C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Antifreeze???

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 07:03 AM
not a '76
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I recently had a weird experience with coolant. I just installed my freshly built 496", freshly cleaned/rodded oem radiator and used Peak brand pre-mixed 50/50 coolant. I put in the 6-7 gals it takes to fill the system and drive it about 100 miles within a couple weekends. Then I had to drain the coolant out to repair a radiator leak that I inflicted with the shroud installation. Upon draining the coolant, it was all brown and chitty looking...I pulled the drain plugs out of the block out of curiousity and on one side the water wouldn't even drain out until I ran a screwdriver into the hole to break up the blockage..

I don't know what the hell happend but this motor was completely clean inside as was the radiator at the time of the coolant install. The pump/hoses/heater core etc was all brand new. I drained it all out and switched to Prestone pre-mixed 50/50 and it seems like it is staying clean. Only have about 50 miles on it though. I have no idea what happened but needless to say I won't be using Peak antifreeze or pre mix ever again.

its not Peak's fault. no matter how clean you think a motor is inside, it never is. whenever i put in a new motor, the first 20 minutes of break in also include a coolant system filled with water and some radiator quick flush. and every time that initial flush is full of nasty.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:53 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I run straight green in mine, no water. We don't get to zero, so I'm not too worried about freezing. My engines all cool fine and there's zero rust in any of the water jackets and no corrosion in radiators. It's still clear green after a couple of years, so I leave it alone.

Spilled DexCool doesn't kill cats nearly as quick a good ol' green. That's another good reason to stay away from Dex.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:39 AM
71coupe454
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by L88Plus
I run straight green in mine, no water. We don't get to zero, so I'm not too worried about freezing. My engines all cool fine and there's zero rust in any of the water jackets and no corrosion in radiators. It's still clear green after a couple of years, so I leave it alone.

Spilled DexCool doesn't kill cats nearly as quick a good ol' green. That's another good reason to stay away from Dex.
That is just so wrong! but I still had to laugh!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:51 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by not a '76
its not Peak's fault. no matter how clean you think a motor is inside, it never is. whenever i put in a new motor, the first 20 minutes of break in also include a coolant system filled with water and some radiator quick flush. and every time that initial flush is full of nasty.
The thing about mine was that the engine had been on two different dynos after it was built and the block was drained both times and compresses air blown through the pump ports in the block. Both times the water came out crystal clean after the dyno sessions. Yet after only about 80 miles of use the Peak pre-mix the system was brown and nasty. I know it doesn't make sense but.....
Old 12-17-2009, 09:54 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Most people don't flush their system nearly well enough.
This loosens a lot of the build up in the system and thru the heating/cooling cycles will then suspend it into the coolant.
Make sure you run a neutralizer thru the system after flushing like washing soda.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:11 AM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Use as a mix with water

Most people don't realize that anti-freeze also raises the point of boiling for water. That is why running straight water is not a good idea in a car like the c3. The way the radiator lays in the car does not lend itself well to airflow in the first place. But mixing anti-freeze with that helps to alleviate that situation. So mixing does two things, it allows the lowering of the freeze point and raises the boiling point in the summer. If I spent all that money for a product, I believe I would use it to its biggest advantage.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc.../chem03987.htm
Old 12-17-2009, 02:04 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 71coupe454
I thank Dexcool for bringing many many dollars into my shops from cooling system repairs over the years. It was allmost as good as neon did for me with thier head gaskets. I saw what dexcool was all about and I still left that crap in my new 99 S-10 thinking I would flush it every 30,000 instead of the 100,000 GM #.. So after flushing the system with a good machine at 30, 60, 90k.. I now at 115k on the truck have a leaking heater core, a leaking intake gasket and res tank that looks like mud in it.. I guess with cars evolving its allways gonna be something.. oh I forgot astro van idler arms..
My 96 S-10 at 50000 was a slug fest. I couldn't even drain the radiator until I jabbed a screw drive in the hole. The over flow looked like a mud pie. Just sharing
Old 12-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Clue
Advanced

