C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:25 AM
ceweaver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is it?

I've got a new intake and carb ready to go on the 79, but before I dive into it, I've got a few questions on some misc stuff inside the engine compartment. I have never had the engine out, but a previous owner probably has.

First off, on the top of the firewall, next to the window wiper motor and distributor is a black canister, maybe a little longer and fatter than a pop can, with a wire coming out the end. The wire isn't hooked to anything (never has), but is clamped to a bracket mounted to the rear of the q-jet. What is it?

Next, I have some sort of rubber hose, larger than a vaccuum line, with a small metal tube clamped to the end that doesn't lead anywhere. I can trace it back down to another black canister just below the window washer fluid tank. In or out of this canister run a number of vaccuum lines. What is this large line supposed to be used for. Like I said, its not hooked up and has a large hole in the rubber near the metal tube. I think its supposed to lead up to the front top of the engine, maybe near the front of the carb. Any ideas?

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow if these explanations aren't enough.

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We're gonna need pix...
Old 08-04-2009, 11:27 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z-man
We're gonna need pix...
I think so !
Old 08-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

First off, on the top of the firewall, next to the window wiper motor and distributor is a black canister, maybe a little longer and fatter than a pop can, with a wire coming out the end. The wire isn't hooked to anything (never has), but is clamped to a bracket mounted to the rear of the q-jet. What is it?
W/O pics.: Sounds like it could be an external ig. coil.

Next, I have some sort of rubber hose, larger than a vaccuum line, with a small metal tube clamped to the end that doesn't lead anywhere. I can trace it back down to another black canister just below the window washer fluid tank. In or out of this canister run a number of vaccuum lines. What is this large line supposed to be used for. Like I said, its not hooked up and has a large hole in the rubber near the metal tube. I think its supposed to lead up to the front top of the engine, maybe near the front of the carb. Any ideas?
That's for the gas tank EVAP emissions- that hose probably went to the front of the Q-J.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:39 PM
ceweaver
Instructor

Random searches have pointed to the second item being something to do with the vapor canister, tho I'm not sure where its supposed to attach on the carb.

As far as the first item....well...pics, I know.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

Your second item is the evap canister. No clue what the first is.

Gary

Old 08-08-2009, 12:57 PM
ceweaver
Instructor

Here's the pic of the "canister".

You can kind of see the wire sticking out the end. Anyone know what this is or what it does? It's never been hooked up before....
Old 08-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

Maybe after market cruise control system like this one. Looks to have a cable coming out of one end to go to carb.

Gary

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...=788&langId=-1
Old 08-08-2009, 01:34 PM
mrmarchuk
Racer

definitely a cruise control and definitely aftermarket the stock one is smaller and skinnier but in the same place
Old 08-08-2009, 01:41 PM
ceweaver
Instructor

Hmmm...I removed the internal cruise control stuff a couple of years ago. I suppose I can remove this too then.

Thanks for the knowledge.

Get notified of new replies

To What is it?

Quick Reply: What is it?