C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto to Manual for 81

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 05:15 PM
bowtie_fly
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Auto to Manual for 81

Hi Folks,

I'm a first time vette owner, bought an 81 that is solid, but wasn't mint. bought it for as much a project car as a fun driver.

Anyway I want to swap from my auto trans to a manual trans. I'm sure this topic has come up but I'm just wondering if anyone has done this? if so did you rounds up parts or buy a complete kit?

If I could just get some good advice on getting started it would be very helpful.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:23 PM
bt57
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I converted a 1980 and it was the best mod I had done, I purchased the parts kit from Vol. Vette, and rounded up a used bell, flywheel and trans. Easy to do other then changing the pedals out.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:24 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Quite a few of us have done it, and yes there are sources who've put together "kits" with the correct parts necessary for the conversion. As there are a number of choices, don't skip doing your homework to make sure you get the best box for your needs.

TSW
Old 06-17-2009, 06:33 PM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What direction are you wanting to go w/this?What I am asking is...are you wanting to do a factory style install,or a upgrade to a 5,or 6 speed?
The cheapest route would be to look around,and fine a Super T-10,or Muncie,and go from there.
I have about everything that you will need,and what I don't have,I am a dealer for,and can help you get the rest the parts discounted.
I may be getting a good used muncie here local,and will know here in the next couple days.I have good flywheels,pressure plates,the pedal,yokes,Z-bars,etc.
PM me w/the direction that you are wanting to go,if you are interested,and will get you taken care of,or atleast,help you in the right direction.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:50 AM
bowtie_fly
Advanced

I'm definitely thinking an upgrade, I guess I had a 5 speed in mind, but a 6 would be ok as well. I really want something that has great low end, but at the same time doesn't give up all if the top speed. I'm open to changing the rear if I have to as well. I was also thinking a hydro clutch, seems like it would simplify the install with not requiring the linkage, and give a little better drive at the same time.

I guess part of what I'm looking for is a recommendation on what I should (or shouldn't) do. What are the real pros and cons of a hyro clutch, I would think it could be a little more "snappy" with a linkage clutch, but maybe not. For the conversion kit it seems like there are two approaches, round up the parts from factory manuals, and piece it into my car, or by an aftermarket complete kit that has all of the pieces in it, with or without the trans. What are pros and cons of a factory vs aftermarket trans?

Is fair to say the first thing I should do is pick out the trans I want and go from there?

Anyway, I'm looking for some of the pros and cons of each. I should also mention that I'm not overly patient so if I went the round it up direction and got the thing torn down to find I need "this other piece" that would drive me insane.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2009, 12:22 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Based on the last statement you made, I think I'd just do a complete kit from one of the vendors here, and if it were me I wouldn't consider anything but at least a 5 spd, (something with overdrive). That being said, money surely has to factor in somewhere and in my case, as much as I'd love to swap my 4 spd for a 5 spd, I just dont have the $$$ to do it.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:51 PM
pbcanney
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did this 2 years ago to my '81

If you want to keep it all Corvette your biggest pitfall will be the stock shifter mounting bracket that mounts to your trans x-member

this is what the '81 trans member looks like

and this is the 2 year only bracket (upright)

this was to use the stock '79 shifter with the '79 T-10 I installed.

best thing I ever did to the car though. WELL worth the effort

<edit> oh.. forgot to mention, the hole IS in your '81 for the manual clutch rod. You just need to find it (under the dash inside) and then drill through the fiberglass skin in the engine compartment.

There is also a mounting hole for the Z-bar on the frame for the bolt on bracket.

