C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Assembly Diagram for 1974-77 Seat Belt Retractor

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Kiwigreg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Assembly Diagram for 1974-77 Seat Belt Retractor

Does anyone have one of these, or point me in the right direction.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi K,
Do you mean a diagram for how it mounts in the car or for the mechanism itself?
The first would be in the AIM, and the second I've never seen.
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I would not try to rebuild them owing to safety issues. Just buy new ones.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Kiwigreg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi K,
Do you mean a diagram for how it mounts in the car or for the mechanism itself?
The first would be in the AIM, and the second I've never seen.
Regards,
Alan
Unfortunately the latter. Thanks for replying.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:56 PM
RobbSalzmann
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by paul 74
I would not try to rebuild them owing to safety issues. Just buy new ones.
Agreed.

Don't make the mistake I did and send good money (over $100)for one here on for sale forum without asking first if they are junk. I was refused a refund because "I didn't ask" after opening the shipping box and finding they were seized solid. be careful, or buy new.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 PM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1975 Seat Belt Retractor

Was doing some work on my son's 75 vette this past weekend and went to push the carpet in place on the divers side floor panel in preparation to reinstall the drivers seat. When I pushed down on the carpet, I heard a strange noise. Upon further inspection, I found that the noise I heard was that the spring had come lose on the retractor. Can anyone tell me how to re-install the spring (any pics would be nice as well showing how it looks installed). Also, is the spring supposed to be covered by something? There was no cap, but I can't imaging that the spring is exposed when it is installed on the retractor.

These seat belts are only about 2 years old. We sent the originals to seat belt solutions and had them refurbished with the original oem type webbing and the GM buckles. I hate to take the time to send it back to them for another repair if it is something I can fix myself. I don't want the car to be out of commission and I know when we sent the seat belts to seat belt solutions a couple years ago, it took them quite a while to turn them around. Any help with directions/pics and advice would sure be appreciated. Please advise and thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:21 PM
pve1962@yahoo.com
1st Gear

Default seat belt spring

Originally Posted by LSH77VETTE
Was doing some work on my son's 75 vette this past weekend and went to push the carpet in place on the divers side floor panel in preparation to reinstall the drivers seat. When I pushed down on the carpet, I heard a strange noise. Upon further inspection, I found that the noise I heard was that the spring had come lose on the retractor. Can anyone tell me how to re-install the spring (any pics would be nice as well showing how it looks installed). Also, is the spring supposed to be covered by something? There was no cap, but I can't imaging that the spring is exposed when it is installed on the retractor.

These seat belts are only about 2 years old. We sent the originals to seat belt solutions and had them refurbished with the original oem type webbing and the GM buckles. I hate to take the time to send it back to them for another repair if it is something I can fix myself. I don't want the car to be out of commission and I know when we sent the seat belts to seat belt solutions a couple years ago, it took them quite a while to turn them around. Any help with directions/pics and advice would sure be appreciated. Please advise and thanks in advance.
there is a cover that says caution do not remove spring rests in this cover find it and it has three pegs that match holes on retractor u have to wind spring 16 times then push in pegs hope this helps
Old 03-26-2014, 08:02 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by pve1962@yahoo.com
there is a cover that says caution do not remove spring rests in this cover find it and it has three pegs that match holes on retractor u have to wind spring 16 times then push in pegs hope this helps
^^what he (or she said)
I had to repair both mine this way and will ultimately be replacing at least one of them from rust damage.... Once I pulled the mechanism apart it was fairly straightforward how it works and went back together.

Get notified of new replies

To Assembly Diagram for 1974-77 Seat Belt Retractor

Quick Reply: Assembly Diagram for 1974-77 Seat Belt Retractor