C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new project 1972 LS1

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 01:39 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My new project 1972 LS1

I scored a pretty good deal on a '72 rolling chassis w/ '99 LS1 that has an Incon twin turbo kit attached. I hope to make this a build thread although I won't be starting any real work on it for quite a while (too many other projects!)

Anyway I've been itching to post up the initial pics and see what you guys think. I'm hoping the Incon TT kit will fit in the C3 engine bay and clear the firewall etc. If not I'll do a mild N/A setup.

Here is the motor up on the stand and the 72 in the background, yellow. That's a 71 LS5 in the background getting a complete suspension/brake overhaul. I'll post more detailed pics of the car/motor later. The overall condition of the car is pretty poor. It was hit in the front pass. side and the entire front clip is damaged. Initial inspection looks like the firewall is still intact. The fenders are already peepling up around the bonding points. I'm surprised the clip stayed attached on the long ride home!

Old 10-27-2009, 01:46 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats pretty cool. The Incon kit was considered the ultimate turbo kit at one time.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:44 PM
retroLS1
Instructor

Very nice... Enjoy! We'll have our '72 LS1 driving under its own power in a matter of weeks it looks like.

That Incon kit is junk, you might as well ship it to me and I'll get rid of it for you
Old 10-27-2009, 04:01 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by retroLS1
Very nice... Enjoy! We'll have our '72 LS1 driving under its own power in a matter of weeks it looks like.

That Incon kit is junk, you might as well ship it to me and I'll get rid of it for you
Really, you would do that for me

Yeah I was pretty surprised it had a complete incon kit on it. The silicone hoses and intercoolers were damaged beyond repair but the remainder of the kit looks to be in pretty good shape. Those cold side pipes would have to be custom made for the swap anyway.

Forgot to mention, I also got a T56 trans with it, which I plan on swapping in as well. I can't wait to dig in
Old 10-28-2009, 02:03 AM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

I'm hoping the birdcage/windshield frame aren't rusted as bad as the inner door in the last pic.

Last edited by NassyVette; 10-28-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:16 AM
NAVY08
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

How much was the roller if you don't mind me asking? That's exactly what I'm looking for in a project. I'm looking to buy when I get back stateside in a few years.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 AM
retroLS1
Instructor

I imagine that turbo kit will be a very tight fit in there. It's tight enough as it is without one. One thing I can see getting in the way on the drivers side is the steering box... judging from the manifold/turbo pic I see there I think it would run right into it. Maybe custom route them down underneath by the front crossmember or go through the radiator support and use the ducts underneath the headlights for fresh air
Old 10-28-2009, 09:44 AM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by retroLS1
I imagine that turbo kit will be a very tight fit in there. It's tight enough as it is without one. One thing I can see getting in the way on the drivers side is the steering box... judging from the manifold/turbo pic I see there I think it would run right into it. Maybe custom route them down underneath by the front crossmember or go through the radiator support and use the ducts underneath the headlights for fresh air
I guess I'll have to ditch the steering box then... The reason I'm thinking I can make it fit is because the FBody headers are a direct swap on LS1 C3's. As far as routing of charge pipes etc I can make that fit if I'm creative. I really won't know until I get the motor adapters and test fit it. I'll probably do that soon before I get any further with the tear down of the car so I can plan accordingly.

NAVY08: Your PM box is full

Last edited by NassyVette; 10-28-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:37 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting project. Good luck with it and keep the posts and updates coming.

Lots of help on the forum if needed.

Joe..
Old 10-28-2009, 02:54 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 78Vette-SA
Interesting project. Good luck with it and keep the posts and updates coming.

Lots of help on the forum if needed.

Joe..
Thanks Joe, your car is one of the several I have followed along the way that really got me interested in the LS swap. Actually 70LS1 got me motivated to do it years ago, I just wasn't in a position to make it happen. Your car is a work art, and your craftsmanship and attention to detail is excellent. If this car turns out half as good as yours I'll be a happy man. If the frame is a wash I may end up with an SRIII as well, although the added cost will really drag out the build. I'm really hoping that the frame can be straightened and cleaned up.

