C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-freeze leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Gun Laker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-freeze leak

I noticed today that my (Corvette 1977 L-48 w/ auto tranny) engine was leaking a few drops of anti-freeze from what looks like from the end of the crankshaft just before the torque converter. I already have the bottom cover under the flywheel off so I could look way up inside. The engine was rebuilt this fall, but this is the first time I have had any leaks. The fluid was green, water like and had a sweet like taste. I think this is an odd place for a leak of anti-freeze. I can not see that it is running from anywhere else. Any suggestions?
Old 03-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be a freeze plug. Some local parts stores carry a coolant pressure tester that you can rent. With the engine cold, pressurize the system and check for leaks. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:53 PM
71coupe454
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and one of those small mirrors on a stick might help see the back of the intake..
Old 03-09-2010, 06:20 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

If you had a head gasket leak, it could run down to where you are seeing it now. I seriously doubt that it is coming from a main seal. But, you could have a cracked block (oh, I hope not...).
Old 03-10-2010, 09:46 AM
jlaw68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it could also be coming from the backside of the intake. just had to change the intake gaskts on my old truck because when it would get hot and pressurize it would weep a little between the intake and the head leaving a little puddle under the engine.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Gun Laker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the car up on a hoist today and found where the coolant was coming from. It was weeping out of a freeze plug on the driver's side of the block. It was running down to the oil pan, running to the back and dripped off the lowest part of the oil pan that goes under the rear seal. I tapped the plug in a little further and that seems to have cleared it up. It had been flush with the block, but tapped it back about a 1/16" in further. It was just a few drips, but now they are gone! Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by Gun Laker; 03-12-2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: missing words
Old 03-12-2010, 11:05 PM
mydejavooo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gun Laker
I got the car up on a hoist today and found where the coolant was coming from. It was weeping out of a freeze plug on the driver's side of the block. It was running down to the oil pan, running to the back and dripped off the lowest part of the oil pan that goes under the rear seal. I tapped the plug in a little further and that seems to have cleared it up. It had been flush with the block, but tapped it back about a 1/16" in further. It was just a few drips, but now they are gone! Thanks for the replies.
Had the SAME thing happen on my old 78...and it GUSHED out of a rusty old freeze plug!! It was a real treat to get to, but you gotta do what you gotta do! Glad to see you were able to get her all fixed up. Just keep an eye on it.

Deja

Get notified of new replies

To Anti-freeze leak

Quick Reply: Anti-freeze leak