll ask about the classic coverage while I'm at it.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:31 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

:yesnod: Good info.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:36 PM
paso
Burning Brakes

What are you going to spend the almost $800 buck's a year on :D
Old 03-12-2002, 11:36 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: Something I learned about insurance may help you (67HEAVEN)

wow... a whole $1000 and you're complaining... geez... I wish I had it that good...
Old 03-12-2002, 11:37 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Something I learned about insurance may help you (67HEAVEN)

I have State Farm coverage on my house, liability and 2 drivers. Since they are bailing out of New Jersey auto business I will not be giving them additional business; rather I am looking for alternative companies. MJ
Old 03-13-2002, 01:13 AM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

A lot of this depends on how many other vehicles, homes, boats etc. you insure with a certain company. I have State Farm... full coverage, full replacement.... unlimited mileage...450.00 per year. :D
Old 03-13-2002, 06:52 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Sounds like the antique insurance I got. $82.00/year
Old 03-13-2002, 07:58 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Default Re: Something I learned about insurance may help you (1970 Stingray)

i went with Hagerty on the Vette and switched to Allstate on the house and other 3 cars. the allstate agent is a friend of mine. the other independent local insurance company i had would not let me separate the vette from my other vehicles so i could get adequate coverage for my vette. anyway, with Hagerty i've got $16000 coverage,300,000 liability and 4000 miles a yr, $275/yr, they said they would not want me to drive it to work daily, which is ok cuz i don't.
Also,you guys do what you want and this just my opininon, but State Farm stinks. they were the ones who were forcing people to settle for foreign fenders,hood,etc a few yrs ago, and these parts didn't fit. And another side note,that back in the mid-90's,State Farm in Bloomington,il. AE Staley in decatur,il and the British corp who owned them, along with 2 major banks in Springfield,IL along with Central Illinois Public Service,(electricity and natural gas utility in west central Illinois, now called Ameren CIPS) conspired in union busting,by locking out the CIPS IBEW craft workers. they lost big time. i am myself an IBEW member working for SBC/Ameritech, a company that has spent several million $$$ over the last few years to research and find how to get rid of the IBEW. although i am union, i'm not one who walks around saying everybody ought to be union, this is still America and you have a choice and i respect that. This got off the subject but i thought it might be interesting to let you guys know how corporate America tugs on the hidden strings sometimes.

Get notified of new replies

To Something I learned about insurance may help you

Old 03-13-2002, 09:16 AM
Chris@VetteFinders

Default Re: Something I learned about insurance may help you (KENS78SILVERANNIV)

A lot of this depends on how many other vehicles, homes, boats etc. you insure with a certain company. I have State Farm... full coverage, full replacement.... unlimited mileage...450.00 per year. :D
Ken's comments bring up a point I should have made earlier. There are MANY variables about insurance rates. For instance me living in NC vs. here with the same vehicle varied rates as much as $600 to $1000 a year.

I used these figures (without going into the detail that I have multiple cars, life insurance, other discounts) to give people an idea what kind of money can be saved.
Old 03-13-2002, 01:37 PM
A2Shark
Instructor

Default Re: Something I learned about insurance may help you (Gary79)

Gary79,

Your only Haggerty Insurance stipulation was that they didn't want you to drive it to work daily?

I called the home office in Traverse City, MI for a rate and was told that I couldn't drive it to work at all, was limited to 3,000 miles per year, could not drive it for errands, "not even to church on Sundays." They would only "allow" me to drive my vette occasionally for pleasure trips. In fact, the agent cut me off and ended the conversation after I told him that I may drive the Vette to work in an emergency situation.

I guess it all depends on the agent. This guy really ticked me off.

Brian
Old 03-13-2002, 04:57 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: Something I learned about insurance may help you (A2Shark)

I have had Haggerty Classic Ins. for about 4 years now. My policy does not stipulate a milage amount. The only requirements that they asked of me was that I am to have another auto & policy to use as a regular driver, a pic of Vette, it be kept in a locked garage and a verbally agreed on value of the Vette between the agent and myself. In my case the amount is $14,000.00. Sorry Chris, I know that's not good for bizz. :D Cost per year is 230.00 per year. L8TER, Paul.

Quick Reply: Something I learned about insurance may help you