C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody use Windjammer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 01:33 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Anybody use Windjammer?

It's the plexiglass looking thing that goes on the top of the t-top bar and fastens to the t-top mounting holes. It is supposed to reduce turbulance (sp.?) when driving with the t-tops off. They sell in all the major catalogs for $150. Do they actually reduce wind noise in the cab and are they built to stand up pretty decent? Does it fit in the back of my 81' alright when I switch it with the t-tops? I enjoy driving the car with the tops out, but if I get over 35 or 40 the wind causes my ears to explode and about sucks my head right off my shoulders. What do you think?

-Justin
Old 03-08-2002, 04:48 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anybody use Windjammer? (Dalannex)

Justin, just put an old football helmet on and tape the ear holes shut, a sure bet way to catch the eye of all the good looking chicks! :) :jester :)
Old 03-08-2002, 04:50 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Anybody use Windjammer? (john's '81 mouse)

I just take the rear window out, then the air just gets sucked right out, no more turbulence!
Old 03-08-2002, 05:41 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: Anybody use Windjammer? (john's '81 mouse)

Justin, just put an old football helmet on and tape the ear holes shut, a sure bet way to catch the eye of all the good looking chicks! :) :jester :)
:D
Old 03-08-2002, 06:26 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

I have one that came with the car. The only time I used it was when I test drove the car, but the previous owner claimed that it does make a difference.
Old 03-08-2002, 06:46 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 368 Likes on 217 Posts

Default Re: Anybody use Windjammer? (The_Dude)

To The_Dude: Test it out for us and give a report back.
Roger
Old 03-08-2002, 07:29 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Default Re: Anybody use Windjammer? (RMS73)

It might be a little while. We had snow today and the dry months don't really start until June. :nopity :cheers:
Old 03-09-2002, 03:25 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: Anybody use Windjammer? (The_Dude)

John, I could try the football helmet thing, but I'm afraid it may pressurize and decapitate me by ripping my head off. :D I think the wife would like that idea because I think the "chick detractant factor" is fine with her. :cheers:

I would love to take my rear window out, but the only way to do that on the 81' is with a hammer, and that would not only be expensive, but a bit moist in the rain as well.

There has got to be somebody out there that has used one of these. They aren't the best looking thing in the world, but the turbulance when I drive without the tops on isn't fun either. Am I the only person with the turbulance problem? BTW, there won't be any test driving here for awhile either. We got a he!! of a snowstorm going on right now. :eek:
Old 03-09-2002, 04:02 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

I know someone in Tulsa that had one of those things. He really liked it. Never rode in it with the windjammer on though. Sorry....
Old 03-09-2002, 04:59 AM
TQ67
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had one and been using it almost continuously for 10 years on my 71' Roadster. I LOVE IT !!! :cool:

It cuts down about 60-70 percent of wind noise and a LOT of glare, becasue it is slightly tinted. I think it looks good with the line of the windshield as well. I'd never consider a long trip in a roadster without one.

WInd noise and baffling are largely a function of your height in my car and convertibles I've driven. It seems once you get over 5'11'' you tend to get the annoyances.

This is funny, but I originally bought it when I was driving to work every day with the car and the top down. My problem is with my type of hair, no matter how good I looked leaving my house, I showed up at work looking like...

DON KING !!!!

:troll OR :jester

The windjammer mad a big difference in that regard too.
Old 03-09-2002, 01:25 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: Anybody use Windjammer? (TQ67)

I think I am going to buy one and give it a try. Of course I can't try it until this summer, but I'll try it.
Old 03-09-2002, 02:45 PM
gerry c
Racer

I would love to take my rear window out, but the only way to do that on the 81' is with a hammer, and that would not only be expensive, but a bit moist in the rain as well.
Hammers are not that expensive. Harborfreight has them on sale sometimes for $3.00 for a big 20 oz. frameing one. That three dollars could also buy half a box of shotgun shells, so it is your call :jester

The windjammer thing should help some though. Hopefully some DUDE will get back to us with some info. He could try a comparsion test with and without it in the snow.... Get some facts on it, ie. without it he got four shoeboxes full of snow in his car and with it only half..... that would realy prove how well it works :jester

Old 03-09-2002, 02:48 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Anybody use Windjammer? (TQ67)

Hmm, I thought these were on ly for T tops due to the requirement for connections/hold downs at the center.
Old 03-09-2002, 03:11 PM
TQ67
Advanced

Default Re: Anybody use Windjammer? (flynhi)

Mine comes with two bolts basically that connect though the upper windshield frame on both sides. Pretty quick to put on and take off.

I keep a samll screw driver handy in case I see rain coming...
Old 03-09-2002, 09:08 PM
tangee-vette
Racer

Default Re: Anybody use Windjammer? (gerry c)

Hammers are not that expensive. Harborfreight has them on sale sometimes for $3.00 for a big 20 oz. frameing one.
According to the Goverment, hammers run about $460.00 :smash:
Oh, I forgot that's only when using taxpayer money.

:lol: :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody use Windjammer?

Quick Reply: Anybody use Windjammer?