C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backfiring. Cold and out of time or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:00 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Backfiring. Cold and out of time or something else?

Ok now I am just gunshy and paranoid. I fired the car up today for the first time since no oil pressure. I heard no knocks, grinding , banging or any other bad mechanical noises. What I did get was some back firing out of the right side. I did not have a chance to get the motor warm because the oil filter did not seal (yet another set back). Did the backfiring occur because it had not gotten warm and I was just close enough on the timing after reinstalling the distributor to get it to crank? Something else? I did check the valves and they were all set the same as they had been for about the last year. So this tells me I don't have a valve train problem. Was it just cold and out of time?

On the oil filter issue. For some reason the filter is not sealing to the block with the old stock bypass adapter installed. Is that peice supposed to have a gasket between it and the block? I never had one before. I have tried 2 oil filters and neither has sealed. The leak is in the same location each time so that leads me to beleive that the oil filter adapter is not installed correctly somehow.

Thanks
Wade
Old 03-03-2010, 10:13 PM
captl27
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much did you crank it before it started. could you have flooded it enough to fowl the plugs. fowled plugs will delay spark therefore causing a back fire. Timing of course can cause a back fire could you have put it back a tooth off or maybe 180 out.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by captl27
How much did you crank it before it started. could you have flooded it enough to fowl the plugs. fowled plugs will delay spark therefore causing a back fire. Timing of course can cause a back fire could you have put it back a tooth off or maybe 180 out.
Thanks I will check for fouled plugs. I would think that that is definately possible as it took a while to get it running. It has always been very cold natured, especially after sitting for a long time.

Right now I have a floor full of kitty litter to soak up the 2 qts of oil that got pumped out. Once that is done i am pulling the filter and the stock bypass adapter off and replacing with the O-ring fitted adapter I used before. That part was not the culprit last time. It was the sandwich adapter and my own stupidity that appears to have caused the no oil pressure issue. Hopefully when I do this the oil filter will seal as it is supposed to. If not.....
Old 03-04-2010, 08:42 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRat
Thanks I will check for fouled plugs. I would think that that is definately possible as it took a while to get it running. It has always been very cold natured, especially after sitting for a long time.

Right now I have a floor full of kitty litter to soak up the 2 qts of oil that got pumped out. Once that is done i am pulling the filter and the stock bypass adapter off and replacing with the O-ring fitted adapter I used before. That part was not the culprit last time. It was the sandwich adapter and my own stupidity that appears to have caused the no oil pressure issue. Hopefully when I do this the oil filter will seal as it is supposed to. If not.....
what year block do you have??
Old 03-04-2010, 09:05 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by midyearvette
what year block do you have??
Gen IV '70's block. Last time I had this problem the bypass adapter had broken in half.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:01 AM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No such thing as "a tooth off". A drunk monkey could drop the distributor into place and as long as the wires, cap, and rotor are in sync, she'll run fine.

And if the distributor was "180 degrees off", it won't run at all. Instead of pointing at the #1 after the compression stroke the rotor would be pointing at the #6 after the exhaust stroke.

I'm assuming you've double-checked the firing order.

Backfiring is usually caused by a vacuum leak causing some lean-out. Our Vettes have a 100 places vacuum could be leaking so start at the carb and work out.

Another possibility is a broken valve spring(s).

FWIW
Old 03-04-2010, 02:37 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wade

The bolts for the stock adapter are a special head to clear the filter. If you used regular bolts the filter will not seat. I had to get the bolts from a local dealer & no I did not use a gasket.

If it ran fine before, the popping is probably a timing issue or a loose wire

Jim
Old 03-04-2010, 02:56 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Engine is running. No leaks, rattles, or internal noises. I am still getting a backfire through the exhaust. I did not have time to get it up to operating temperature before my lunch hour ended. I have back fired through the carb numerous times. Would a blown power valve cause a rough idle and back firing???

Thanks
Wade
Old 03-04-2010, 03:27 PM
JIM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hamburger Cam, Ground round.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:33 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JIM
Hamburger Cam, Ground round.
Checked the Valve settings prior to fire up. All were still set at .012. If I had a rounded lobe I would find a valve that had a much larger gap.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:13 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Look at all your vacuum lines, one is probably unhooked or not plugged
Old 03-04-2010, 07:06 PM
captl27
Instructor

You seem to be a very busy guy. If i were you I would check anything that you did with the ignition this last time you worked on it. When you pulled the distributer did you pull the wires out of the cap or just pull up the cap with the wire on it. Check to see if the rotor faces the #1 plug wire when the crank is at top dead center. It should point at #1 or be 180 out if it doesn't then that could be the problem

Last edited by captl27; 03-04-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:03 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

That was it!! Plugs must have been shot. Installed new plugs in it and it fired right up! The throttle had a quick response and no backfiring through the exhaust!!!!! I let it run in the driveway for 15 minutes. No leaks,knocks or back fires. OP stayed around 40 and temps around 185.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:20 PM
captl27
Instructor

Cool
Old 03-05-2010, 05:53 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

Glad you got it worked out Wade,

Let us know if your cooling issues go away

Neal

Get notified of new replies

To Backfiring. Cold and out of time or something else?

Quick Reply: Backfiring. Cold and out of time or something else?