C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel center cap on my 74 has faded and has a few chips

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 09:15 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Steering wheel center cap on my 74 has faded and has a few chips

What is the best way to restore the center cap? What is the best paint?

Thanks for the help-
Old 02-27-2017, 07:41 AM
Grahamred70
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've just done mine on my 70 so I'm guessing yours is similar.
It all started when I was investigating an unreliable horn and when I popped the button off to get to the contacts noticed it had been badly repaired previously which left it off centre, also the plastic centre with the flags on was cracked so thought I'd try to improve it, with a bit of careful prising I managed to separate the alloy ring, the plastic centre and the outer ring, if yours hasn't been disturbed a bit of careful drilling of the riveted studs on the back will get it apart.
Next step was to find a cap with a sound centre, I found one quite cheap on e bay as it was a standard one (not tilt/tele) and the red flag was faded, this was then dismantled to give up the button, a cotton bud dipped in cellulose thinners quickly removed the silver backing paint and the faded red paint from the flag, a couple of coats of red spray paint I had in stock and the flag was red again, a couple of marks in the black areas were treated in the same way.
Next the outer ring was stripped with paint stripper etch primed and sprayed satin black don't be too heavy handed with the black or you'll loose the texture.
When everything had dried I put it all back together with a few spots of epoxy adhesive and it was good as new again, while I had the upper contacts out I stripped and repainted the tilt/tele locking ring as well so all looking very smart now!
Graham
Old 02-27-2017, 08:05 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Thanks for the Detailed explanation Graham-

I think I can follow your detailed explanation, (carefully)

Get notified of new replies

To Steering wheel center cap on my 74 has faded and has a few chips

Quick Reply: Steering wheel center cap on my 74 has faded and has a few chips