C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Results on vibration with 8" Fluidampr

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 03:15 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Default Results on vibration with 8" Fluidampr

I have been fighting a vibration problem for a long long long time!!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-tech-performance/2265545-vibration-at-highway-speeds-also-still.html

I am going to be doing a test with needle gages and some electronic equipment to show the before and after results of the amount and frequency of the vibration.

My biggest focus will be on the RPM range from 3500 to 4000. This is where most of the vibration is felt.

So, I will first post sometime next week of the "Before" work and vibration.
Then I will install the Fluidamper and run the same test and then report the after results.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:24 PM
fugawi
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking forward to results
Old 06-26-2009, 07:31 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Why are you using/testing a Fluidamper? For that RPM range, they're okay. Not really much better to the task than a factory-type replacement. If the engine has any higher RPM aspirations, an ATI would be better all around.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:59 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Good question, After reading as many posts as I could find, and advise from another forum member that I respect, and value his opinion, I decided to go with this brand. I then called Fluidamper and told them what I was looking for and that I will be running a test on it and posting the results here, good , bad, and or indifferent. I was ready to give them my CC and the salesmen then offered to ship out a unit to test for free. cool... very nice and confident. No one has ever done this type of test and posted the results. I have been fighting a vibration problem for a very long time now, see vibration post, and am at my wits end. This is about the only thing that has not been changed for something DIFFERENT, although the current HB is a NEW, and the second, Pioneer damper that is currently on it. There are a lot of us that seem to have this problem and if this fixes it there may be others that benefit also. if it does not, well... don't wast your money. After the test and post of all results i will move back over to the original vibration post, because this is just a part, although very large part, of all the other vibration problems and what else I have done to fix it. so... cool?
Old 06-26-2009, 01:43 PM
mox_ct
Intermediate

Recently I brought my parts to a machine shop to rebuild. 350 seasoned block, forged crank with the matching balanced rod set and pistons from a previous engine. I asked the builder to remove the Hypeutectic piston and replace with forged. Also I asked him to balance the engine (short block with degreed cam). I brought it home and installed Edlebrock RPM Performer heads and an air gap intake with a 650 vacuum secondary holley and the fluidamper that was previously on the rotating assembly (previously a nitros engine). I brought it to a friend that has an engine dyno. The first pull we realized something was wrong very wrong 'out of balance'. I brought it back to the builder he went through it again with the same result. The second time I brought it to the builder he pulled the forged pistons off and installed hypereutectic pistons and rebalanced. By this time I had called Fluidamper and asked about the possibility there was something wrong with the used fluidamper. They said, not possible unless it has been physically damaged i.e. dented, bent and so forth. Needless to say the engine is fine now. The builder messed up on the balancing some how. A lot of pains to go through. Just thought I would throw my two cents in about fluidampers.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:53 PM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry72
Why are you using/testing a Fluidamper? For that RPM range, they're okay. Not really much better to the task than a factory-type replacement. If the engine has any higher RPM aspirations, an ATI would be better all around.
Once upon a time, ATI had a chart on their website that showed how well their balancer worked at various rpm ranges. At high RPM it really was better than anything else. But the chart also showed that at 7000 rpm and below the Fluidamper was actually better than the ATI. You wont find that chart anywhere on their website any more for obvious reasons.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:13 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DRIVESHAFT
Once upon a time, ATI had a chart on their website that showed how well their balancer worked at various rpm ranges. At high RPM it really was better than anything else. But the chart also showed that at 7000 rpm and below the Fluidamper was actually better than the ATI. You wont find that chart anywhere on their website any more for obvious reasons.
Cool... gives me hope
Old 06-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Hmmm, I just put in an ATI in my rebuild. I'll have to check it out once I get it running again.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:44 PM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Buzzardz_vette
Hmmm, I just put in an ATI in my rebuild. I'll have to check it out once I get it running again.
There is nothing wrong with ATI balancers. They are very nice and do a good job.
I was just pointing out that Fluidampers are nice too, in the proper rpm range.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Help me here and excuse my ignorance. What does the fluiddamper or ATI do so much better than our stock 8" dampers? How much do these things cost? I had my engine blanced when it was out. it runs pretty smooth.
Bee Jay
Old 06-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Fluidampr used to publish the same chart with the same results.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:44 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
Help me here and excuse my ignorance. What does the fluiddamper or ATI do so much better than our stock 8" dampers? How much do these things cost? I had my engine blanced when it was out. it runs pretty smooth.
Bee Jay
You need to go to there site and take a look.. its not a solid damper but a damper with rings inside immersed in some sort of silicon fluid gel that is supposed to dampen a wider range of harmonics, and better too...
And I hope it works...
Old 06-26-2009, 06:50 PM
mox_ct
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pauldana
You need to go to there site and take a look.. its not a solid damper but a damper with rings inside immersed in some sort of silicon fluid gel that is supposed to dampen a wider range of harmonics, and better too...
And I hope it works...
Another advantage is the Fluidamper and ATI are basically one piece, where the stock GM damper is two pieces bonded with rubber between the two pieces. Under extreme condition the outer ring can slip and over time the rubber will deteriate.

Get notified of new replies

To Results on vibration with 8" Fluidampr

Quick Reply: Results on vibration with 8" Fluidampr