C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1977 Column Wiper Washer switch is not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:32 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1977 Column Wiper Washer switch is not working

Hi,

My wiper switch & flasher on the column of my 77 is working. The washer is not. When I try to push in the lever it feels like it has never moved. Can I fix this or do I have to replace the switch?
How do I replace the switch that is built into the steering column?

Thanks
Jack
Old 05-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Do you have a standard (non-adjustable) steering column or a T&T?

I searched all of my supplier catalogues. The only place that I found a 1977 T&T switch was Corvette Central:
Wiper Switch w/T&T in Steering Column 1977 593037 $127.95 in the Corvette Central catalogue.

It was in the "Switches" section and was only listed for the T&T. That switch may be available elsewhere, but I sure haven't been able to find it.

I did find a 1977 standard steering column switch listed:
Dr Rebuild 77 Wiper Switch except T&T NOS 1014672 $125.
Again, this was the only place that I could find the 1977 standard column switch listed.

You should be able to replace the switch with the column still in the car. You will need to fish the turnsignal switch wires up through the column but is shouldn't be a real difficult job.

There should be sufficient information to help you replace the switch in my papers that are posted at www.corvettefaq.com

Click on Jim Shea's Steering Papers
Click on Corvette Steering Papers
Scroll down to the either of the appropriate Steering Column Sections

Std Column 69-79 Disassembly & Repair Paper #1
Std Column 69-79 Disassembly & Repair Pic #1

Tilt & Telescoping Column 69-82 Disassembly & Repair Paper #1
Tilt & Telescoping Column 69-82 Disassembly & Repair Pic #1

If you need to drop the column you will need to download Paper #2 and Pic #2 for the above column.

Jim

You
Old 05-30-2009, 11:03 AM
funk6294
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 77 and just got done tearing all of that appart and reassembling. Thanks to everyone that found the switch because I looked for one thinking about replacing it and could not find one ANYWHERE!!!. To access the switch you have to take off the steering wheel, star plate, turn signal switch, key cylinder, and upper housing cover. All in itself not that bad of a job, the only major PITA is re-installing the starplate. However before deciding to replace the switch let me point out a few things that may save you from having to do that. The washer switch is very simple and consists of two open contacts on the side opposite the switch. When the stick is pushed in it simply pushes the two contacts together. Not much there to fail. From your descriptions it sounds like the stick does not want to go in. This may be due to dried out grease from the factory clogging things up (my column was full of this stuff). The stick comes out by rotating it up to the high speed wiper position and giving it a little tug. Once the stick is out you can test the washer switch by inserting a small screw driver where the stick used to go and pushing in. If the switch seems fine then clean and regrease the stick and see if that helps.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The 77 wiper switch is one year only. Maybe it's pushed in & needs to be pulled out. Also look at where the lever goes in ...

I moved my wiper switch back to the dash.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:40 AM
funk6294
Intermediate

Could be, but if it was pushed in the washer motor would stay on and the wipers would not turn off.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:19 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

The wipers are working but there is no play for the arm to go in to make the washer work.

Jack
Old 05-30-2009, 09:50 PM
funk6294
Intermediate

Jack, if you turn the wipers on can you then push the washer button?? The reason I ask is that the stick has two small pins on it. The inside pin turns the wipers on and off and the out side pin works in conjuntion with a ramp on the switch to turn the wipers on when pushing the stick for washer function. I am thinking that that it maybe hanging on that ramp.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:51 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
Do you have a standard (non-adjustable) steering column or a T&T?

I searched all of my supplier catalogues. The only place that I found a 1977 T&T switch was Corvette Central:
Wiper Switch w/T&T in Steering Column 1977 593037 $127.95 in the Corvette Central catalogue.

It was in the "Switches" section and was only listed for the T&T. That switch may be available elsewhere, but I sure haven't been able to find it.

I did find a 1977 standard steering column switch listed:
Dr Rebuild 77 Wiper Switch except T&T NOS 1014672 $125.
Again, this was the only place that I could find the 1977 standard column switch listed.

You should be able to replace the switch with the column still in the car. You will need to fish the turnsignal switch wires up through the column but is shouldn't be a real difficult job.

There should be sufficient information to help you replace the switch in my papers that are posted at www.corvettefaq.com

Click on Jim Shea's Steering Papers
Click on Corvette Steering Papers
Scroll down to the either of the appropriate Steering Column Sections

Std Column 69-79 Disassembly & Repair Paper #1
Std Column 69-79 Disassembly & Repair Pic #1

Tilt & Telescoping Column 69-82 Disassembly & Repair Paper #1
Tilt & Telescoping Column 69-82 Disassembly & Repair Pic #1

If you need to drop the column you will need to download Paper #2 and Pic #2 for the above column.

Jim

You

Jim,

Thanks for answering me. I cannot open up any of your postings on your page, maybe you have them in PC format as I have an Apple.

Thanks
jack
Old 05-31-2009, 09:54 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by funk6294
Jack, if you turn the wipers on can you then push the washer button?? The reason I ask is that the stick has two small pins on it. The inside pin turns the wipers on and off and the out side pin works in conjuntion with a ramp on the switch to turn the wipers on when pushing the stick for washer function. I am thinking that that it maybe hanging on that ramp.
Hi,

I tried that today and the stick came out in my hand. The pin on top and bottom are there, the wipers work, the brights work and I was able to pull the lever out a bit like there is room for a switch but there is no spring action. Then it got stuck and I couldn't get the wipers to turn off as the pins kept on turning around inside the column.
I pulled the car over and pulled out the arm and got it set in.

Thanks
Jack
Old 05-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I would think that you can go to google and download adobe pdf reader. Those papers are available in word.doc as well as pdf format.
Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of detail on the 1977 wiper/washer switch.
Jim
Old 05-31-2009, 10:42 PM
funk6294
Intermediate

Unfortunately Jack from the sounds of your description you are going to have to pull the column apart and pull the switch out for further inspection/replacement. Once you have it out you will be able to spot any problems with the switch pretty easily.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:48 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
I would think that you can go to google and download adobe pdf reader. Those papers are available in word.doc as well as pdf format.
Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of detail on the 1977 wiper/washer switch.
Jim

Jim,

Believe it or not-there are some PDF files that only a PC can open. No matter what Mac version of Adobe reader that you have it still will not work.
I received 2 Jaguar discs from Jaguar Heritage in London and neither will work on my Mac. I called them and they told me that it is only PC Adobe compatible.

Thanks
Jack
Old 06-09-2009, 10:33 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ganey
The 77 wiper switch is one year only. Maybe it's pushed in & needs to be pulled out. Also look at where the lever goes in ...

I moved my wiper switch back to the dash.
I am going to jump my washer to see if it works. if it does I might repair in time and do a temporary micro switch jump button, not permanently attached sitting in my ash tray for the times that I need it.
I need the time and money of other things that are an everyday necessity like tyres.

Thanks
Jack

Get notified of new replies

To 1977 Column Wiper Washer switch is not working

Quick Reply: 1977 Column Wiper Washer switch is not working