C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'81 Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:22 AM
mgoblue1086
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '81 Suggestions

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been able to use a lot of the knowledge on this forum to fix most problems my self, but now I need some advice. I have an '81 (auto) that is completely stock except for Hooker headers and side pipes and I have taken off all the smog equipment. The engine has about 117k miles but it was rebuilt at 100k and is in excellent shape. I love the performance I got when I put on the headers and side pipes, but I need a little more. I am stuck between buying a new crate motor (ZZ4 or ZZ383) or getting a top-end power package by either Edelbrock (part #2908) or by Trick Flow (part #TFS-K314-420-395) to upgrade the current block. I will also be upgrading to either a 200R4 or 700R4 tranny to go along with the added power. I've never really been an "engine guy," so any advice on this or suggestions for anything I haven't already considered would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys in advance, Aaron.

Last edited by mgoblue1086; 06-08-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:27 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

I always felt the best mod that I ever did on my 81 was to replace the tranny with a 200 4R. The slightly lower first gear improved the pickup and the overdrive greatly improved the drivability.

my .02
Old 06-08-2009, 02:31 PM
jbowles49
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you just rebuilt your engine prehaps you might consider putting together your own top end package using AFR heads. Check their website
Forum members report very favorably on their products and they are virtually the same price as other heads.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:07 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

With a solid short-block, I'd put my money into a smart top, including a cam change. Key point is how much information you have regarding the short block rebuild - do you have piston P/Ns, installed deck height, deck roughness, etc.? It's not quite as simple as just bolting stuff on, but with a little information you can really wake up that block - and for a pretty reasonable cost.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:04 AM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you already switched to the manual carb, such as the '80 model? The '81 carb is tied to the CCC which will control the carb to some extent so if you go off the reservation you will need a new carb, distrib and a few other things. Remember the 81 HEI unit does not have vacuum or mech advance. But at least they are cheap now <$75. There aren't too many things you can change without other mods to go with it.

The crate engine is not a bad choice here because you don't need to worry about trying to sort out a bunch of parts and worry about interoperability. Just drop it in and hook it up.....not that simple but you get the idea. With the crate engine you get a warranty (we hope at least).

Whatever your budget is, double that to account for all the "while I'm in there work".

Get notified of new replies

To '81 Suggestions

Quick Reply: '81 Suggestions