C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker side pipe headers on Vortec heads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:26 PM
cherrybombc3
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hooker side pipe headers on Vortec heads?

I'd like to go to side pipes on my 78.
Has anyone tried installing the Hooker side mount headers on after market Vortec heads? (Dart Iron Eagle Vortecs) The Tech Guru @ Hooker said no go! Won't work, something about the head's flange surfaces being too high??? Has anyone tried? If so what fitment issues did you experience?
Old 08-27-2009, 01:39 PM
baja216
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 08-27-2009, 02:22 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 527 Likes on 356 Posts

If the heads have raised exhaust ports, you may run into issues since the pipes are moved up and outwards in that case. Only way to know for sure is to try.

Edit: All the Dart info I could find is that their iron small block heads have the exhaust ports in the stock location so you should be good to go. BTW, could not find an "Iron Eagle Vortec" on their site.

Last edited by SteveG75; 08-27-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:49 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 252 Posts

GM vortecs have the same exhaust location as all previous heads, so if the Darts are the same layout as GM's your good to install.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:51 AM
cherrybombc3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SteveG75
If the heads have raised exhaust ports, you may run into issues since the pipes are moved up and outwards in that case. Only way to know for sure is to try.

Edit: All the Dart info I could find is that their iron small block heads have the exhaust ports in the stock location so you should be good to go. BTW, could not find an "Iron Eagle Vortec" on their site.
The guy @ Hooker thought the Dart's were raised exhaust ports, but I'll call Dart to inquire & confirm either way.

Regarding the Vortecs, go to the Dart site, go to heads, go to Chevy small block, go to Iron Eagle SS's, the Vortecs are all the way to the bottom. (96-99 Vortec Face w/Self Aligning Rockers, Non-LSX)
Old 08-28-2009, 01:05 PM
cherrybombc3
Burning Brakes

Ok, so the Guy @ Dart claims the exhaust ports are the same as GM's vortecs. With this knowledge, the Hookers should be a bolt on. If it wasnt for the Tech Guy @ Hooker I never would had second guessed it. He was quite adamant that NOPE, they will not work!!! But that's another thread, Tech lines who give out bogus advice, HA!
Thanks Guys for the input.

BAJA, nice looking set up!! Can you tell me how tuff of a job was it to get them mounted? I mean, I'm assuming you had to get the car pretty high in the air to get the headers in there??
Old 08-28-2009, 05:13 PM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They fit just fine on my 350 H.O. with vortec heads. Shouldn't have to raise the car much at all to put the headers on without the sidepipes connected. I had to do it with them connected since they were rust fused together. For that the car does have to be up in the air. Quite a bit up in the air.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:24 PM
woodlandcorvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have cast vortec heads stock exhaust had to be cut due to ports being high but my side pipes fit perfect no cutting on the body where they exit or anything I say they will work ohh mine is a 1979 by the way. I had to cut stock exhaust and rewelded to get motor broke in then went hooker sidepipes after breakin.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:09 PM
cherrybombc3
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the input Guys, I ordered them in the polished stainless & hope all goes well.
Oh one more thing, any suggestions on either the glass packs or the reverse flow muffler inserts. I do like loud and aggressive. For exhample, my Flowmaster Delta 40's are too quiet for my taste! However, I don't want to be getting pulled over all the time
Old 08-31-2009, 01:58 PM
DJCorn
Instructor

Originally Posted by cherrybombc3
Thanks for all the input Guys, I ordered them in the polished stainless & hope all goes well.
Oh one more thing, any suggestions on either the glass packs or the reverse flow muffler inserts. I do like loud and aggressive. For exhample, my Flowmaster Delta 40's are too quiet for my taste! However, I don't want to be getting pulled over all the time
I have had the Sweet Thunders in for about 4 days and they are loud! I may end up getting a quieter set for long trips, like the trip to BG this week. I told the wife to just bring ear plugs.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:03 PM
vette4spdvf
4th Gear

I have the vortec heads and have had the hooker side exhaust on for a couple of years with no problems. Put dont use the hooker brand exaust baffles, they suck. Use spiral turbo specialties. they sound great.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:29 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by cherrybombc3
You'll love the stainless. I was surprised they were only a little more than the chrome, they look great and should last forever. They will turn a brownish/gold color right at the heads, but it cleans up real good with some metal polish and a little elbow grease.

Originally Posted by vette4spdvf
Use spiral turbo specialties. they sound great.
I really like the STS baffles. I ended up drilling a 1/2" hole in the end-caps and love the way they sound now.

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker side pipe headers on Vortec heads?

Quick Reply: Hooker side pipe headers on Vortec heads?