C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a best kit 454 to 496 Stroker

Old 12-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Barebones
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a best kit 454 to 496 Stroker

Thinking about turning my LS5 into a Stroker and wondering if there is a good upgrade put together kit out there,and Recomendations??
Old 12-24-2009, 05:15 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

There are a number of companies who offer "stroker kits" which include complete reciprocating assemblies. The thing you really have to watch for is to make certain the pistons in such a kit will work with your heads and that the resulting final compression ratio matches well with your intended cam. So, depending on those variables you could end up having to buy a la carte anyway to avoid compromising. ...and I'm not just saying this because I happen to have a NIB forged 4.25" Eagle laying around, either (and priced to go).

As for setting up your combo, kit or not, you still have to do enough homework so that the build meets your needs, but don't get caught up in chasing every last pony (as is too often done in magazine buildups) if maintaining your LS5's good street manners is on your priority list. That said, the general rule is you can usually get away with a more radical combo with longer strokes, but, again, do the homework to make sure the finished product best suits your needs.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Barebones
Intermediate

Thanks for your thoughts on this..I'm just beginning the search for info..
Old 12-24-2009, 07:13 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,873 Likes on 911 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Take a look through these articles I wrote for Corvette Enthusiast magazine. This was the motor we built for Doug's C-3 named Bruiser. Do a search here and you can see all about the car.

While this is probably a lot crazier than you're after, the concepts are still the same. The Callies Compstar line of stuff is a nice kit and not too crazy on price. I like SCAT stuff too, especially for cranks, but their rods are sweet too. Eagle is good but you really have to watch the machine work closely...but again you have to double check all of that anyway.

I would use a steel crank and forged pistons for sure. Not cast or hypereutectic. Get one that will internally balance.

Another good source is a guy named Mark Jones. He sells complete motors under the Vortecpro name on the net and builds real nice stuff for very reasonable prices. You can get 650Hp with iron oval port heads and a hyd roller cam. Do a search here and on the Chevelle Forum about him.

Page 40

http://editions.amospublishing.com/K...1&pagenum=1&f=

Page 24

Page 24

JIM
Old 12-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

I had an internal balanced Eagle Rotating with SRP pistons. very good quality.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:37 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/produ...82&CtgID=28759 Nice kit for the money.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:56 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 496 "kit" ....

Hi

Gofast on here is building my '71 LS 5 into a stroker. The problem was pistons and getting the right CR with the stock heads.

I also wanted all American made parts. That was a bit of a hassle and resulted in more money spent. Such as life ... its a Corvette right?

We ended up with Probe pistons, Crower Crank and Crower rods. Not a kit, but parts that we liked and wanted to use for our combination. Oh and it will be a 489 CID mill. When the heads are done we'll decide on a cam. It should be a "stock" looking but strong engine.

carbster09

PS Flatlander had some nice kits on the web.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Barebones
Intermediate

Default Thanks for all the good info

I would like to thank all for your good info and I'll look into all of this before deciding and will post my decision,,To all Merry x-mas

Get notified of new replies

To Is there a best kit 454 to 496 Stroker

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is there a best kit 454 to 496 Stroker