C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of 63 Convertible in barn

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 08:56 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pics of 63 Convertible in barn

I am just back from checking out the 63 Roadster. Here is the whole story with three pics. The Vette had been sitting in the barn longer than I had thought. It has not been cranked in 10 years. The car has its original paint. The interior was exceptional. I was surprised when I opened the door. Seats, dash, door panels and carpet all in great condition. Has original radio and power windows. Everything seems to be there, except the rear panel under the back bumpers where he had removed and added a trailer hitch. It might even be laying around in the barn somewhere.

The chrome grill that goes on a '63 's hood was even there , but was covered with a good coat of dust, and rat and bird droppings. Someone had made a nest under the hood. The frame and engine showed some crusty rust, but nothing serious.

It will take a thorough restoration. She had a price she wanted, and I made her an offer, and she countered and I countered. We are $3500 apart, but she said let her think about it and she would call me.

Old 03-03-2002, 09:02 PM
xrated
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pics of 63 Convertible in barn (bamavettes)

PAY THE MONEY!!!

Its a great looking car even though it is covered with dirt!

In this case its better to pay the differance and get the car than to loose it over $3500.

Just for example these C2s get huge money down here. This car is going for around Australian $60K. Its far from finished, missing both headlight assemblies. Most hardtop c2s are on the market for $75K AUS. Convertables are rarer.

http://www.rpdata.net.au/scans/mvsal...7/KN135-05.JPG

http://www.rpdata.net.au/scans/mvsal...7/KN135-06.JPG

[Modified by xrated, 7:08 PM 3/3/2002]

[Modified by xrated, 7:12 PM 3/3/2002]
Old 03-03-2002, 09:05 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Pics of 63 Convertible in barn (xrated)

I don't think $3500 is worth losing this car over.
Old 03-03-2002, 09:06 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

bama,
Your $3500 apart. Exactly what did you offer??????????????? It`s not like anyone "here" knows where the car is sitting. ...redvetracr

Old 03-03-2002, 09:07 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You gotta keep counter offering...don't lose it :cry :cry :cry
Old 03-03-2002, 09:08 PM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Pics of 63 Convertible in barn (redvetracr)

It's in rough shape, but it sure is beautiful. Give her some time to think about it, and maybe you can get her down $1000 in a few weeks. Unless you really feel you are destined to have the car, give her the $3500. Did you show her all the information you had ready about the price. To show that your offer is probably closer to a fair price?
Old 03-03-2002, 09:11 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Pics of 63 Convertible in barn (ddn)

so she wants $4000 for the car?? :lol:

Amazing how somebody has something that they think is soooooo valuable, yet they will let it get completely covered with bird and rat poop! So, seriously... she wants $10k and you offer 6.5? I think I have mentioned before, these "projects" always seem to be worth a lot more than I think they are worth!! :) MJ
Old 03-03-2002, 09:15 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I can see it now, in the way distant future, bamavettes starting one of those "MISSED OPPORTUNITY" threads! :lol: j/k
I bet you are a wicked good poker player.

Good luck Man! I actually feel like you WILL be the owner of that car.
At the VERY LEAST, do you feel like you could easily sell it for the same price as her last best offer? If so, pay the money and do your soul searchin' while that little jewel is sitting in YOUR garage.

Funny how we forum members have no remorse over spending each others money eh! :D
Old 03-03-2002, 09:18 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hang in there. Not assuming your offer is low. Looked at an advertised car that a man wanted too much for. Made him an offer & told him would check back in a few weeks. A few weeks later reality had set in & bought it.

:cool:
Old 03-03-2002, 09:25 PM
paso
Burning Brakes

We are $3500 apart, but she said let her think about it and she would call me.
I see a newspaper advertisement in her future. watch out that's what she'll do.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:03 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Go for it. I just hope I stumble across something like this one day. All I want is one opportunity...that's all...
Old 03-03-2002, 10:31 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

She lives out in farming and cattle country in the middle of nowhere. She want have a whole lot of people finding her out there. She does not plan on advertising. She has been staying with relatives out of town about 100 miles away. She just came home to meet with me.

