C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone changed there C3 from automatic to manual?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:06 PM
MTC_75vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone changed there C3 from automatic to manual?

I currently have a automatic transmission c3 that I want to convert to manual. I found a company keisler that makes some kits but doesn't list prices...I was wondering if anyone out there knows how much it would cost and what company to use?
Old 09-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Jeffski
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTC_75vette
I currently have a automatic transmission c3 that I want to convert to manual. I found a company keisler that makes some kits but doesn't list prices...I was wondering if anyone out there knows how much it would cost and what company to use?
If you do a search you should find some info/there are a few of us who have swapped for five speeds not using one of the popular kits. You can do it without the kit but you have to spend the time to gather all the parts and have to modify some stuff to make it work. I converted my automatic car to a T5 five speed. You need to find a tranny / pedal set set for a manual car / clutch / belhousing / shifter / clutch linkage / modify the drive shaft / modify the tranny cross member / cut a hole in the transmission tunnel and in my case because I used a Ford tranny I needed to make an adapter plate. All in I have about $ 2500 where the kits will run you about $ 4000. You can do it / it is cheaper but it is more work to source everything.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:59 PM
jzsilver79
Intermediate

I just did the swap through a company but will not name until it is complete. I did the Tremec swap and can tell you it is worth it. Per the post above you can do it for less but there is time sourcing parts. No matter what gearbox you select you need: clutch, pedals, bell housing, z-bar parts and among others. The kits help but the big thing is service. So far I have had excellent service from my company and sales person, just waiting to put in a new gearbox and finalize the install. You can PM me for more details, but it can be done a little cheaper than some of the bigger comapines.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:03 AM
Crunch-o-Matic
Racer

I did the Kiesler TKO600 swap in my 73 vert. Love the trans and how it redefines driving the car. Get the complete kit and it all bolts in. Take your time. It will take a few days to a week to get it all done. Best upgrade I ever made.

Binnie77 has a documented install on his 77...it is comprehensive and thorough, recommend you read.

Cheers,

Crunch

Last edited by Crunch-o-Matic; 09-13-2009 at 02:33 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I have done a couple of these auto to 5 speed swaps. Yes you can source out the parts but you get used parts and sometimes they are not any good. In the long run you will be ahead in time and maybe money going with the kits. The kits have everything. They are not cheap but they are well worth it in the long run. Keisler now has a less expensive T45 trans if your motor is not making huge power that can be had cheaper than the TKO kits. The T5 trans is OK but there again you are getting a used box and you do not know what has been done to it. Some here have had great luck with that but you are taking a chance. Hmm I sound like a salesman for new kits. The decision is yours. Do your homework on this. Whatever you do you will really like the overdrive for your car. It makes it a pleasure to drive on the highway.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:48 PM
MTC_75vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gordonm
I have done a couple of these auto to 5 speed swaps. Yes you can source out the parts but you get used parts and sometimes they are not any good. In the long run you will be ahead in time and maybe money going with the kits. The kits have everything. They are not cheap but they are well worth it in the long run. Keisler now has a less expensive T45 trans if your motor is not making huge power that can be had cheaper than the TKO kits. The T5 trans is OK but there again you are getting a used box and you do not know what has been done to it. Some here have had great luck with that but you are taking a chance. Hmm I sound like a salesman for new kits. The decision is yours. Do your homework on this. Whatever you do you will really like the overdrive for your car. It makes it a pleasure to drive on the highway.
Yea I am probably going to get a new kit and make things easier for me. My current set up is around 410 hp off the motor and I plan on running a 100 shot for the track so I would prob need the TKO600 right? Or do you think the TKO500 would handle the power?
Old 09-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Yea I am probably going to get a new kit and make things easier for me. My current set up is around 410 hp off the motor and I plan on running a 100 shot for the track so I would prob need the TKO600 right? Or do you think the TKO500 would handle the power?
Either one will handle it. The 500 they say is rated to 500 ft/lbs but I know some who have put 800+ ft/lbs through them. Either one will take a lot of HP. The gear ratios are different. The 600 has better ratios but the OD of .64 is a little much. The 500 which I have at .68 with 3.70 gears is about all I would want. Pick the trans tha tahs the best gear ratios for you. Either one you will be happy with.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:58 AM
prostreet c3
Heel & Toe

