C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, changing rear diff seals

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 12:04 PM
2armor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here it is.. http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=533
Old 02-05-2010, 12:16 PM
2armor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by charliek
What is the purpose of the reinforcement plate under the x-member? Is it a safety thing? I have been checking the diff and found that one of the yokes has some play in it. would new bearings take care of that or could it be something more complicated? How tough are the bearings to put in once the rear cover is off and the diff is on the work bench?
I rebuilt mine from parade rest on the bench top. Paint, clutch packs, bearings, seal, 3.70 ring/pinion swap. Not terribly hard but I had all the tools. I started by just wanting to change the fluid, gasket, and seals too then the whole thing turned into a "do it right while Im at" ordeal.

The hardest part was get the 250 foot lbs or whatever it was to set the pinion drag on the crush washer and about an hour of gear paint/shim tests. Getting the HD Carbon clutch pack springs back in was a mother too. The aren't called HD for nothing.

When you open it up you may find other issues. I found I needed a drain plug installed, cover gasket, the 2 posi clutch pack retainer clips were almost worn in half, new yoke circlips, and seals.

Then I decided I might as well toss new posi clutch, bearings, and gear ratio too while its open.

Quick Reply: Help, changing rear diff seals