C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:48 PM
raulotero91
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump?

I have a question for you guys. I have a 79 corvette with a mechanical fuel pump located in the front of the engine on the passenger side. It looks pretty difficult to access and i was wondering how to replace it. What steps should i take. any help is appreciated.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

Not that hard. Remove and PLUG the rubber hose coming from the tank (gas will leak out when you remove this hose so be careful). Remove the return hose. Remove the steel line going to the carb. Spray some good penatrating oil on the fittings and let sit for a few hours, Repeat a couple of times. Use a TUBE NUT wrench and remove the tube nuts. Loosen and remove the 2 bolts holding the pump to the engine. Note that the fuel pump push rod will fall out when you remove the pump so be aware. Clean the mounting surface of any old gasket material. Reverse the process to install the new pump. You may have to remove the brass elbow fitting in the old pump if the new one came w/o it. Use a new gasket and apply a little grease to the end of the push rod so it won't fall out as you install the new pump.

Gary

Old 07-02-2009, 06:29 PM
raulotero91
Heel & Toe

wow, awesome picture. is it easier to reach the pump from the bottom? could i do it on jack stands or should i get it on a lift?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by raulotero91
wow, awesome picture. is it easier to reach the pump from the bottom? could i do it on jack stands or should i get it on a lift?
The 2 mounting bolts get from the top, hoses and steel tube from the bottom. Jack stands will work fine. It sometimes helps if you remove the wheel.

Gary
Old 07-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Here's another thread on fuel pump change.

Gary

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...tallation.html
Old 07-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Buddy1980
Racer

Default fuel pump install

Come on guys, do you not ever read repair manuals? Take the fuel pump off the engine, remove the short bolt that is threaded on the front of the block directly in line with the fuel pump pushrod, insert a longer bolt and hand tighten while holding the pushrod up all the way into the block. Install new pump and then remove long bolt and replace with short original bolt. Could I be the only one who knew this? I have done it dozens of times in the last 30 years. The temporary long bolt holds the pushrod up out of the way while you replace fuel pump. Try it any other way and I promise you will call your car all kind of bad names!
Old 07-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Mad Vette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use a dab of axle grease on the pump rod that would usually hold it long enough to get the pump on.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:19 AM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I typically use a hacksaw blade to hold the rod up while I put the pump in.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:49 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,256 Likes on 974 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Buddy1980
Come on guys, do you not ever read repair manuals? Take the fuel pump off the engine, remove the short bolt that is threaded on the front of the block directly in line with the fuel pump pushrod, insert a longer bolt and hand tighten while holding the pushrod up all the way into the block. Install new pump and then remove long bolt and replace with short original bolt. Could I be the only one who knew this? I have done it dozens of times in the last 30 years. The temporary long bolt holds the pushrod up out of the way while you replace fuel pump. Try it any other way and I promise you will call your car all kind of bad names!
You are 100% correct, that is one way to remove and replace the fuel pump but:
#1 until Duke94 posted the link no one mentioned the set the distributor at #1 to get the fuel pump rod on the heal of the cam, and
#2 when replacing the original 3/8 X 16 X 1/2 inch bolt you should apply some thread sealer.
We were all newby's at one time and some of us don't have all the books or can't find the information. PG.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The first time I did a fuel pump on a Corvette w/ A/C, looked the situation over & pulled the right front tire & used long extensions.
Have posted that tip many times. Esp. for A/C.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pump?

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump?