C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

on the subject of paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Drbluevert
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default on the subject of paint

Is there a simple way to tell what kind of paint is on your car?
One stage or two? This white on our 'vette looks good until you're right on top of it (or under street lighting) and then you see the infinite chris-cross scratches all over. I cannot figure what could make that much scratching that is not through the paint? Oh, and I am sure this is not the original paint.
I'm not afraid of color sanding or power compounding polishing, my Caddy had terrible looking paint but it's a lacquer paint. After wet-sanding and compounding it was perfect! I know that wet-sanding will look milky white while sanding clear coating and after that you are into the paint. Any Tips?
Old 08-31-2009, 06:26 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately it is hard to say when you are dealing with white. Any other color it is easy to identify...but white is a hit or miss when sanding on it and trying to identify if it has clear on it or not due to the residue is milky white when clear is sanded....like you mentioned My only advice is to be careful while buffing and such so you do not break through and have another issue other than scratches. I hate having to buff/polish over someone elses paint job...I never know wether they applied enough paint or if they were cheap and stopped when the color was consistant.
"DUB"
Old 08-31-2009, 07:50 PM
fergy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those scratches that you are refurring to is called crows feet or laquer checking. There is no way to really fix that by buffing. It is where the paint has shrunk over time creating the cracked look. A new paint job is in order.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:59 PM
fergy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those scratches that you are refurring to is called crows feet or laquer checking. There is no way to really fix that by buffing. It is where the paint has shrunk over time creating the cracked look. A new paint job is in order.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:33 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a dark colored rag to wax an area of the car. If it comes out white it's a single-stage, if no color then a clear coat (two-stage).
Old 08-31-2009, 11:06 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

That'll work as long as there is alot of "cleaner" (really compound) in the wax.

Get notified of new replies

To on the subject of paint

Quick Reply: on the subject of paint