C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 Wink Out

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 04:16 PM
WRAITH666
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Wink Out

The title may be confusing, but, here's the problem . Many know I have a ' 76 that I installed a '94 LT1 in . Now, it has developed a problem that I can't figure . I'll be driving along, and the car will just die . It's only a split second, but, scares the hell out of me ! I haven't checked anything yet, as I figured I'd run it past the more knowledgable people on here first . When I say die, I mean EVERYTHING ! I know when it happens as the radio cuts out and that's my tell . It comes right back,( the power ) but, hell, it shouldn't do it at all . Any ideas, solutions are greatly appreciated !
Old 07-07-2009, 12:12 AM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

sounds like you're losing power at the ignition switch.. loose wire maybe? that's really the only place that would kill everything at once..
Old 07-07-2009, 02:14 AM
WRAITH666
Instructor

I will have to take a look. The column was taken out to fix a broken bearing, so, maybe there is a bare wire somewhere .
Old 07-07-2009, 05:52 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Firewall connector, behind the fuse panel, bad connection or loose retaining bolt, I bet odds.....

had a crazy thing like that happen to me at a airport one night, used a jumper cable and some clip leads to get the car home...

talk about lucky, there was no one around, last flight in....

Old 07-07-2009, 03:16 PM
WRAITH666
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrvette
Firewall connector, behind the fuse panel, bad connection or loose retaining bolt, I bet odds.....

had a crazy thing like that happen to me at a airport one night, used a jumper cable and some clip leads to get the car home...

talk about lucky, there was no one around, last flight in....

That might be a good place to look . I don't know if it's related , but, I have a nasty whine coming through the radio. Thing is, when I go over bumps, the whine gets louder, then almost stops , as if a wire somewhere was loose or grounding . I'm sure it has nothing to do with the radio , or amps themselves . I see no loose wires on or around the alt. . Plug wires are all tight . Just another gremlin to add to my nightmare .
Old 07-07-2009, 05:29 PM
shmoky
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had exactly the same thing happen last week. Loosened the ignition and wiggled it and got power again. Lasted for another week of holidays and 1000 miles. Then died again when getting fuel. Pulled center console out and found that the ignition plug had come undone. Plugged it back in and not a problem since.

shmoky
Old 07-07-2009, 05:32 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Fuse block connection problem or ground wire/connection problem. Don't forget to check your battery cables on both ends.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:54 PM
slaine
Instructor

I had this exact problem with my one owner 80 vette. The whole electrical system would stop and I mean everything would black out while running down the road and then suddenly, all would resume as normal. One day the vette suddenly died and rolled to a halt. Dead like it had no battery in it. I lifted the hood and began checking wires. When I grabbed the fusible link wires(by the firewall down to the starter), the underhood light came on. I replaced the fusible link wires with heavy-duty wiring. They were all burnt and corroded from header heat. I've had no problems since. I hope that this helps.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:31 PM
WRAITH666
Instructor

Any and all suggestions certainly help !! Now, as soon as God turns off the water works, I can get to it !!
Old 07-09-2009, 05:40 PM
WRAITH666
Instructor

Ok, color me " not too bright " :o . Started looking for the problem today . When under the hood, checked connections at the computer , engine , etc . THEN, I went to the battery , before trying to squeeze under the dash . Guess what ! The POSITIVE clamp was LOOSE !! The boneheads who did the body restoration evidently ' forgot ' to tighten it ! I could almost spin it around !!! I'ts too early to tell if that was it, as I said, it just dies at will . But, I'll bet every $ I have that was it ! Doubtful it has anything to do with the fluctuating radio whine , but, I hope it cured the shorting problem . Many many thanks to all that offered suggestions !!!

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 Wink Out

Quick Reply: LT1 Wink Out