C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking car to have top replaced. What should I order from Al Knock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:59 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Taking car to have top replaced. What should I order from Al Knock?

Now that the motor issues appear to be solved I need to move on to other things. The next big project is replacing and adjusting the vert top. I have talked to several people and most say this should be left to someone that knows what they are doing. i figure I will purchase the top from Al Knock and then take it and the car to someone.
- What should I purchase along with the top?
- What should I expect to pay just for install and adjustment?
- Can I adjust it myself first before having it installed?
- What is the process for adjusting the top?
- Anyone in the SW Charlotte, Gastonia, Clover Sc, Rock Hill SC area that you would recommend??

Thanks
Wade
Old 09-20-2009, 11:02 AM
jeff79'
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by BlackRat
Now that the motor issues appear to be solved I need to move on to other things. The next big project is replacing and adjusting the vert top. I have talked to several people and most say this should be left to someone that knows what they are doing. i figure I will purchase the top from Al Knock and then take it and the car to someone.
- What should I purchase along with the top?
- What should I expect to pay just for install and adjustment?
- Can I adjust it myself first before having it installed?
- What is the process for adjusting the top?
- Anyone in the SW Charlotte, Gastonia, Clover Sc, Rock Hill SC area that you would recommend??

Thanks
Wade
Grandmaster Corvette is somewhere around Charlotte....PM him....He is a body man that would appear to know all....Seriously.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:18 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks jeff79' for the recommendation.....I appreciate it!

Yes get it from Al Knoch. I have installed many from him and they fit great as long as the frame is set correctly and the pivot points are in very good condition....which would be a waste of time and money. The frame fitting correctly so your weatherstrips seal properly is important to me... because after the top is installed it is really hard to correct without removing the top and then trying to get it re-fit. IT'S ALL IN THE ANGLES OF THE DANGLES. I can get any rivets and have the correct tools to properly stake them like the factory ....if needed.

You will want to make sure the pads and straps are in the kit....if not...get new ones.

Yes...you can adjust it yourself but it can be very time consuming and a pain. But you save the $$$$ by doing it yourself.

Telling you how to adjust the top...without having it in front of me is hard to do. The car and the frame will "tell" you when you have it right. You will want to install some new weatherstrips...if needed so you can get your windows to seal properly. Sometimes you will need to adjust your windows to get it all to come together like is was designed. But even if things are all correct...the weatherstrips may still leak a bit...the point is to keep these leaks to the mininum.

Just to let you know that on a 64 I spent about four days tweaking/adjusting the rebuilt frame so the windows shut and sealed AWESOMELY! Now granted I was not working on it all that time...I did have to walk away from time to time to clear my head....but it was time consuming to get everything right so paint would not get damaged and the windows sealed like I wanted them.

I am here if you need my help or to install...it is up to you.

"DUB"
Old 09-20-2009, 06:49 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Thanks Jeff!!
Old 09-20-2009, 07:47 PM
jeff79'
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Thanks Jeff!!
Post a before and after pic.....
Old 09-20-2009, 08:03 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jeff79'
Post a before and after pic.....
Will do! Ordering top this week. Will takepics of the one on there now for the scrap book..
Old 02-03-2010, 12:07 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Dub clean out your PM inbox!

What is your schedule looking lke for doing the top and weatherstripping on my 71 vert? I am ordering the kit from Al Knock this weekend.

Thanks
Wade
Old 02-03-2010, 01:33 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Dub clean out your PM inbox!

What is your schedule looking lke for doing the top and weatherstripping on my 71 vert? I am ordering the kit from Al Knock this weekend.

Thanks
Wade
Don't be surprised if the Al Knoch top is too short. I have bought and installed many of his tops in past years and they were beautiful tops and fit very good, but in the last few years I have bought several that were cut too short and he won't stand behind them. He refuses to admit that there could be anything wrong with his tops. Seems that he has a worker that does not do the same quality of work as his other workers and he won't correct the problem. Al just hung up on me the last time I called with a complaint.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:43 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bj1k
Don't be surprised if the Al Knoch top is too short. I have bought and installed many of his tops in past years and they were beautiful tops and fit very good, but in the last few years I have bought several that were cut too short and he won't stand behind them. He refuses to admit that there could be anything wrong with his tops. Seems that he has a worker that does not do the same quality of work as his other workers and he won't correct the problem. Al just hung up on me the last time I called with a complaint.
WOW!!! Any other supplier suggestions?
Old 02-03-2010, 02:52 PM
bluegoosed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my weatherstrip kit and top from Wilcox. The top was a Knock top and it fit fine. got the weatherstips about two years ago. Good people no complaints.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Ghunt
Instructor

Hi Dub
I too would like some pointers on adjusting the top frame.
Should we adjust the frame before replacing the top?
I got my top from ecklers along with their (Knock) Cd. I do hope that mine fits, looks like it will. Planning on installing it my self, thats part of the hobby, right?
Old 02-04-2010, 02:48 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

WOW!!! Any other supplier suggestions?
Robbins Convertible Tops They are a top quality company that specializes in convertible tops for all cars. They have been around forever.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Hadez
Drifting

Don't be surprised if your header bar needs replacing...this is about $350. Depending on who is doing the top and how far you want to go restoring it you might want to strip it down & out yourself and take it to have all the bars powdercoated and then you will see the new parts you need like various fasteners and new tacking strips, etc.

Also you might want to consider the stayfast (cloth) version. I had that on my red vette and loved it. I really dressed up the car nicely and was very easy to take care of.

If you go with Robbins Tops in California you can have them put in a different shade/color rear window. On my old red vette we had them use a slightly smoked tint rear window versus totally clear. You don't notice it unless you put it side-by-side and I needed all the help I could get to keep the sun out of the vette here in Florida.

Get notified of new replies

To Taking car to have top replaced. What should I order from Al Knock?

Quick Reply: Taking car to have top replaced. What should I order from Al Knock?