C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Chadborne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carburetor

I have a 70, 4-speed, 454 that came with a Holley carb when I bought it 2 years ago. Had trouble with it and wanted to go with the traditional Rochester and bought a rebuilt one. Am having problems with it and want to buy a new carb, but don't know which one to go with; Holley, Edelbrock, etc, much less the correct model number (CFM, etc).

Not going to race it, just driving mostly around town. But do want it to perform the way it was designed to perform.

Would like to get suggestions from experienced vette owners.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:48 PM
oleyellar72
Advanced

what size holley is it
Old 02-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 455 Likes on 355 Posts

What kind of rebuild did you get?
If it was a generic rebuild from AZ or Pep Boys, etc., it may be of questionable quallity.
I've heard good things about the Jet Products rebuilt Q-jets, or buy a book and rebuild it yourself.
Do you have a square bore or spread bore intake?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Chadborne
Advanced

Default Carburetor

I believe it was a 4150 (650 CFM). I got rid of it. It was not the original. The car came disassembled pretty much when I bought it and the guy said he thought that was the carburetor on it when he bought it.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:06 PM
oleyellar72
Advanced

I bought a 72 sm blk in tha sme condition I've started a frame off rebuild 3 yrs ago and not near finished yet
Old 02-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running a Holley 770 cfm Street Avenger on my '70 454, 4-speed. No problems with it other than it makes the tank go low on fuel.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:11 PM
oleyellar72
Advanced

where does your foot stay LOL LOL LOL
Old 02-16-2010, 08:17 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 361 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadborne
I have a 70, 4-speed, 454 that came with a Holley carb when I bought it 2 years ago. Had trouble with it and wanted to go with the traditional Rochester and bought a rebuilt one. Am having problems with it and want to buy a new carb, but don't know which one to go with; Holley, Edelbrock, etc, much less the correct model number (CFM, etc).

Not going to race it, just driving mostly around town. But do want it to perform the way it was designed to perform.

Would like to get suggestions from experienced vette owners.
Quadrajets are great carbs when rebuilt by people that know what they are doing. There are several carb shops out there where you can get that quadrajet redone for less then you would by a new Holley for.

But if you want to change, a vacuum secondary holley, list 3310, with 780 CFM of air flow will run just fine on most big blocks. In order to run this carb you'll need a square bore manifold. I don't know if you'll have enough hood clearance to put a spread bore adapter on if you have a stock manifold.

I wouldn't give up on the quadrajet just yet............

Tom
Old 02-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oleyellar72
where does your foot stay LOL LOL LOL
It prefers the full on postion.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Chadborne
Advanced

Default Carburetor

Thanks for all the input. I believe I will stay with the rebuilt Rochester for now. I've replaced a couple of parts and for now it runs pretty good. The only problem now is a little gas leak. I have been unable to locate the source of the leak. It only leaks a little gas on the manifold, which my friend said not to worry, it will evaporate.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:34 PM
mandingo214
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadborne
Thanks for all the input. I believe I will stay with the rebuilt Rochester for now. I've replaced a couple of parts and for now it runs pretty good. The only problem now is a little gas leak. I have been unable to locate the source of the leak. It only leaks a little gas on the manifold, which my friend said not to worry, it will evaporate.
You may want to worry about a gas leak. Besides the fire potential from the outside leak, leaking on the inside can thin the oil and kill your engine.

It would be time well spent tracking the leak down. It very possibly is the reason for the engine not running right.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Fix the leak- if you are going to get car advice from a friend, you need one that knows something about cars.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Project80
Racer

Please, get the leak fixed, they only get worse.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

As that liquid gasoline evaporates, it becomes many times more explosive as a gas (gaseous state). Get that leak fixed before you end up with a real "bomb".
Also, if you call Holley and talk with a tech, they will let you know exactly what number carb you should use. Everyone has an opinion, but for the actual answer, make the call. I had 10 different suggestions for my Q-jet replacement and when I called, I ended up with a spreadbore double pumper that uses the original divorced choke setup, throttle cable, and even the original air cleaner. Try that with a universal Holley from Summit or Jegs. By the way, after you call and get the number, call Summit and Jegs to get the best price. They'll order anything that's not in their catalogs for you. Good Luck!
Old 02-19-2010, 04:32 AM
marz
Burning Brakes

Look at Smith Inductions. They specialize in these carbs.

Get notified of new replies

To Carburetor

Quick Reply: Carburetor