C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR heads still have oil return problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 11:44 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default AFR heads still have oil return problem

Great heads, performance wise and probably better than they were before but the oil return problem is still there and it builds up and leaks out the back corners.

Going to have to get some cork gaskets and RTV both sides this is a PIA with solid roller because I take the valve cover off frequently.

Never had this problem with any other heads even cheaper heads at half the price. I don't understand why they can't fix this
Old 06-22-2009, 12:11 AM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Unreal. Why can't they simply raise the valve cover rails on the heads a bit?
Old 06-22-2009, 12:21 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Seems like others have done that, but for some reason the oil doesn't drain back properly on these heads, you take the valve cover off and there are little puddles all the way down getting bigger towards the back. So just sitting there with the engine off all the oil doesn't drain back. So this is the problem, It really PO'ed me today, I have had the Vette for 15 years and my neighbour complained for the first time about the burnt oil smell, runs out of the corner and drips on the headers
Old 06-22-2009, 08:49 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,063 Posts

With all the complaints about the old head problems like my AFR210's, it would have seemed like they would have fixed the problem of oil control

I have pictures of how Smokedtires machined his. I machined mine for better oil return and have not had any leaking.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Lee H
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to see the pics. I'm almost ready to buy the AFR195s but now I'll wait a little longer. Thanks,
Old 06-22-2009, 10:36 AM
QuicheLorraine
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Great heads, performance wise and probably better than they were before but the oil return problem is still there and it builds up and leaks out the back corners.

Going to have to get some cork gaskets and RTV both sides this is a PIA with solid roller because I take the valve cover off frequently.

Never had this problem with any other heads even cheaper heads at half the price. I don't understand why they can't fix this
I have only about 500 miles on my AFR 195's but no leaks.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:41 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

I can RTV the gaskets to the heads and then to the valve covers and have no leaks too.

That's not my point here. The oil should have a good path back to the return hole and not build up enough to leak in the first place. Like I said above I have the valve covers on and off all the time and until now it was a breeze, never needed any RTV. Now I am going to have to scrap that crap off and buy new gaskets everytime I want to set / check the lash on my solid roller cam
Old 06-22-2009, 11:10 AM
gkull
Team Owner

I just use the silicone gaskets with the metal inserts so you can't crush the gasket. This worked fine even b efore I machined the heads.

I' will post pics later. I machined a trough 1/2 wide right down to the spring pocket depth the length of the head. The I opened up the size of the oil return holes. So now the oil does not build up as high

Last edited by gkull; 06-22-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:32 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I've been using the same rubber gasket for a few years with no leaks to speak of. I RTV'd the gasket to the valve cover, but left the head side clean. I run a solid flat tappet cam, so the covers come off once in a while for checking. Last time I had it open only two valves needed adjustment, and only a few thousandths. I checked them all since I already had bought the beer.............The heads are the old style AFR 195's.

Last edited by The Money Pit; 06-22-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:49 PM
gkull
Team Owner

I did more extensive machining. 1/2 wide milling bit. I did not take away any of the heads valve cover shelf. I did not want less gasket sealing. Mine is cut down to the bottom of the spring pocket to keep oil away from the valve stem seals and to make a flow path for faster return. My oil returen holes at each end of the head have been enlarged and recontoured for oil return and not such a big residual oil puddle like what is shown here.

Pictures are awaiting Photobucket approval before they appear

Last edited by gkull; 06-22-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:52 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Old 06-22-2009, 04:59 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Originally Posted by gkull
I did more extensive machining. 1/2 wide milling bit. I did not take away any of the heads valve cover shelf. I did not want less gasket sealing. Mine is cut down to the bottom of the spring pocket to keep oil away from the valve stem seals and to make a flow path for faster return. My oil returen holes at each end of the head have been enlarged and recontoured for oil return and not such a big residual oil puddle like what is shown here.

Pictures are awaiting Photobucket approval before they appear

Looks just like mine, big puddle of oil in the corner and it never drains out, soon as you fire it up more oil comes down and it leaks
Old 06-22-2009, 05:12 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Looks just like mine, big puddle of oil in the corner and it never drains out, soon as you fire it up more oil comes down and it leaks
These are a pictures of Smokedtires AFR 210's and I think that he just did the small extra machining.

My 210 with lots of work is on my spare motor in a crate and I'm not digging it out just for pictures

Last edited by gkull; 06-22-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:56 PM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you running a PCV and breather system?
I can't tell from the pic in the avatar.

Just wondering if you are building positive pressure under the rocker cover which is compounding the issue?

tom
Old 06-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

I have the new AFR 195s, and I run a big block oil pump. I think I have the new improved drainback heads, I asked here when I got them. But I always have plenty of oil on top of the heads, too much I think. It will leak at the corners eventually. Cranking down the valve cover bolts works only once or twice, then it's buy new gaskets. Stained my jet hot headers. I'd like to see the machining done to your heads.
Bee Jay
Old 06-22-2009, 07:40 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
I have the new AFR 195s, and I run a big block oil pump. I think I have the new improved drainback heads, I asked here when I got them. But I always have plenty of oil on top of the heads, too much I think. It will leak at the corners eventually. Cranking down the valve cover bolts works only once or twice, then it's buy new gaskets. Stained my jet hot headers. I'd like to see the machining done to your heads.
Bee Jay
Exactly, I have the new 227cc Eliminators, so new I had to wait 4 months for them. I wonder if this problem has to do with the intake or exhaust runners and getting the flow they do out of these heads, there's always a compromise

Yes I am running a functional PCV system

Get notified of new replies

To AFR heads still have oil return problem

Quick Reply: AFR heads still have oil return problem