C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guess what my rwhp will be after dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 05:27 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what if it blows on the dyno? is that going to be a choice?

I say 240hp at wheels.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:40 AM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As is before tune up:
305 rwhp
335 tq
Old 07-22-2009, 05:02 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffp1167
what if it blows on the dyno? is that going to be a choice?

I say 240hp at wheels.

That's why i won't dyno mine,, not gonna stall the engine at 5500 rpms,, eff-in crazy
Old 07-22-2009, 07:41 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

how is running on a different any different that a full throttle run on the street?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:12 AM
timgman
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baxsom
how is running on a different any different that a full throttle run on the street?
I don't know but my pal ran his ford 460 like hell on the street but when he did his pull at the dyno (450 na whp prior to tuning) a wrist pin froze and chewed a big hole between two pistons... Now he uses srp pistons with floating wrist pins.. he has yet to dyno it.. Can't blame him hehehe
He want to race me.. He'll kill me hehehehe
Old 07-22-2009, 12:01 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,174 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by timgman
I don't know but my pal ran his ford 460 like hell on the street but when he did his pull at the dyno (450 na whp prior to tuning) a wrist pin froze and chewed a big hole between two pistons... Now he uses srp pistons with floating wrist pins.. he has yet to dyno it.. Can't blame him hehehe
He want to race me.. He'll kill me hehehehe
So it would have been better if this happened to him on the street in traffic?

If it happened on the dyno, it was going to happen sooner or later and was just a matter of time.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:14 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by toddalin

If it happened on the dyno, it was going to happen sooner or later and was just a matter of time.
After years of running dynos I can say unless the dyno operator is incompetant, the dyno is not going to be detremental to the health of a healthy motor.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:57 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,335 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Somewhat!

An engine dyno can create the max stress that can only be duplicated on the road by doing things like running the car with gas petal on the floor in over drive at high speed. Where the air wall resistance is forcing the motor to strain. Like when I floor my car at 150 mph and it just slowly increases in speed compared to how fast it can get up to 150. But a typical dyno only does a run for a mater of seconds

You see lots of motors blown up at places like Bonneville Salt flats because the motor is under max stress for 30 - 60 seconds.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:54 PM
QuicheLorraine
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
Somewhat!

An engine dyno can create the max stress that can only be duplicated on the road by doing things like running the car with gas petal on the floor in over drive at high speed. Where the air wall resistance is forcing the motor to strain. Like when I floor my car at 150 mph and it just slowly increases in speed compared to how fast it can get up to 150. But a typical dyno only does a run for a mater of seconds

You see lots of motors blown up at places like Bonneville Salt flats because the motor is under max stress for 30 - 60 seconds.
You are mistaking a dyno HORSEPOWER RUN with Dyno tuning. They are completely different.

A horsepower run is just a single run-up to the redline, measuring the RWHP. Dyno Tuning on the other hand is many runs, over and over again at different throttle settings to simulate vehicle speed at different loads. Tuning modifications/adjustment is done between each run. The dyno is loading the wheels to simulate vehicle weight and/or uphill motion. The dyno does a very good job of simulating driving conditions.

That being said I agree with the poster that suggested that failure on the dyno isn't from what's happening that particular day. It was bound to happen on the road somewhere under similar driving conditions.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:22 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

3 blown engines in the past year, all 3 dyno tuned, all 3 dyno run for horse power...... all 3 blown on the street.... I am very hard on my engines, never had a problem on the dyno.... I agree, if it blows on the dyno, it will blow on the street, there is something wrong with the engine... I think I would listen to gkull,,, I believe he really knows what he is talking about.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:35 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by toddalin

if its going to go it will do it idling in traffic or going down the track, it doesnt matter. Doing a dyno run or anything else isnt to blame.

To the OP, get your run done yet?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:52 PM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by baxsom
there's an 'outlet' for the power- ie, car goes faster. stalling the motor- no outlet, no pressure release, dynoing is going to produce more strain in the chain- so i would not do it, on any motor, that's why you see so many motors that blow on the dyno, that would of driven just fine on the street for many years.

"If it happened on the dyno, it was going to happen sooner or later and was just a matter of time. "
Old 07-23-2009, 07:59 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,174 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by RunningMan373
there's an 'outlet' for the power- ie, car goes faster. stalling the motor.

There's an 'outlet' on the dyno. It spins faster requiring more power to spin stalling the motor.

However, I can see where the dyno could blow up an engine if it wasn't up to snuff and the owner never takes it up to redline.

I'm sure that there are a lot of people in this boat who are either afraid of blowing up their matching # engine, or are, well...

Last edited by toddalin; 07-23-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:08 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

*sigh* The dyno discussion is "interesting"...for another thread Today's likely our last shot for getting in a guess...ummmm estimate!
Old 07-23-2009, 09:17 PM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RunningMan373
there's an 'outlet' for the power- ie, car goes faster. stalling the motor- no outlet, no pressure release, dynoing is going to produce more strain in the chain- so i would not do it, on any motor, that's why you see so many motors that blow on the dyno, that would of driven just fine on the street for many years.

"If it happened on the dyno, it was going to happen sooner or later and was just a matter of time. "

I can see your point, Runningman... if one was to build up the top end for power only on a well used motor, and not check the pistons, conrods, crank or bearings... then sure.... you've got a potential time bomb waiting to go "BANG!" when you do put some real stress on the motor.

But like said by so many above.... it will go "BANG!" just as easily on the street under full load as it would on a dyno if there are weaknesses.

Better to find the weakness whilst it's in the workshop, rather than 150 miles away from home on a power cruise!

Main benefit of the dyno is for tuning purposes to verify correct A/F ratio under all load conditions. This improves driveability, performance, fuel economy and reliability if done correctly.

Having said all that, I would steer clear of putting my car in any dyno comps at car shows for entertainment purposes.....
That's when you may have an inept untrained cowboy operating the controls.

But a dyno run at a reputable tuneshop... Go for it!
Should NOT pose any problems at all.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:20 PM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by billla
*sigh* The dyno discussion is "interesting"...for another thread Today's likely our last shot for getting in a guess...ummmm estimate!

Thanks Billa.... getting us back on topic!

I reckon 285 rwhp....
Old 07-23-2009, 09:38 PM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OzzyTom
I can see your point, Runningman... if one was to build up the top end for power only on a well used motor, and not check the pistons, conrods, crank or bearings... then sure.... you've got a potential time bomb waiting to go "BANG!" when you do put some real stress on the motor.

The bottom end of my motor was rebuilt ~4 years ago. Crank and bearings checked ~1 year ago.

That said , a well built motor should have No Problems on a dyno, however, stalling the motor will produce more stress on it then acceleration. matter of mechanics. FYI. Back to on topic. I say 290 at the rears.

Get notified of new replies

To Guess what my rwhp will be after dyno tune

Old 07-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Glass Act
Melting Slicks

Location: 406ci SB, AFR 180 Heads - 490 HP @5,600 RPM 529 lb-ft @ 4,100 RPM

320 hp
Old 07-23-2009, 11:10 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

275RWHP if just one or 2 pulls with no tuning. If tuning session you might see 300RWHP but it is much harder than you might think to get that kind of HP out of a street driven 355ci. I know I tried and fell short by 4 hp
Old 07-23-2009, 11:37 PM
63Nova
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

293hp

Quick Reply: Guess what my rwhp will be after dyno tune