C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Receiver Drier rebuild procedure

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Korevette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Receiver Drier rebuild procedure

I have been looking everywhere to locate a 1976 VIR Receiver Drier that will be compatible with 134a. In Canada we have no access to R12 and after research I am satisfied with the 134a results. It doesn't get to hot in Canada.

The suppliers I have found have original kits but not designed for 134a. They offer a VIR elimination kit but I am not interested with that.

I have considered servicing the existing VIR unit with 134a dessicant.

Can someone please advise of the procedure.

Dano,
Old 03-11-2010, 10:09 AM
mdj21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if you can get things from NAPA up there in the great white north, but if you have your original VIR, you can get a service kit from NAPA that is basically a new desicant bag and some o-rings. The desicant in the bag is type XH-7 and is compatable with both R12 and R134a.

Here is a link to the NAPA part (part number is 208517.)
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...517_0214991380

I'm not sure if they will ship to Canada or not, but atleast you know what kind of desicant you need now.

Good luck and I hope this helps.....

Mike.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Korevette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your reply Mike, you got me on the right track. We can get that dessicant up here in Canada, will be in the NAPA store tomorrow.

After reviewing your reply I found this automotive AC site that covered many things regarding the Reciever Drier and VIR. Heaps of information.

autoacforum.com

Thanks again !

Dano,

Get notified of new replies

To Receiver Drier rebuild procedure

Quick Reply: Receiver Drier rebuild procedure