C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What all is needed for a TH400 to a 200-R4 tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Gardee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What all is needed for a TH400 to a 200-R4 tranny swap

I know this has been beaten to death, but I can't find all the info in one thread. What exactly is needed to swap out my TH400 for a 200-R4. Car is a 75 with GM Performance Parts 350/330. Not racing the thing just looking for some extra gear for cruising. Car also has a 390 rear. Thanks in advance and if I havn't looked in the right place or missed the right post. Sorry.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:15 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

There is a recent thread on this.
New Crossmember
Torq converter
Shifter kit (the one with the detents and silk screen for the shifter)
Kickdown cable
Don't know if the driveshaft needs mod for a 400 to 2004r swap, someone will
I would also go with a better cooler than stock

thats really it for the swap. What do you have in mind for the tranny itself?
Old 08-29-2009, 10:25 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

I don't think the cross member will need any modifications.

For the drive shaft, you will only need to change to the TH350 slip yoke, no need to shorten it.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Artsvette73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't need to change the crosmember. Just use what you have from the 400. The 2004r will bolt right where the 400 was. Yes you need the thm 350 yoke.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Gardee
Advanced

Thanks guys. For the tranny, I have one from a friend. there is a really good tranny guy in the area, will rebuild and modify/beef up as needed. Isn't there an electrical connection involved somewhere for the lockup
Old 08-29-2009, 02:49 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 74 Posts

Check out bowtieoverdrives.com. There is lots of info and they have everything you need to make it a simple change over. I bought mine through them and they were very helpful. It is a great mod if done correctly.
The cross member is fine but you do have to get a different yoke and front universal to hook up to the drive shaft. You need a TV cable and a way to hook it up to your carb. I had to replace my brake switch with one that has two sets of contacts so the converter will unlock if you step on the brakes. The way BTO setup the trans lockup converter is that it locks when in forth gear (OD). I wasn't happy with having to downshift every time I slowed down to unlock the converter so I installed a B&M controller that uses the speed to control the lock-up around 40mph.
You will want to get a detent plate so that your shifter will match the trans positions and you may have to rework your neutral safety switch.
The other thing that you will need is a bracket for the steering column lock. I had to make my own or disconnect it all together. I have made several for other forum members and it was not that difficult.
You will need to hook up a pressure gage to the trans when you first adjust the TV cable. Once that is correct you will not need it again.

Last edited by redwingvette; 08-29-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Gardee
Advanced

Now that is a lot of great info. I knew there was more to it. But sounds very doable and worth it.

Get notified of new replies

To What all is needed for a TH400 to a 200-R4 tranny swap

Quick Reply: What all is needed for a TH400 to a 200-R4 tranny swap