C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 corvette ignition sheilding

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:45 PM
cimivette76
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 corvette ignition sheilding

i need some help with how the sheilding goes on. my car did not have it on the engine when i bought the car. and no instructions came with the kit. does any one have a good set of pictures or instructions how to install them it would be great thank you
Old 12-13-2009, 06:23 AM
wnmech
Drifting

I have the same issue with my 77. The AIM dont show the install very well
Old 12-13-2009, 01:40 PM
cimivette76
Heel & Toe

yeah i noticed. well let me know if you find something out. im not even sure how the plug wires run either. my buildbook has a very poor picture of it. any help would be appreiated
Old 12-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by cimivette76
i need some help with how the sheilding goes on. my car did not have it on the engine when i bought the car. and no instructions came with the kit. does any one have a good set of pictures or instructions how to install them it would be great thank you
Does the 76' have the chrome shields (over the dizzy and down the wires) like the earilier models? If so, I have pictures of my 71' shields I can post.

Gary

Here's the 71'

Last edited by Duke94; 12-13-2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old 12-13-2009, 08:36 PM
cimivette76
Heel & Toe

thanks for the pictures. it goes just like that i think. the lower shields attach to the motor mounts it looks like. how do the outter sheilds attach?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by cimivette76
thanks for the pictures. it goes just like that i think. the lower shields attach to the motor mounts it looks like. how do the outter sheilds attach?
The outer shields attach with two small brackets that are held on with the exhaust manifold bolts. I can add another picture if you can't see them in the 2 I posted.

Gary
Old 12-14-2009, 01:43 AM
snoopykissedlucy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Heres my 1976 original shielding.
Sorry, these pics aren't as the previous flashy ones...but I'm willing to bet they are all originally installed pieces.

I have since removed all the shields and willing to part with them if you want the original patina on them...something you dont get with new ones.

More 1976 pics:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3376635

Old 12-14-2009, 09:41 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

If the engine is in the vehicle and all the shielding hardware is removed, the first thing to check is if the spark plug shielding brackets are still attached to the exhaust manifold bolts [or not]. They are just flat stock steel that is chrome flashed and mounted under the manifold bolts. If they are not in place you will need to install them under the 2nd and 3rd bolts [from the back] on each side. Don't fully tighten the bolts as you may have to move the brackets around to line stuff up. Then follow the steps listed:
1) Install distributor cap and spark plug wires to engine. Route wiring through the (2) rubber wire looms in brackets for the side shields. The wires to the cylinders 1,3,2, & 4 get run forward [inside the lower shields] and up through the motor mounts...then to the plugs. Note the little sheet metal clip that those wires mount in; that clip is mounted under one of the oil pan screws (on each side). 2) Install the (4) spark plug heat shields in their proper location. 3) Connect all the spark plug wires to the plugs. 4) Install the lower ["V" shaped] ignition shields. 5) Install the side shields from the distributor to the lower rear of the engine. 6) Install the rear spark plug ignition shields to the exhaust manifold brackets and to the rear side shields (at the bottom). 7) Tighten the rear exhaust manifold mounting bolts and torque them properly. 8) Breathe a big sigh of relief. 9) Go get bandaids for all the sheet metal cuts your fingers/hands sustained. 10) Drink beer , then polish the chrome and enjoy.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:28 AM
ruby76
Drifting

Location: Fairview Heights Illinois, near Saint Louis MO, STL C3 Shark
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The above pics are what my '76 has - the part over the distributer is slightly different than that on the '71 - but the part under the ram's horns exhaust is the same. - no pics
Old 12-14-2009, 10:22 PM
cimivette76
Heel & Toe

alright guys thanks for the help im going to give it a go. my engine is out of the car so it wont be too bad. to do. thanks for all the help.

Get notified of new replies

To 76 corvette ignition sheilding

Quick Reply: 76 corvette ignition sheilding