C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you adjust a rochester carb choke?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 11:26 AM
xpoc454
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default How do you adjust a rochester carb choke?

I just go a remanufactured rochester 4 barrel for my 427 69 corvette and was wondering what adjustments might need to be done.

All the carbs I have had in the past had electric chokes, this car is the first to have a automatic choke that is based on the intake manifold.
Is there any kind of specific choke adjustment I need or may need to do on the carburator to get the choke to work properly when I place it on the car.

What is the default idle for a 390 427 also, if anyone remembers it off hand.

thanks
jim
Old 12-27-2009, 11:55 AM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is the spring mounted in the well on the intake manifold, the only time you can check it is when the engine is stone cold. Then you must open the throttle [engine not running] and push on the choke horn. Thats the flapper over the front air intake chamber on the quadrajet. It should not close all the way. The flapper is left open a little bit to allow air into the carburetor. There is a specification for what that opening width is. I don't have the books in front of me to tell you that. You can bend the rod a little to achieve the proper opening. But if your having problems with the choke you may need a new bimetal spring. It depends how long the spring has ben on the car. The spring should be available through most parts stores. There is a little tin cover over that spring as well that traps engine heat to make the spring work properly. Make sure it is there if you can. I hope this helps a little bit.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:10 PM
xpoc454
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks it helps a lot. I havent had a chance to put it on yet, but I will by this weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you adjust a rochester carb choke?

Quick Reply: How do you adjust a rochester carb choke?