C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing the nose on 73

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:50 AM
zigvs
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default removing the nose on 73

I know the car was hit back when and the nose was repaired halfass.I was wondering I see lot of you guys remove the nose when doing resto.I have the body off the frame right now,when the frame is done I want to take the nose off and put it on correctIs this a maor undertaking or should just try to tweak it on the frame?Its gong to need plastic work anyway.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:04 AM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You might want to look at removing the nose. You need to remove all the upper, lower and L&R side retainers. You have to be carefull because they have been exposed to the weather all these years and get corroded and rusty, sometimes they are siezed and will break off. If you have to repair the original urethane bumper, you might want to consider replacing, they are not an easy fix. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:15 PM
zigvs
Racer

Oh ,I wasn't clear enough.I'm talking about the entire front clip.Birdcage forward.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:23 PM
temvette72
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I removed mine with a sawzall because it was toast anyway! However, it is possible to carefully separate the clip from the bonding strips on the cowl. Use a wide flexible putty knife, and slowly work the seam apart. I have heard that using a heat gun helps alot. Even after I did "microsurgery" with the Sawzall, I had to separate the remaining part of the clip from the bonding strips. I was pretty successful, and only did very minor damage to the bonding strips on the cowl. Good luck!

Temvette72
Old 02-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Tumarr
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

in that case, you will need to remove the core support bolts, and all the bolts up forward for the bumper supports. then you need to cut the fenders with a cut off wheel or sawzaw right before the firewall since the glass is glued to it. then pry off the remainder from the fire wall. I just noticed you said the frame is already off, so you probably have all th bolts off already. so then its a matter of cutting the front off.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Z,
Perhaps you'll want to take a look at the threads by stinger12 and bb72. They both have done some serious fiberglass work on their cars and posted lots of pictures.
Removing the front clip and getting it back on SUCCESSFULLY is a big undertaking, but sometimes it's the smart thing to do depending on what work the clip needs.
God Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-27-2010, 03:38 PM
zigvs
Racer

I understand Alan.Thats why I'm asking.It doesn't look like simple job.and If I'm going to do it I want to do it right.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:37 PM
zigvs
Racer

bump
Old 02-28-2010, 09:21 PM
76yellow
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

I've done 3 so far. Removing the old clip is the easy part. If your not saving the clip a Sawsall is the quickest way. Installing the new clip is where the challenge begins. Especially if the fender wells are not in the clip. The hood hinges are mounted to the inner fender wells & if they are not bonded in the right place the hood will not fit where it has to be. (up & down in the front & forward & back in the front. You can do it but it takes alot of practice fitting before bonding.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Letournour 1850
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Had the same problem. Looked in to removing the clip but way to involed if you want to save the old one remember this is old fiberglass. So I did some adjusting if the hood lines upand you only seeit were the doors line up try to get the gap at the doors looking even, I did it by adding some fiberglass at the top and triming the bottom to create a even gap. Worked good for me.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Eckler's book is useful if you can find a copy.

The Glas-Ra series is good. Purchase both volumes.

http://www.glas-ra.com/v3_4.html

Get notified of new replies

To removing the nose on 73

Quick Reply: removing the nose on 73