C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear blue streak sportscar/scca specials

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:07 AM
one-72
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Goodyear blue streak sportscar/scca specials

Looking for period correct tires to go on my superlite-gtr,s.
Has anyone checked out these tires.
Look on goodyears vintage racing page G-7,s
Old 10-01-2009, 12:35 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,063 Posts

I work for a historic racing shop. We are required to use treaded racing tires for pre 67 race cars. They run either Goodyear or Avon
Old 10-02-2009, 11:51 AM
OregonVette80
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used them on my Vette for 2 events. Night & day. These things are like bear claws when warm. If you're doing a short Auto-X, the first few seconds they will be slick. But... Once warm, these things are STICKY! You'll have chunks of rubber all over the place.

not quite sure what size rim you're planning on putting them on. But, a 1972 (your avatar/name) they might stick out quite a bit. They barely fit under my 1980 without mods. My rims are 15x9. Just a heads-up.

Gkull recommended I use John Berget tires. I have used them & am plesantly surprised at speed & service.

Last edited by OregonVette80; 10-02-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:51 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OregonVette80
They barely fit under my 1980 without mods. My rims are 15x9. Just a heads-up.

Gkull recommended I use John Berget tires. I have used them & am plesantly surprised at speed & service.

what size rears do you use? I have 4 sets of 10X27X15 hoosiers from JB racing. I'm done racing my Vette. I'm selling and or should say have sold nearly everything not being used to clear out my garage. i'm keeping my 12X27 rears and wheels in case I go drag racing.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:11 PM
OregonVette80
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gkull
I'm done racing my Vette. I'm selling and or should say have sold nearly everything not being used to clear out my garage..

wow.

what happened?
Old 10-02-2009, 10:02 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

gkull,
any comment on using the goodyear's on the street? I know they are not DOT rated and the Avon's are, but I wondered if that might just be because they didn't go through DOT testing..
i see mixed opinions online about using them on the street.. many say no issues - that they've done it for years and others say the sidewalls are too thin because the tire is constructed lighter..

i like the letterwall look, but may have to settle for Avon's (CR6ZZ)..
Old 10-03-2009, 01:43 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mikey
gkull,
any comment on using the goodyear's on the street? I know they are not DOT rated and the Avon's are, but I wondered if that might just be because they didn't go through DOT testing..
i see mixed opinions online about using them on the street.. many say no issues - that they've done it for years and others say the sidewalls are too thin because the tire is constructed lighter..

Very simple answer - Racing tires are only sticky at tire temps of over 170 degrees and even better as they near 190+ Below that they are like grease. Any water or cold pavement and they are down right dangerous.

Todays Kumho MX and other street Ultra performance tires are better than racing slicks of just 10-15 years ago
Old 10-03-2009, 09:31 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OregonVette80
wow.

what happened?
F2 open wheel racing. I had considered even buying a CSR or DSR. F2 is a real race car that can do nearly 3 "G" turns. Sub 4 pounds per hp. My old vette is returning to the street.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:37 AM
OregonVette80
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mikey
gkull,

no no no no. don't use these on the streets. They are not safe. They are very dangerous on the street. They are DOT approved but NOT for street use. Track use only! Plus, they are Not fun to drive on the street because the car will pull, dart, wander all over hell. They do NOT work for street use. Believe me. Buy them for the track. That's what they are made for. In short, no. These are NOT street tires.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:25 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Go over to one of the Cobra kit car forums (http://www.ffcobra.com/)and ask over there, as the G-7/G-19's are very popular over there.

I personally love the look of them and I think that if you where using them as weekend show/occasional motorsport event car, then I would go for it. For a daily driver their soft compound and questionalble wet weather grip would put me off.

Nick
Old 10-05-2009, 01:36 AM
elle88
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Avon cr6zz 245/60/15 on my 69 427 L88 motor. Love them. they stick enough also cold,when they get warm...
you don't get much debris in normal use. they should last many miles on the street and don't suffer of heat cycles like other racing tires. I think these Avon's should be the standard tire on any powerful vette on stock rims.expensive

here is my old post about
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...von-cr6zz.html

Last edited by elle88; 10-05-2009 at 01:40 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Goodyear blue streak sportscar/scca specials

Quick Reply: Goodyear blue streak sportscar/scca specials