C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-freeze leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Gun Laker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-freeze leak

I noticed today that my (Corvette 1977 L-48 w/ auto tranny) engine was leaking a few drops of anti-freeze from what looks like from the end of the crankshaft just before the torque converter. I already have the bottom cover under the flywheel off so I could look way up inside. The engine was rebuilt this fall, but this is the first time I have had any leaks. The fluid was green, water like and had a sweet like taste. I think this is an odd place for a leak of anti-freeze. I can not see that it is running from anywhere else. Any suggestions?
Old 03-09-2010, 03:54 PM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

Could be coming from the back of the intake manifold where the water passages in the head are. I had a similar problem and it turned out that's where the leak was coming from. Check the torque on your intake manifold.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Gun Laker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thegazman
Could be coming from the back of the intake manifold where the water passages in the head are. I had a similar problem and it turned out that's where the leak was coming from. Check the torque on your intake manifold.
I thought about the intake as being an issue. I will re-torque per spec again and see. What path did the coolant take in your leak? Another thought I had, was maybe from the freeze plugs?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:56 PM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

Yes, it could be a freeze plug. My 79, L-82 was leaking at the very back of the intake manifold and running down the back of the engine and dripping off of flywheel cover.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:13 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

My money is on a freeze plug also. My leak worked its way down the back right side of the engine and ended up dripping off the starter bolt heads. The plug rusted through from the inside. Sometimes it leaked sometimes it sealed itself only to start leaking again. Pulled the engine and replaced all of them. So far so good. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Anti-freeze leak

Quick Reply: Anti-freeze leak