C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire and Heat Damage

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 10:57 PM
ludovino1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire and Heat Damage

So… a few months ago, I finally bought my first corvette (82). After a lot of work done, the icing on the cake was that my transmission went out and I had to have it rebuilt. To make a long story short, after five days I called the shop to ask about the car. The manager told me that my transmission was done but….. they had a small electrical problem at the shop which caused the shop to get on fire. And… my car was inside.

The car did not sustain damage from direct fire, only heat and smoke damage. The heat was intense and caused: both front and rear bumpers to wave a lot on the upper side. The vents on the side panels did melt some, with the corners twisting outside. The windshield cracked and bubbled, the weather stripping of the t-tops melted some on the outside. The paint on the car bubbled all over. The fiber glass seems to be intact with neither melted nor deformities. I will take some pictures on Monday and try to post it. The interior smells like smoke, and I had some shades on the mirrored t-tops which also melted. The car runs and drives, and now I have a dilemma whether or not keep the car.

Question. Would it be too risky to keep the car and use the insurance money to fix all problems (restore)? Or would it be better to total the car and try to buy another one?
My concerns are the potential damages caused to the harness, wires, parts that cannot be seen and every other problem caused by the excessive heat that may appear after the car has been fixed.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:14 PM
rajsid
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be hard to determine the damage accurately. Even if you did it, it will most probably exceed what you paid for the car. Total it and look for another one.

I know it's a hard decision, but it makes sense cost wise.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:15 PM
rajsid
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

. . .
Old 09-13-2009, 11:14 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Without pics its hard to say. A couple things to keep in mimd though. Sounds like most of the dammage is due to radiant heat, like standing to close to the fireplace. Thats what bubbled the paint and melted the exposed rubber parts. Your wireing and all the internals that were behing something should have suffered no dammage at all.
See what the insurance will cover, I would think thats its fixable.

Get notified of new replies

To Fire and Heat Damage

Quick Reply: Fire and Heat Damage