C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Kipring
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Headlight Troubleshooting

I've got just three more hurdles to get the vette to pass the safety inspection.

I'm having problems with the headlights not coming on. The actuators are working, but the lights are not cutting on. This includes the high beams.

The cluster warning lights are working but I cannot tell if the cluster back lighting is working.

Thus far I spent a sweltering, upside-down day switching in a new headlight switch. Came up with dipsy. I'm beginning to think it could be the dimmer switch.

Any suggestions on going about finding the problem?

Thank you.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

Could be the dimmer switch. If you look at the attached diagram (78' vintage, but should be the same as your 82') all the power to the headlight goes through the dimmer switch. Also, check the headlight ground connections.

Gary

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/tune.../index11.shtml
Old 08-02-2009, 05:05 PM
PETKAH
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trace the headlight wires back as far as possible to check for any worn areas, breaks/etc. Do check the headlight sockets - they could be extremely dirty or just not tight.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:52 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Check the harness grounds too, there is one on both sides of the radiator shroud under there.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Kipring
Instructor

Okay I'm stuck.

Tried running around the dimmer switch, nothing.

Used a multimeter and when I activate the new light switch I just put in I get no voltage from the yellow wire.

I do have 5.5 volts from the orange wire, but nothing else when I remove the connector going to the light switch and check all of the other remaining wires. So it seems I'm only getting power to the orange, is this normal? Shouldn't there be another wire giving some juice? Is there a diagram on checking the new headlight switch given I'm getting no power to the yellow wire when I "turn on" the switch.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Kipring
Instructor

I know that the dark green and the brown wire go to other lights. The black wire is ground, but what about the white and red wires? Is the red wire supposed to be the 12 V source? If I'm getting 5 V from the orange wire is that enough or is it supposed to be a full 12 V?

Again getting no power to the yellow wire when I "activate" the lights. Dash warning lights come on, parking lights come on, just nothing to the yellow wire on the back of the light switch that is (I think) supposed to be going to the dimmer switch.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Kipring
Instructor

Okay may have found something.

Been scanning through parts on the headlight switch and dimmer switch and found a little insight.

I noticed a female connector dangling down while I was working on the headlights, didn't think anything of it since I couldn't find where it was supposed to go and couldn't find it on any of the books or posts. It seems it could be the female connector to the dimmer switch.

Is there a picture of where in an '82 where the dimmer switch male connector is supposed to be? I tried finding it in the books and the posts and couldn't find a good image. I've looked and I'm beginning to think that someone yanked it out and never finished trying to wire around it.

Thanks.

~ kip
Old 08-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Kipring
Instructor

After much searching through books I finally came a across a good diagram that showed that the red wire on the light switch is the 12 V source for the headlights.

The problem is the diagram doesn't say where the wire terminates.

The good is that my dad just replaced something called the neutral switch in his vette and felt the terminating point on the diagram for the red wire is probably the neutral switch. He got to this conclusion by noticing that the ignition, solenoid, starter and lights were all connected to this point. The switch cuts off the power to everything but the starter when cranking the engine.

When he showed me that it was on top of the steering column and a pain the butt to remove I decided to cheat. Since I'm looking to get the car through inspections and enjoy it through fall before winter tear down; I used a 12 V line from the fuse block and ran it to the headlight 12 V source.

Headlights are now on.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Troubleshooting

Quick Reply: Headlight Troubleshooting