C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM truck serpentine belt system

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 11:43 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Default GM truck serpentine belt system

Hey, all,
I read about retro fitting the serpentine belt system from late '80s and early '90s GM trucks to earlier gen 1 engines in Car Craft last month. It seems like something I would be interested in doing on my 1980 Corvette, but from some of the pictures, it looks like the alternator and air conditioning compressor will be a little to high for hood clearance. Has anybody else out there tried this with any success?

Scott
Old 10-10-2009, 11:47 AM
curtis75
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you are correct. It is too high. however you can get a serp setup of a 3rd gen camaro which will fit. I have it on my car and it seems to work great.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:15 PM
falconview
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have any pictures of your camaro swap to your vette?
Old 10-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Greg73convertible
Advanced

I just put this up for sale

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pts/1415416772.html

round part next to ac hit throttle body ( of tpi )

was told it was 80s camaro .

Last edited by Greg73convertible; 10-10-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:44 PM
wnmech
Drifting

Here is an old pic of my serpentine set up from an 89 F body camaro. Direct bolt on no hood clearance problems.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Artsvette73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From another fourm

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=128084
Old 10-10-2009, 07:30 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Here is a PM I got from a member in the past on this subject.

Dean

Durango_Boy
CF Senior Member

My Corvette Photos
Re: Serpentine set up and hydroboost

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktbird
Matt, today a guy gave me some parts off a 92 3500 Chev truck with 350. I got all the serpentine system, alternator, ps pump, water pump and all the pulleys. Question is, Will this system mount the alternator too high for hood clearance. I also got the hydra-boost unit from the same truck, is it the right one to use on the vette?

The serpentine system will fit under most stock hoods just fine. I used an F-body setup and have helped a lot of other guys with even the truck brackets. I think the worst fit is under early small block hoods...but you should be okay.

Matt
Old 11-05-2009, 09:10 AM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Hey, all,
I read about retro fitting the serpentine belt system from late '80s and early '90s GM trucks to earlier gen 1 engines in Car Craft last month. It seems like something I would be interested in doing on my 1980 Corvette, but from some of the pictures, it looks like the alternator and air conditioning compressor will be a little to high for hood clearance. Has anybody else out there tried this with any success?

Scott
I have a 90's truck system on my '81. I just have been able to test fit it, and have no clearance issues. I am currently running an idler in place of the A/C compressor, but the pulley is the same diameter, and it looks like it will clear. The closest point to the hood is the top of the tensioner, and when I put the hood back on to see what kind of clearance was there, there was a good inch and a half, based on crawling under the car and sticking my hand up there to feel.

Here's a pic with half of it bolted up. I was fooling around with the fuel pump (something to consider, stock line to the carb will not work, I'm going with braided steel covered hose) I'll get more pics up as soon as I get the fitting that I need.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:31 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

nate99, I'm interested to see if the original power steering hoses will work.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:37 PM
wnmech
Drifting

I did use the F body power steering pump. I had to modify the pressure line to work but the return line is no problem. You cant se the lines very well but here is anold pic of my pump.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:42 PM
mydejavooo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So on the same subject....will a 91 GTA setup fit on a 72 motor? I like the idea of a serpentine setup, and buying a used setup with EVERYTHING included seems like a better way to go than something from Jegs or Summit.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:13 AM
mydejavooo
Burning Brakes

Say a little setup like THIS...!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL1JIM5APBk

But I guess that doesn't really qualify as a serpentine setup.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:46 AM
jordan89
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wnmech
Here is an old pic of my serpentine set up from an 89 F body camaro. Direct bolt on no hood clearance problems.
What do you do about the water pump? Do you have to switch over to the F-body water pump, or can you just switch the pulley?
Old 11-06-2009, 01:14 AM
mydejavooo
Burning Brakes

And are there "year" limitations on the blocks that these newer setups can be used on? What I mean by that, is, is there are cutoff on the blocks that would make them not work...ie...too old to mount up??
Old 11-06-2009, 08:42 AM
wnmech
Drifting

Jordan
I used the water pump style from the Camaro. It is called a reverse flow pump because the serpentine belt turns the pump in the opposite direction from the standard pump.
mydejavoo
I dont know if there are any limitations on the blocks. I do know that on the passengers side head there should be 3 holes for the bracket to bolt to. When I purchased my set up I did have my heads off and I had the head tapped for just pocket change. When I done my modification I has posted on it and I was told that the third bolt [actually a stud] was not needed but since my engine was apart I had it tapped anyway.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:50 AM
nate99
Race Director

Originally Posted by '75
nate99, I'm interested to see if the original power steering hoses will work.
Now I am too.

Honestly, I did not try to hook them up yet as I was planning to replace them and I haven't bought the parts yet. I'm not sure what the pressure hose from a later model vehicle would look like on the end going in to the control valve.

By eyeballing it, it looked like there wouldn't be an issue, but after wnmech's post, I'm wondering why the modification was necessary.

Hopefully he'll post again and let us know what he did to modify it and why he had to.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:27 PM
wnmech
Drifting

When I bought my 77 it had no engine or attaching hardware that is why I went with the ease of the serpentine system. I found that the pressure line that came from the pump was a different thread and angle from my hoses. The most I can tell you is if your existing hoses will attach to the pump you should be fine. I was able to get the proper adapting fittings and carried everything to a place that manufacturers hoses and they swedged everyting together and all is good

Get notified of new replies

To GM truck serpentine belt system

Old 11-06-2009, 01:01 PM
nate99
Race Director

When I bought my 77 it had no engine or attaching hardware that is why I went with the ease of the serpentine system. I found that the pressure line that came from the pump was a different thread and angle from my hoses. The most I can tell you is if your existing hoses will attach to the pump you should be fine. I was able to get the proper adapting fittings and carried everything to a place that manufacturers hoses and they swedged everyting together and all is good

Just in case I need it, do you remember where you got the adapter fitting?
Old 11-06-2009, 01:30 PM
mydejavooo
Burning Brakes

Any hydraulic shop can make custom hoses with the correct fittings as well. Just thought I'd mention that.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:12 PM
wnmech
Drifting

Originally Posted by mydejavooo
Any hydraulic shop can make custom hoses with the correct fittings as well. Just thought I'd mention that.

That is the kind of place that did mine. Dont cost very much either.

Quick Reply: GM truck serpentine belt system