I just finished the stick from auto conversion in my '79.
I went with all the good stuff: M22 "rockcrusher" AutoGear Muncie,
Alum. flywheel, Centerforce Dual friction clutch, Lakewood Bellhousing, Hurst shifter. You can get all your clutch linkage, pedals etc. as a
kit from a couple different places, included is a bracket you'll have to
weld onto the frame for the "Z" bar. You also have to remove the steering column & Speed-o/Tach gauges. Have to cut the floor out at shifter location. I've basically just given you part of the overall job.
In my opinion, it's not a job for just just anyone to tackle & I got a
few more gray hairs by the time I got mime finished.....but there is
nothing like going thru the gears.....it was worth it all.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Crunch-o-Matic
Racer

For reference I have the TKO600 w/4:11 gears...lots of fun
Old 09-14-2009, 02:13 PM
OURSHARK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I changed mine from auto to 5spd. It is the best change I have done to my vette. I used the TKO500 with a hydraulic clutch, no welding necessary. It comes with everything you need for the conversion and everything is new. The hardest part of the project was installing the peddles, you will have to take out the steering column and the drivers seat to make it easier. The conversion transforms the car, much more fun to drive.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:07 PM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keisler is a forum sponsor. Look in the links to the left of the Threads here in the forum. You will find the Keisler link, and you can request a quote from their web site. Keisler Tech and Sales staff participate in the forum and respond to questions and issues with their products. A number of people on the forum have installed Keisler kits. Search the archives for threads on Keisler installs. Some are very very detailed and well documented with pictures.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:09 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Welcome to a larger world. Converting from auto to manual was one of the best things I ever did for my C3. Went from a 400 TH to a Super T10, then to a Muncie, but hope one day for a Richmond OD 5-speed.

Do make sure and do your math so you don't end up too deeply geared in first (BTDT). Suggest no more than ~10:1 total FDR in low (1st gear ratio X rear ratio), unless pulling stumps is to your liking.

FWIW, CF'er vettesbydesign is a resource worth noting for anyone contemplating a swap.

Enjoy!

TSW
Old 09-15-2009, 10:58 AM
wild78
Heel & Toe

I converted my car to a Richmond 6 speed. This past winter I removed the lakewood bellhousing and went with a standard aftermarket aluminum bellhousing with the short pivot stud, and a centerforce clutch/pressure plate. My clutch fork was actually hitting my firewall with the clutch fully despressed with the lakewood bellhousing.

My tranmission cross member had to be modified original conversion. It is really a lot fun to drive with all the gears not to mention the performance.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:33 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
FWIW, CF'er vettesbydesign is a resource worth noting for anyone contemplating a swap.

Enjoy!

TSW
Kevin is a good guy and will save you some $$$ while supplying you everything you need to complete the swap.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:16 PM
rj8806
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No matter whose kit you go with, the main thing to remember is you will now have a 5 speed and the factor.

As everyone noted, the hardest part of the swap is installing the pedals as the dash should come out to make it a little easier. Binnie77 did a GREAT write up and documented the entire swap and has great pictures to go with it. The link is http://corvettec3.ca/tko.htm .

Being an automatic car right now, the install will be so much easier as your cross member is a bolt in piece whereas the 4 speed cars have a welded in X-member.

I am not in sales but off the top of my head, our kits will run in the low $3000 range but because you are automatic you also need a bell housing ($200), flywheel ($269), clutch ($269 and up), pedals and linkage ($459) + shipping. Obviously, if you already have some of these items (or can source some good used parts) you can save some money.

The wear and tear on the motor as well as the increase in gas mileage is great but nothing compares to the sheer fun of rowing thru gears.

Richard
Tech Support

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone changed there C3 from automatic to manual?

Quick Reply: Has anyone changed there C3 from automatic to manual?