C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm Lazy - Tach Cable/1974

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by langlj00
Paul,
In answer to your question:
The standard fit cable assembly for a '74 will not pull out from the distributor end. There is a ferrul or bush at the tach. end that stops it pulling out.

However, if you follow the instructions above about disconnecting it, then you can pull out the inner (from the tach. end) - I wiped mine down with oil to lube it and then assembled it the other way around, so that I can pull it out from the engine side whenever I feel the need. (That said, that was 5 years ago, and I haven't looked at it since) - This took all the bounce out of the needle. Works just fine.

1974 Auto - Coupe

Jeremy.
Thanks Jeremy. I appreciate the reply. I ordered a new cable from Willcox and will install that when it arrives.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

I did a 120-mile cruise today. Five miles from home the squeak-squeak-squeak that I could hear at low RPMs from the dash/tach and was no doubt there at higher RPMs disappeared. Yes, the tach no longer works. The cable I ordered from Willcox is not here yet but hopefully that will remedy the problem when it arrives.

Love these old cars: just one thing after another.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

OK, I can't see or feel that tach cable from under the dash. If I pull the upper dash cover will that expose it? Yes, I know the dangers of that procedure; I did it last year (successfully).
Old 07-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

I would appreciate some help on this. I can't reach that cable from underneath the dash. The Willcox cable is now here. What has to come off?
Old 07-20-2009, 08:08 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

I know a tach cable is much ado about nothing but these little problems intrigue me.

-I can't pull the cable out from the distributor end so the cable is not broken
-if I manually twist the cable the tach flickers so it is functional
-the distributor drive mechanism rotates so the internal gearing seems OK

Staring at my navel, a beer, and that cable last night I suddenly realized that the distributor end inner cable is no longer square: it is ROUND! Very strange. But certainly a good reason for things not to work....

This may indicate damage to the brass coupling inner passage. I'll fight with the cable again today under the dash. No luck in releasing it so far. If the coupling is damaged I will replace it as I have a spare, newly rebuilt distributor at hand.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

OK, I'm much bloodied. I can't reach that clip. The Corvette wins and goes tachless. So be it.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:11 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Hey Paul,

Can you get your finger on the clip?

If so, you have to push the clip in and at the same time push the cable towards you. Sometimes the clips get hung up on the cable housing.

Of coarse you’ll have to get upside down in the seat to pull this off but it can be done.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Hey Paul,

Can you get your finger on the clip?

If so, you have to push the clip in and at the same time push the cable towards you. Sometimes the clips get hung up on the cable housing.

Of coarse you’ll have to get upside down in the seat to pull this off but it can be done.
I've been rightside, leftside, sideways, upside-down. And that's a trick at the age of 60. I can't get near that clip. My right hand is bloody, bruised, and badly swollen. I give up. It will be a tachless summer.

I tried from underneath by hand and through the grommet hole with a bamboo stick. That cable will not come out....
Old 07-21-2009, 09:36 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by paul 74
I've been rightside, leftside, sideways, upside-down. And that's a trick at the age of 60...
Good think your wife didn't video this, I know mine would have

Got any kids locally that could reach in there for you? Also, you might try taking the three screws loose from the top, the two in the center console and the outer dash pad screws and pull the pad out a little. (like the cheat trick used on the headlamp switch). If you unscrew the tach cable from the distributor, this would allow you to pull the pad toward you possibly enough to reach in there.

Good Luck,

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 07-23-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: changed tach to distributor!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:22 PM
langlj00
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Paul,
Hadn't seen the cotinuing saga!
I did what willcox suggested and did manage to get up in there from underneath.

Got a son / grandson with smaller hands ?

Jeremy.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Good think your wife didn't video this, I know mine would have

Got any kids locally that could reach in there for you? Also, you might try taking the three screws loose from the top, the two in the center console and the outer dash pad screws and pull the pad out a little. (like the cheat trick used on the headlamp switch). If you unscrew the tach cable from the tach, this would allow you to pull the pad toward you possibly enough to reach in there.

Good Luck,

Willcox
You can't do that from underneath. Even with a skinny arm. No way on earth. On a convertible there are cross braces blocking every port of access. In other words no access.

And the tach end is not screw-on, it is a clip. Wow, Willcox finally made a mistake...OK one allowed .

My Brother and I did the job. Pulled the driver's dash out about 6" and I was able to reach in and release the cable from the clip. Installing the new was more problematic as the angle of attack into the tach head was off by ~ 30*. You need three hands in there to hold the clip out and position the cable while someone pushes from the firewall side. Finally I heard the click of satisfaction at the tach head. No electrical leads seem to have been pulled. OK to drive. The tach works. I did a graphite lube of the inner cable before installation. Hopefully this cable will last another 35 years.

Kudos to the Wife for band-aid detail. Do you know how many ways you can cut your hands under a Corvette dash? But after a few beers and a T-bone BBQ later who cares? On with life although this job irritated me. But you know these small jobs can drive you crazy!

Last edited by Paul L; 07-23-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:20 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by paul 74
And the tach end is not screw-on, it is a clip. Wow, Willcox finally made a mistake...OK one allowed .
Paul,

Busted on a typo, you got me!!!!! man that's cold!

It should have read to un-screw from the distributor. Sorry!

Willcox
Old 07-31-2009, 10:53 PM
VCuomo
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 08vycpe
Yes. Here is a lube fitting for the tach and speedo. I did the tach and speedo cables in my '73 & the speedo cable in my '79. Don't over lube. One squeeze of the grease gun per foot of cable.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette...&searched=tach lube
Interesting - the instructions for this lube fitting say to use white lithium grease. Is it OK to use this type of grease, or will that mess up the tach and speedo like ordinary grease?

Quick Reply: I'm Lazy - Tach Cable/1974