C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

110 Octane Leaded Race Fuel...Will it hurt my mildly built vette?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:14 AM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 96z51
unless its back halved or has a turbo(s) its most likely not that fast.
Not speaking for him but I think he meant the smell of it...at least that's what I was agreeing with...
Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 AM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 96z51
according to an online compression ratio calculator you are at 10.116 with saying your piston is .025 in the hole which is about normal for an unmachined block
I'm showing piston clearance(in piston) is .00025-.00035
Old 02-05-2010, 01:20 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by DRIVESHAFT
I made some DCR calculations. Assuming that your compresion ratio is 10.5:1, and your cam is 270 duration on the intake & exhaust, has a 110 lsa, and is installed with the icl @ 106, then your DCR is 8.6:1. Those cam timing numbers are actually for a 270 Comp magnum hydraulic though, becasue as far as I can tell looking at their catalog, Crane didnt grind a 270 / .470 cam.
Anyway, with an 8.6:1 DCR it isnt a sure thing that you need race gas at all.
If I were you, I would run it on super unleaded to see if it pings. If it does ping I would start mixing the race gas in with the super unleaded until it stops. Just running a few gallons of race gas to a tank of super unleaded would likely be all you would ever need.
Or you can just run the race gas. The only thing its liable to hurt is your wallet.
If the DCR is 8.6 to 1 you might be ok on pump fuel but if it is tuned for max HP probably need a couple gallons of the 110 topped off with 93. If the compression is only 10.1 to 1 you will probably be OK on 93. The thing is some builds run fine on pump fuel at 8.6 or 8.7 to 1 and other clatter at 8.2.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:26 AM
forvicjr
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by austinseanchris
Not speaking for him but I think he meant the smell of it...at least that's what I was agreeing with...
Yes, the smell was what i was refering to, but there are a lot of sleepers out there. that the only thing you notice is the smell of race fuel. Then you see them at the track and they roll off a 6.90 in the 1/8.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:30 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
i have read that running higher octane than needed will actually hurt performance because as octane goes up BTUs go down meaning that there is less actual energy in a gallon of 116 octane as in a gallon of 87.
It makes sense. After all octane is just simply resistance to detonation from compression. The more volatile the fuel is the easier it will explode when compressed.
Back in college (1967) I tried a tank of 103 octane Chevron Custom Supreme in my '64, instead of the Super Shell I'd been using. The car had more power (burning rubber with a less throttle), and I decided for a few pennies more (still under 40 cents a gallon!)I'd switch to "the good stuff". I've always kept track of gas mileage in a log, and soon found that, driven the same as before, my mileage dropped from 15 to 13 and change. I went back to "lowly" 100 octane and the relative economy returned.

So I agree higher octane fuel is more readily consumed, or "burns quicker" in my experience.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by forvicjr
AAAAAAAAAAMEN!!!! Icouldnt of said it better my self... About time someone else besides me bust this guys ***** for being so bull headed,and closed minded,etc,etc,etc...Ive experienced your pain myfriend,putem on your ignore list and go on about your business.
Sure, yeah, ignore Mike. He has already agreed that he is dumber than I am.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Well, I obviously regret participating in this thread. I frequently make the mistake of not picking up on the subtleties of someone who is asking a serious technical question and may end up hearing things that contradict their preconceived ideas, vs. someone who just wants others to agree with them no matter how misinformed and off the track they might be.

You appear to be the latter case, so I should have avoided posting. No matter. Yes, I am very blunt with my answers. I don't come here to chat and smile or talk sh*t like many others do.

Please, please block me so that I no longer annoy you. If you like, I'll also delete all my posts. You'll still end up with same net result of NOBODY agreeing with you that it's a good idea to run race gas for other than feel good reasons. But I repeat myself. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:04 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by austinseanchris
Pretty nifty site I located before doing the head work that helped out tremendously...http://earchitect.50megs.com/corvette/vspecs.html
that site claims L-48 connecting rod weighs 13.7 ounces.
That's less than 400 grams. BS! There's a passel of pro builders around Concord NC who know a stock base 350 passenger car rod weighs a LOT more than 400g ... don't trust me ... ask them. If they were close to 400g, they'd be worth lotsa $dough$. I've never weighed one without bolts, but even sans rodbolts I expect it's over 400g. And who TF actually sets up & measures a comb chamber to the hundredth of a cc? Across production, they vary at least a couple whole cc's both +/-. Hey, check that duration (~340) & overlap for L-82 cam; JUNK! Nice lookin' spec sheet there but it's tainted (even if they claim its data came from on high).

While assisting GM's suppliers w/ process improvements & validations, I "acquired" several "doc-controlled stamped approved" engineering drawings for GM parts. I retain them to this day but No, I'm not sharing them. I've worked with hundreds of others. It is not uncommon for such drawings to bear mistakes/errors; usually only one / minor but sometimes many & sometimes gross. Even though engineers tom, dick & harry have signed off on them.

Suggest don't trust everything you find on internet, including this thread; nor even this very post I've just written.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:16 AM
2armor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the 8.6 DCR is too much for a pump gas, he could alway retard his cam 4* to lower the DCR, right?

Easier said then done and I learned the hard way to but: plan the build right for what you want, save the $$$, order parts, pull and build!

I'm going through the build in phases too only because of tight $$ issues and setting priorities. Otherwise, like many of you, it would be game on.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:53 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 252 Posts

Guys...... The guy just wants to run race gas in his car...thats it. It won't do any damage to his engine (he could get more performance from 93 octane) but he wants to run race gas....and feel good about it.
Fill it with 110.... turn the key, and enjoy....isn't that what its all about?
Old 02-05-2010, 05:19 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jackson
that site claims L-48 connecting rod weighs 13.7 ounces.
That's less than 400 grams. BS! There's a passel of pro builders around Concord NC who know a stock base 350 passenger car rod weighs a LOT more than 400g ... don't trust me ... ask them.
as the owner of that site. I make no claims as to the accuracy of the specifications included in the package that gm sent me as a part of their restoration pack. I only claim that is what the spec sheet claims.

I do Agree however that one should never take on faith, what one reads on the Internet, or anywhere else for that matter.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:15 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sstocker31
Guys...... The guy just wants to run race gas in his car...thats it. It won't do any damage to his engine (he could get more performance from 93 octane) but he wants to run race gas....and feel good about it.
Fill it with 110.... turn the key, and enjoy....isn't that what its all about?
You got it bro...

Quick Reply: 110 Octane Leaded Race Fuel...Will it hurt my mildly built vette?!?