Aside from the trans, bell housing and shifter I got ALL the other parts I needed from Corvette Central. All told in the end it ran me around $1200

Last edited by pbcanney; 06-18-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:28 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Your current diff ratio, engine output and operating range are vital bits of info you need to share...
Old 06-18-2009, 08:13 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

I would go with a kit if it was me but check out Cali 81 thread. you will see what he has run into. I don't think he's quite done. If you are going to do it yourself get an assembly manual.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:23 PM
bowtie_fly
Advanced

TheSkunkWorks - I am not sure of the engine and gear detail. By inspection I assume that the gear is stock, the engine apperas stock, out side of a headers, new ignition, intake and carb. the intake and carb are both elebrock, but I'm not sure what size. I would guess the HP around 220 or so at best. It will be more at some point but got to do the trans first as I just have to shift this beast.

I priced out a kit from keisler, it was cheaper then I thought it would be based on their site, but still little more then I wanted to spend. I like the 1200.00 number, I've got about 2K to spend for everything.

I guess another question might be what would the auto be worth once out (about 75K on it)?

I need to spend some time looking in to the vol kit and others as I think its going to be my most headache free.

spedaledon - can you put a like into the Cali 81 thread? I can't find it.

Any thoughts on hydro vs linked clutch?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Mad Vette
Pro

I do have the Keisler set up but the price is not for the faint of heart. A conversion you could do in your price range is the T5 from a mustang, other forum members have done it successfully I would have but it would not handle my horsepower.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:40 PM
bowtie_fly
Advanced

is the keisler worth the money? which version did you go with? If it's worht the extra cash I could spring for it in a couple months.

Also did you go with the linkage or a hydraulic clutch?
Old 06-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Mad Vette
Pro

I have the TKO 500 but the car is still being restored so I can't verify that it's "worth the money" but a bunch of forum members have used the same set up and you hear nothing but raves. A cheaper alliterative for you just might be the T5, don't let the mustang thing turn you off. If you have a lower hp 81 motor it might work for you. I almost bought a set up from a forum member who might still have it. He had the hyd throw out bearing set up too.

Last edited by Mad Vette; 06-18-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:38 AM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

I found Cali 81 thread and TTT. You'll see it on this page
Old 06-19-2009, 09:13 AM
KeislerSales
Racer

Default Keisler T45RS candidate

You can approach this swap from a number of angles. My opinion is to not waste your money putting in a 4 speed. Sure, it will get you rowing the gears on your own and make the car lots more fun....until you want to drive it on a road trip.

We here this story frequently. Guys want to save some cash (a great idea) and they put in a 4 speed. Its all grins for a while until the new wears off and they realize they`re turning 3k rpms or more on the highway.

Rear axle ratio will be very important to know before you start. You probably have a 2.87 gear which may not work well with a .6x overdrive depending on your motor. So, a gear change may be on order as well which will really help wake up your `81 anyway.

I would go with a 5 speed overdrive from the start, you will save money and hassle in the end by skipping the 4 speed stage. Bottom line? Take your time and do your research, there`s plenty of advice to be had on here.

Our new T45RS 5 speed overdrive is perfect for your swap. Keep an eye out for pics and driving videos of this trans soon!
Old 06-19-2009, 01:06 PM
bowtie_fly
Advanced

Hi K-Jeff,

Yeah I got a quote from you guys on the T45RS, the more I'm looking around the better its looking. Any idea what the hyro kit will add / remove from that quote? Whats the difference between that and a TKO line?

I'm sure I'll be doing something with the rear end at some point, so I would rather get the right trans now with the future changes in mind, as there's nothing off limits on this thing. Is there a reccommened gear? Right now it doesn't turn a ton of HP, but there's a chance next year it will get all crazy under the hood.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:32 AM
0GENE-KEISLER SALES
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtie_fly
Hi K-Jeff,

Yeah I got a quote from you guys on the T45RS, the more I'm looking around the better its looking. Any idea what the hyro kit will add / remove from that quote? Whats the difference between that and a TKO line?

I'm sure I'll be doing something with the rear end at some point, so I would rather get the right trans now with the future changes in mind, as there's nothing off limits on this thing. Is there a reccommened gear? Right now it doesn't turn a ton of HP, but there's a chance next year it will get all crazy under the hood.
It adds $353 to the Quote.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto to Manual for 81

Quick Reply: Auto to Manual for 81