-Adam
Old 10-31-2009, 05:45 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Default Update

I had a chance Friday to pop open the stuck drivers door and start peeling off what was left of the front end. The original color was Steel Cities Gray, not red which is what I saw under the yellow. I really like steel cities gray so I'll probably restore the exterior just as it was from the factory.

The bad news is the entire front end is damaged beyond repair. Inner fenders on both sides were strung together with fiberglass weave and bondo, as well as most of the surround and both firewall bonding points. In addition there were tons of drywall screws hidden under the gallon of bondo. The a-arms look questionable as well as the frame. I've started calling local frame shops to get an idea of what it will cost to have it straightened and if they prefer to do it with the body off or on? I've heard conflicting stories on this. Anyone have experience with straightening a C3 frame?

Also, the firewall is cracked in several spots.

Good news is the lower windshield/birdcage look promising. There really wasn't any major rust present. The rest of the frame looks very solid as well. I'll get pictures of the underside after I get it up on the lift. For the most part the car is very complete in regards to trim etc so that's good. I also spotted MUSKEGON BRAKE stamped on the diff and the calipers appear to be fairly new.

All in all I'm pretty relieved about the birdcage condition but I'm starting to question my sanity starting this project

I also ran the vin and as expected it was originally a base 350 coupe with auto trans.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:20 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I wager everyone here has questioned their sanity at one time or another.

IIRC, BVECTRA has (or had) a front clip for sale. Shoot him a PM. I'm not sure what year it is.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:20 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TimAT
I wager everyone here has questioned their sanity at one time or another.

IIRC, BVECTRA has (or had) a front clip for sale. Shoot him a PM. I'm not sure what year it is.
Thanks, I checked it out but its for a 75+ front.

I spoke with the frame shop yesterday. I plan on getting the rest of the front stipped down then taking it in to be checked/straightened. After that I'll start stripping to firewall to get a better idea of just how bad it has been cracked.

The bubba bondo/glass work that was done after the crash is just making things more difficult for me. I wish the last guy would have just left it alone
Old 11-05-2009, 04:38 PM
1Sweet66
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Holy Cow!!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sweet, another 72 code 988 brother! Best of luck, keep the pics coming
Old 11-06-2009, 12:36 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sully1882
sweet, another 72 code 988 brother! Best of luck, keep the pics coming
Thanks The drivers door was stuck upon purchase and the seller had no idea what the paint code was. I saw a ton of red under the yellow so the 988 tag was a real nice surprise when I finally got the door popped open. I hope the car looks as good as hammadown's when it's finally done;

Old 11-16-2009, 11:52 PM
SUPERPOWERS
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a bunch of 72 front clip parts. I also have a near complete rear 69 clip. I just threw a 69 firewall away! bummer. You are not far from me. Come and get these parts out of my back yard!

Get notified of new replies

To My new project 1972 LS1

Old 11-17-2009, 10:15 AM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SUPERPOWERS
I have a bunch of 72 front clip parts. I also have a near complete rear 69 clip. I just threw a 69 firewall away! bummer. You are not far from me. Come and get these parts out of my back yard!
DOH! I'll give you a call and get the inventory list

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2009, 01:27 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by NassyVette
Thanks The drivers door was stuck upon purchase and the seller had no idea what the paint code was. I saw a ton of red under the yellow so the 988 tag was a real nice surprise when I finally got the door popped open. I hope the car looks as good as hammadown's when it's finally done;

Is that the gray your car originally was? That's a great color.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:45 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wcsinx
Is that the gray your car originally was? That's a great color.
Yup! That is forum member "hammadown"'s car. I was very happy to learn that it was originally SCG

Quick Reply: My new project 1972 LS1