Based on condition and what it will take to restore. I offered what I could live with and wanted to be fair with her. I can see major restoration and many bucks down the road, but I could get lucky and engine be O.K. and a little mechanical work, and a good detailing. I wanted to show her the price guides, but she did not care. She wanted $15,000. Her counter offer was $13,500.

I can not let my emotions make my decision, but I have to handle this just like any business decision.

If it all works out, that will be fine. If it does not, then it was just not to be.

Woody
Old 03-03-2002, 10:40 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Pics of 63 Convertible in barn (Ed T)

EdT
I don't think those are side exhaust "covers"
They are "THRUSH" side exhausts and were relatively popular in the mid to late sixties. I had a set on my 68 but finally took them off because passengers kept burning themselves as they stepped out of car.
Also, the factory side exhaust tips angled away from the car while the THRUSH pipes aimed straight down at the pavement. As a result, they were quite loud and what really ticked me off was that after you washed dried and waxed the car and then fired up the engine, you would blow a cloud of dust all over the clean car because of the straight downward angle of the exhaust.
They are made of heavy brushed, finned aluminum.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:44 PM
TONYS68L36
Drifting

Just get it Bama!!! You know you need another Vette:D
Old 03-03-2002, 10:50 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Based on condition and what it will take to restore. I offered what I could live with and wanted to be fair with her. I can see major restoration and many bucks down the road . . .

I can not let my emotions make my decision, but I have to handle this just like any business decision.
I hear you! But if you want to restore this car to show condition, your probably looking at $15,000 - $20,000 to get her top notch along with a lot of sweat . . . so, what's another 10%-15%? I know emotions shouldn't control the deal, but don't let it go over a couple thousand. :nono: If she went nuts advertising that car and was patient, she could probably get $13,000 easy and probably more. It's not what the car is worth, it's the current market value and what would someone pay.

Keep us posted, we're all living through you! :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 03-03-2002, 10:54 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Woody,
With respect, I would hesitate. I do not know the time available to you (and your financial resources) but I see much money ahead with this one and hundreds of hours of your time or that of someone else. So many projects are started but never finished. I contrast that car with a reasonably solid starting base as below and wonder. I quite frankly would let it pass. But I do not have the patience to do that kind of restore. Look into your future and ask yourself if this piece of steel and fibreglass has a place in it. That is definitely not meant to be condescending!
http://www.mershons.com/view_photo.a...image=Exterior
Old 03-03-2002, 11:45 PM
73-454
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Pics of 63 Convertible in barn (paul79)

Woody

Many times the reason the car is left to rot in a barn, is because something major broke such as the engine or tranny etc etc etc. You would be much further ahead if you bought a no 2 or 3. Like the saying says " Let some-one else find out how much it cost to restore a car" Go to an auction and by a running vette. Even a running vette takes a lot of $$$ to keep running. I would walk

Get notified of new replies

To Pics of 63 Convertible in barn

Old 03-03-2002, 11:52 PM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Pics of 63 Convertible in barn (74-Roadster)

It's not what the car is worth, it's the current market value and what would someone pay.

:yesnod: :yesnod:
Current market value IS what something is worth, IMHO.
Old 03-03-2002, 11:54 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Pics of 63 Convertible in barn (73-454)

Paul and 73-454,
I understand. That is the true reality. It sure could be a black hole. I have been there before. I have been lucky in the past on these old cars, but do not want to push it to far.

I will hold firm on my offer.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:05 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

bama,
It is YOUR MONEY but if it was me i think i would go with $11000 cash in my hand and $2500 in my pocket and not leave without the car.
...redvetracr

Quick Reply: Pics of 63 Convertible in barn