Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette Sponsored by
VBP

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 02-23-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
retsamtev

Default warped quadrajet

Hey there,

I sent Lars an email about my carb yesterday before i signed up, he hasn't replyed yet and it's no rush but after reading almost all of his post it's sounding like he doesn't mess with them much anymore. So i thought i would go ahead and post my request to continue the quest of getting my carb fixed up.

the fuel bowl and air horn are warped other than that it's perfect as far as i can tell. Is there a way to fix this myself? does the "barker un-warping tool" work has anyone tried using it? Are there other proper ways to fix this? any insight would be great and any recommendations will be investigated.

Thanks,
Shelby
retsamtev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
Danish Shark
CF Senior Member

The Rochester Qjet book says to scrap it if bent...
Danish Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
7T1vette
CF Senior Member

How 'warped' is it? When you set one of the bowl splitlines on a flat surface, how much does it rock? You can use some feeler gauges to fit in the largest gap to steady it; that will tell you have much flatness error is present.
7T1vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Wuttin
CF Senior Member

Call Cliff...I spoke with him a while back and he mentioned there are ways to correct warping. I agree though that it most likely depends on how badly it is warped to start with that will determine the outcome. Slight warps are fixable, especially in the horn. I've also heard that thicker gaskets can be used between the horn and the casting to compensate for slight warping.

http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/

best of luck, Steve

Last edited by Wuttin; 02-23-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Wuttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
dennis
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by retsamtev View Post
Hey there,

I sent Lars an email about my carb yesterday before i signed up, he hasn't replyed yet and it's no rush but after reading almost all of his post it's sounding like he doesn't mess with them much anymore. So i thought i would go ahead and post my request to continue the quest of getting my carb fixed up.

the fuel bowl and air horn are warped other than that it's perfect as far as i can tell. Is there a way to fix this myself? does the "barker un-warping tool" work has anyone tried using it? Are there other proper ways to fix this? any insight would be great and any recommendations will be investigated.

Thanks,
Shelby
http://quadrajetcarburetors.com/unwarp-tool.html
dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
retsamtev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuttin View Post
Call Cliff...I spoke with him a while back and he mentioned there are ways to correct warping. I agree though that it most likely depends on how badly it is warped to start with that will determine the outcome. Slight warps are fixable, especially in the horn. I've also heard that thicker gaskets can be used between the horn and the casting to compensate for slight warping.

http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/

best of luck, Steve
thanks for the link Steve i just sent an email to them asking about the warpage. I got the horn pretty straight but i don't know how to get the bowl straight, there are spots that are as much as 1/16" off.

Shelby
Old 02-25-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
7T1vette
CF Senior Member

If they are that far off, they were probably that way from the factory. Those parts are die-cast. If they are not cooled properly in the mold, the metal will still be a bit soft and handling of the part can cause it to sag/warp. Ten thousandths of an inch [.010"] out-of-flat can be sanded flat by placing a sheet of sandpaper on a very flat surface (laminated counter top, etc.) and working the surface over the paper. But, it's a real question whether a part with 1/16" error will be serviceable with that much material removed....and it has to be flat on the top and bottom. It sure doesn't hurt to try it, other than the loss of some assembly time. You may still end up throwing that piece away...but, you might get lucky.
7T1vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:27 AM   #8
retsamtev

Cliff says he should be able to straighten it out.

has anyone used Cliff to get their q-jet unwarped?....what was your results?

Thanks,
Shelby
Old 02-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #9
bigvette1
CF Senior Member

Have not used Cliff to "unwarp" a carb, but for other services and tuning he is super. Look at his web site cliffshighperformanc.com
bigvette1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:29 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page warped quadrajet

Tags
air, airhorn, carb, fix, horn, jet, qjet, quadrajet, quadrajets, repair, rochester, unwarping, warp, warped, warping