C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the best car cover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:12 PM
wadey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default the best car cover?

guys- I am in the market for a new car cover.I currently have one of the Max Tech covers from auto accessories of america.This cover is ok but when removed from the car it leaves a lot of dust behind.I would like a better quality cover, one that could hold up if the car was outside in the rain for instance.What do you vette owners think is the best?
Thanx wade
Old 08-31-2009, 10:46 PM
wadey
Instructor

ttt
Old 08-31-2009, 10:49 PM
Mad Vette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Wolfe. http://www.wolfautocovers.com/

Weather or not its the best I don't know but I think they have a pretty good product. Most of the covers you see being sold by other automotive accessories places are re-branded Wolfe's covers.

Last edited by Mad Vette; 08-31-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:01 PM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the wolf too, but I don't think mine is good in the rain. I think it's just a dust cover. Was a little under $150 if I recall.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:45 PM
wadey
Instructor

ttt
Old 09-01-2009, 04:43 AM
rpoL98
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I use a combination of 2 car covers, i.e. 2 layers. I use a "tan flannel" because that's really soft on the paint, but unfortunately it's got no rain or sun UV protection, it's meant for indoors storage. so on top of that I use the weathershield HD for water and sun protection.

For me, it used to be that the Sunbrella was the hot ticket for sun, rain, UV protection, but after trying out the weathershield HD for the last few years, I'm starting to convert, I think the water repellancy lasts longer with the WS HD. My only problem with the sunbrella was that after years of continous use day-in and day-out, the sewing seams, would start to show some scuff marks on my clear coat (mebbe after bout 5 years daily use) being used outdoors, normal breeze/wind movement, that's why I went with the tan flannel for the inner layer.

the good thing about the sunbrella was that the fabric didn't wear out, but the stitching would start to deteriorate after about 7 years or so. The water repellancy of the sunbrella goes about that time also, start to soak through at the low spots (repeated puddles).

I had a weathershield (normal duty, not HD), and after a few years, that fabric gave out, started tearing. might've been 5 years or so.

I regrettably have to park my daily driver outside in the sun every day of the year here in sunny Hawaii. the car covers protect against sun, salt spray, rain, and theft deterrent. My car is black/black, and under the hot direct high-noon tropical sun, it gets pretty toasty, enuff to melt plastic on the inside of the car.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Wuttin
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My car is a driveway beast...I have a Wolfe NOAH cover. It was amazing at first but now leaks like all the rest. In a heavy rain I may as well not have a cover at all. It protects well enough in a light rain and repels the morning dew, but otherwise leak city.

Weathershield looks interesting
Old 09-01-2009, 12:53 PM
KeyWestJack
Pro

Old 09-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Mad Vette
I have a Wolfe.
Same here; two of them. I like them.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:08 PM
alexmadison
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by wadey
guys- I am in the market for a new car cover.I currently have one of the Max Tech covers from auto accessories of america.This cover is ok but when removed from the car it leaves a lot of dust behind.I would like a better quality cover, one that could hold up if the car was outside in the rain for instance.What do you vette owners think is the best?
Thanx wade
There are many types of breathable fabrics available. The big difference in price between the cheap covers (and tarps) and the good covers is due to the breathable fabrics. Never ever cover a car with a non-breathable cover. Condensation build-up under the cover can do lots of damage.

I have the max cover from empire its a 3 layer cover made from Tyvek developed by DuPont.

http://empirecovers-review.blogspot.com
Old 03-29-2010, 07:00 PM
cc8074369
5th Gear

Old 03-29-2010, 07:35 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 361 Likes on 229 Posts

I use a weathershield HP on my C6 which endured the brutal northeast winter this year. I'm very impressed with the cover as it has kept the car dry and clean. I took the cover off last week for the first time since late November and the car is as clean as when I put it on.

My C3 is in the garage and has a canvas / flannel cover on it that I'm not too thrilled with as it leaves a lot of flannel dust on the car when I take it off.

Tom
Old 03-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

My wife bought me a Typhoon cover from Mid America for the '81 and it works great outdoors. Got some heavy rain for a few days and it worked perfectly. It is a heavy duty cover and feels it. I am curious how it will hold up under the summer sun here in San Diego. My car is beige in color so I can't really tell if it leaves a coating of something on it when removed. Hard to tell which end is which though, there is a tag with FRONT written on it but I don't know how long that'll last.

I had a Noah indoor only cover for my Z06 and that damn thing would always leave a small layer of something behind when being removed. It finally got a small tear that grew and has since been replaced with something else, the Noah was free because it came with the car. But the replacement is not a Noah.

Last edited by Goody; 03-30-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To the best car cover?

Quick Reply: the best car cover?