C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Mods? I may have over did it with the engine (see pics)...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Highhat
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hood

I have a super victor, 1inch spacer and 3 inch drop base cleaner and it fits, with little to spare, under the L88 hood.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:39 PM
whitehause
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will try to post more pics tomorrow, Thats the only one I had downloaded to the forum site. I know the wheels are American racing, but I'm not sure what model they are. I'm putting a new paint job on it(that one in just horrible) Going to spray the first coat of primer tomorrow. It will be Triple deep black with a candy red motion stripe down the middle. I left the body mods for now as I have a 68 sb that I'm in the middle of restoring, and I don't have time to really dive into this one.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:02 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

It'll fit under my hood.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:14 AM
marz
Burning Brakes

I have the RPM AirGap and a 1" spacer. I bought the two inch high Holley oval air cleaner and it sits down fine with the stock hood. I actually have a BG Speed Demon on it ( Holley lookalike).
Old 08-04-2009, 10:58 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why don't you do this: Buy some chassis dyno time and pull some runs with and without the spacer. You will know what HP increase there is and then make the decision on the hood....another thing, get a drop down base, that is imperative if you want everything to fit under a stock or L-88 hood.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you have an air cleaner with a top side filter element, the normal cylindrical filter itself doesn't need to be more than an inch tall.

Now it will fit under an L-88 hood. There you go...
Old 08-04-2009, 11:37 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

If you want to keep your carb spacer, air cleaner base and filter element, a fiberglass hood scoop would allow you to keep your stock hood.
But a one inch or more drop base could help without hurting performance...
I was thinking to something like this, but many others are available if you don't like this one... and cheaper than a complete hood.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SU...2/?image=large
Old 08-04-2009, 07:17 PM
whitehause
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the 4" glassed in rise I was talking about....Helps keep a "sort of" stock look.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default My choice....

Is Rolling Thunder. If you are going to have a scoop, that is a very attractive setup.

Bud.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by gatorbcn
Carb spacers and tall air filter elements are pretty common on performance engine builds these days (look at the Engine Master's/Jeg's Challenge). I know that there is some dyno data that shows real improvements on high perfomance builds using carb spacers, etc. I don't know if there is much data to show significant improvements on more streetable engines. I assume that you have certain performance goals in mind for YOUR motor and that's why you need some help.

Obviously, it would be easier to eliminate the carb spacer, use a drop base air cleaner and use a more narrow air filter element. However, if this solution doesn't meet YOUR perfomance goals for YOUR motor, then I would suggest looking at the aftermarket fiberglass hoods with the 4"-5" raised cowls. There are several cars on the forum that have these installed - can't think of the members right now.

In fact, I've seen data that shows carb spacers hurt performance. My opinion is they are generally a band-aid for a poor intake manifold selection. As mentioned above, only a dyno will tell. Remember - mags have a bias to promote their advertizers parts!

Last edited by Ben Lurkin; 08-04-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:47 AM
gatorbcn
Racer

Originally Posted by Ben Lurkin

In fact, I've seen data that shows carb spacers hurt performance. My opinion is they are generally a band-aid for a poor intake manifold selection. As mentioned above, only a dyno will tell. Remember - mags have a bias to promote their advertizers parts!
I am not talking about 'Hot Rod' articles. . .

I think that the spacers really only have benefits on high perfomance builds, barely streetable and track only stuff. Dyno time is always a good thing and he will definitely know if it makes a difference on his build. Remember that there are many different "recipes" for getting power out of sbc motors. A whole industry has thrived on all the different variations for 50 years and hundreds of versions have been tested in magazines and garages alike. Your idea on getting 400 or 500 hp may be different from the next guy's, but in the end you may both end up in the same place. That's what makes this fun!

BTW - I am a "fit it all under the stock hood" guy.

Last edited by gatorbcn; 08-05-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:18 PM
john roth
Racer

That "sort of" stock hood looks pretty cool !
Old 08-06-2009, 02:39 AM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am running an RPM airgap with a spacer without any issues under an L88 hood....

Just a point to consider though..... If you do a lot of driving on the street and through the country-side....

The L88 hood significantly cuts forward vision when you are comfortably sitting back in your seat, especially under accelleration when the nose soars upwards.

A taller hood than an L88 style would make visibility an even bigger issue... unless you're a lanky yank and have a Dan Gurney style bubble to prop your head through!
Old 08-06-2009, 02:57 AM
dp9
Racer

I've got the same problem, and I'm going the custom route. I decided I liked the mustang Boss style scoop, so I picked one up and I am in the process of converting it into a shaker hood scoop. I'd post pics but I havent finished it yet.

It really depends how you want it to look/function, and what you want to spend to get there. All these pics are great and will hopefully give you an idea of what you want to do. Let us know when you figure it out!
Old 08-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Here is some more unwanted criticism. Gingerbreadman, please help 7t2Vette with a new avatar. Pretty please? Hey, I was being nice. Geese.
I like high rise hoods, but I didn't know they would be a huge vision obstruction. Something else to consider.
Bee Jay
Old 08-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Carb spacers and tall air filter elements are pretty common on performance engine builds these days (look at the Engine Master's/Jeg's Challenge).
I am not talking about 'Hot Rod' articles. . .
ok then, PHR. . .

I think that the spacers really only have benefits on high perfomance builds, barely streetable and track only stuff. Dyno time is always a good thing and he will definitely know if it makes a difference on his build. Remember that there are many different "recipes" for getting power out of sbc motors. A whole industry has thrived on all the different variations for 50 years and hundreds of versions have been tested in magazines and garages alike. Your idea on getting 400 or 500 hp may be different from the next guy's, but in the end you may both end up in the same place. That's what makes this fun!
BTW - I am a "fit it all under the stock hood" guy.
I think we are both saying the same thing here.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:28 PM
miechesa
Instructor

Get notified of new replies

To Hood Mods? I may have over did it with the engine (see pics)...

Old 08-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
You came to the wrong place.
You are one of the biggest critics.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by whitehause
Here is the 4" glassed in rise I was talking about....Helps keep a "sort of" stock look.
The hood looks good.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
I also have a 406 SBC w/AFR's, Edelbrock RPM Airgap Intake, and a 1" spacer under my Holley 750 carb; with a 1 1/2" drop base, this fits under my L-88 hood no problem.

I was gonna say that myself. the only problem I see is the Air Cleaner. With a "normal" drop-base type air cleaner that setup looks like it would fit under an L-88 hood for sure.

So my suggestion is to get an L-88 hood and then an air cleaner that will fit. Drop base AC's don't rob your power.

-W

Quick Reply: Hood Mods? I may have over did it with the engine (see pics)...