C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

edelbrock carburator

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:34 AM
davat
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default edelbrock carburator

hi.
i have a '73 auto corvette with a 600 cfm edelbrock carb.
what side do i connect the distributer vacume line and why.

david.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:49 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

There will be a number of ports you can choose for that dist. vac feed line. Remove any hose/cap from each one while the engine is idling and put the end of your finger over it. If it has some suction on it, that is an engine "manifold" port. If it does not have suction, leave your finger over it and just crack the throttle a bit (1500 rpm max). That will open the throttle plate enough to pass vacuum to that port if is a "ported" vacuum line. If you are not certain whether you are feeling vacuum or not, tear a small piece of paper or tissue and put it on the end of the port to see if it stays there; if not, there is no vacuum present.

Once you have identified at least one 'manifold' and one 'ported' connection, you have your choice of which to connect to the distributor can. Most folks select the "manifold" port because vacuum is always there. If you are really 'green' [environmentally speaking], you can try you idle on the 'ported' connection. That will eliminate vacuum on the can at idle so that the cylinders will be firing hotter and burn more emissions. Once you just touch the throttle, it will go to full vacuum for running.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:59 PM
wytevette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davat
hi.
i have a '73 auto corvette with a 600 cfm edelbrock carb.
what side do i connect the distributer vacume line and why.

david.
I have the same year and same setup. Unfortunately, I can't look at it at the moment, but can check it this evening.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

This vacuum advance is connected to manifold vacuum. Edelbrock says this is for "pre-emissions" vehicles. The pic shows ported vacuum plugged.

Get notified of new replies

To edelbrock carburator

Quick Reply: edelbrock carburator