I have just been told that mixing some different kind of anti-freeze will make your coolant slurry/slushy. He told me that mixing red anti-freeze with blue/green or vise verca will make my system slurry. Blue and green can be mixed, but red should never go into a system with blue or green.
Any of you heard something like this?
Old 12-23-2009, 04:54 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Clue
I have just been told that mixing some different kind of anti-freeze will make your coolant slurry/slushy. He told me that mixing red anti-freeze with blue/green or vise verca will make my system slurry. Blue and green can be mixed, but red should never go into a system with blue or green.
Any of you heard something like this?
Yes I have heard that. AC-Delco recommends against mixing the two as it "may degrade the coolant system's integrity".
Old 12-23-2009, 05:57 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

I use Sierra antifreeze from NAPA because i'm worried about my pets gettng into it. These POS C3s are always puking antifreeze and i don't want to pollute.

I've never heard that using pure antifreeze will raise the freezing point. I'm sorry but i think that is BS.

Pure antifreeze will not tranfer heat very well at all. I used pure antifreeze once and the car overheated right away. That's the real reason to mix water in.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:15 PM
73BLWN
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

I tried Evans NPGR this summer. I've got nothing bad to say about it. My Motown 400sb with a 671 blower never missed a beat. One of my two cooling fans died, and it ran very hot, but did not boil over. I also like the idea that it contracts as it freezes. If I recall correctly, the NPG+ would be best for a vehicle driven in the winter. I think the NPGR I'm running will thicken when it gets real cold out. I put some in a small glass jar, and kept it in my truck all last winter (MN). It never thickened up noticably. I don't here many people talk about Evans, I just thought I'd give it a try. So far so good.

http://www.evanscooling.com/

I also liked the anti-detonation properties.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Red 71
Pro

Location: Melbourne, Fla. 6 months- New Middletown, Ohio 6 months
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I recently had a weird experience with coolant. I just installed my freshly built 496", freshly cleaned/rodded oem radiator and used Peak brand pre-mixed 50/50 coolant. I put in the 6-7 gals it takes to fill the system and drive it about 100 miles within a couple weekends. Then I had to drain the coolant out to repair a radiator leak that I inflicted with the shroud installation. Upon draining the coolant, it was all brown and chitty looking...I pulled the drain plugs out of the block out of curiousity and on one side the water wouldn't even drain out until I ran a screwdriver into the hole to break up the blockage..

I don't know what the hell happend but this motor was completely clean inside as was the radiator at the time of the coolant install. The pump/hoses/heater core etc was all brand new. I drained it all out and switched to Prestone pre-mixed 50/50 and it seems like it is staying clean. Only have about 50 miles on it though. I have no idea what happened but needless to say I won't be using Peak antifreeze or pre mix ever again.

You obviously did not hot tank the block before the build or had a substitute clean that was ineffective. A couple weekends between the build and finding the problem was not long enough to create that much crud
Old 12-24-2009, 08:21 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by turtlevette
I use Sierra antifreeze from NAPA because i'm worried about my pets gettng into it. These POS C3s are always puking antifreeze and i don't want to pollute.

I've never heard that using pure antifreeze will raise the freezing point. I'm sorry but i think that is BS.

Pure antifreeze will not tranfer heat very well at all. I used pure antifreeze once and the car overheated right away. That's the real reason to mix water in.
I lived in Alaska for more than 1/2 my life and worked on the North Slope oil field for 18 years. 100% antifreeze does freeze and the best mix for freeze protection is 60% antifreeze and 40% water.

Last edited by '75; 12-24-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:07 AM
turbojet
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There was a thread on this a few years back after I read it I went with
ZEREX Original green you can pick it up at any NAPA parts store.
What do you use to flush the system.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:42 PM
LNZ
Intermediate

I replaced my Dexcool with "Peak Global Lifetime" in my C5 -01
It works in both aluminium and cast engines.

http://www.peakantifreeze.com/

Quick Reply: What Antifreeze???