C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to choose a Paint Shop

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:36 AM
2K-C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to choose a Paint Shop

I have had some really BAD paint jobs in my life, even after looking at other cars that were nice.

I am getting ready to have my 69 painted; but do not know where to take it; or how to choose a good painter.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Can plastic be media blasted to remove paint?

2. Can fiber glass be media blasted to remove paint?

3. Is a Paint Oven important?

4. Would it be smart to create a Purchase Order with my expectations (no overspray, no runs, no orange peel, etc.....)

TIA
Old 05-27-2009, 01:15 AM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Get with the Vettes guys in your locale or maybe on this site and find out who's doing good work.

Also, when you narrow down your options make sure your Vette will be spending the nights indoors at whatever shop you choose.

Good luck!
Old 05-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 2,
I started by looking at lots of cars at shows and talking to the owners about who did their paint
I then started going to those paint shops to talk to the owners and to see what they were doing. I took enough time to be able to go to shops over a period of months to see if cars were actually being worked on and finished.
I think you need to talk to the painters about your questions... you want them to use the materials and methods they're most comfortable with and have had the most success with in preparing and painting your car.
You Do need to be VERY EXPLICIT about what your expectations for your car are. You want to make sure your expectations are well with in their normal work.
Here's a picture of my 71... this was done by a one man operation. He let me help....I learned a whole lot.... but know nothing compared to what he knows and what his abilities are.
Regards,
Alan

Old 05-27-2009, 05:19 PM
timgman
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default avoid paint jail..

Get a contracted time frame. Don't pay 100% up front.
Make certain that there aren't several dust covered cars in line before yours... we call that paint-jail....
Old 05-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with the above statements, and i would like to add.

Expect your to be away from your vehicle from 3-6 months. Insurance jobs are their bread and butter.

Shop, shop, and shop around, as you know some shops will brand vehicles and when they see a Corvette cha-ching!!!!

Choose a shop that will allow you to check on the progress of the vehicle and ask questions about what is being done to your vehicle.

You can find a paint shop who will do a decent paint job under 5k.

What type of paint job you are looking for, a trailer queen, daily driver job, etc?

As for whether can plastic and fiberglass can be media blasted... it can, but some shops may not use that technique nor it may not be the best way to remove paint.

Hope this helps as well.

Last edited by Oldguard 7; 05-27-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:06 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Sorry but I have to disagree, I have looked and I know most of the Auto-mobile communtiy from past auto experiences. you will not find anyone willing to do all the prep work and completely repaint your Vette for 4k ... period,
I just went thru pricing paint jobs, everywhere from 4k-18k
if you want a quality job your looking at 10k these days.
unless you do it your self, and that is a major task.
think about how many hours are required to properly prep a car and paint it,
about 100 hours times say $70 @hour =7k not counting materials !
paint is about $350 a gallon !

you want show quality double the hours atleast ! been there done that.

The painter will spec. how he wishes the car prepped/stripped.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:16 PM
timgman
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69Vett
Sorry but I have to disagree, I have looked and I know most of the Auto-mobile communtiy from past auto experiences. you will not find anyone willing to do all the prep work and completely repaint your Vette for 4k ... period,

Agreed. Unless you have an in or are helping, a good paint job seems to go for 6k plus...
Old 05-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Bowerss2
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K-C5

I have a couple of questions:

1. Can plastic be media blasted to remove paint?

2. Can fiber glass be media blasted to remove paint?

3. Is a Paint Oven important?

4. Would it be smart to create a Purchase Order with my expectations (no overspray, no runs, no orange peel, etc.....)

TIA
1) sort of (see below)

2)yes, if the guy has skills
(media blasting on soft substrates has a pucker factor of about 12 for anyone who has never done it before. Stop paying attention for a second, and you are in trouble. A Soda Blaster is your best bet, even still you can end up with a moonscape fiberglass which will require hours of tedious prep work to set straight. And the media gets everywhere, so forgetaboutit if you have an interior in already. Frankly i only recommend media blasting if the body is off.)

3) yes a paint oven is very important, when we are painting aircraft, it helps reduce drying time dramatically, and a good filtration and air circulation system is required, to avoid dust)

4) it is a very smart idea to set up a purchase order with pre-agreed upon expectations of the paint job.

good luck, and stay clear of paint purgatory
Old 05-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Maybe in your state. I did push it up to 5k though. I was quoted a price based on a shop in my area that was recommended by several vette owners in my area. Following examination of my vehicle, discussion af the materials he uses, and paint, the owner quoted a price of $4,500 no more. Half after repair and prep and the other half after final paint. Two months turn around time. They are out there you just have to look for them. Kudos for those who have 12k+ to spend on paint.

Last edited by Oldguard 7; 05-27-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

If this guy lives in Las Vegas, a paint oven isn't as important in your neck of the woods as it is in mine (as long as it's summer time!) I would talk with some of the guys in Hot Nevada Vettes (join their club!) to see who they like. Look them up in the Pacific Region and ask about paint in that section of the forum.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:20 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

There's a guy up here that charges more if you strip it yourself
Old 05-27-2009, 08:20 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

you base/changed your cost on 1 estimate ? and think that is the average price?
I spent the last 9 months, and more than 20 estimates,
looking for a reasonable quote for a quality paint job.
When painting some one is gonna put the hours in to acheive a qualtiy job, or NOT.

I just painted my car, an oven only speeds up the drying process,
it is not required to get a quality paint job.

You do the math how many hours required to paint a good paint/prep ?
(heres a hint about 100 hours ) Good Luck... 69VETT
Old 05-27-2009, 08:39 PM
funk6294
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed... I am interested in this as well. I live in LV and will need to get my car painted in the future. When I moved out to the west coast I lost my my painter (pops) and now I will have to see about having someone else do it. As for media blasting I would be carfull as you could wind up with a wavy body after words especially if the person doing it does not know what he/she is doing.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:46 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi 2,
I started by looking at lots of cars at shows and talking to the owners about who did their paint
I then started going to those paint shops to talk to the owners and to see what they were doing. I took enough time to be able to go to shops over a period of months to see if cars were actually being worked on and finished.
I think you need to talk to the painters about your questions... you want them to use the materials and methods they're most comfortable with and have had the most success with in preparing and painting your car.
You Do need to be VERY EXPLICIT about what your expectations for your car are. You want to make sure your expectations are well with in their normal work.
Here's a picture of my 71... this was done by a one man operation. He let me help....I learned a whole lot.... but know nothing compared to what he knows and what his abilities are.
Regards,
Alan
The key word here is EXPLICIT.
I'll also add the cheapest price is not by any stretch the best price.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:07 AM
2K-C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have 6 Corvette Clubs in So. Nevada so I have several suspects (possible paint shops).

The problem is too much conflicting input about each shop. So, I am going to have to try and make an educated selection.

Since Corvettes are fiber glass are there any issues or any highly desirable paint types that I should look for.

I know in the past lacquer was common. Also, Polyurethane has been used. What type of paint is on the new Corvettes?

I am thinking of a Blue Metalic Pearl for my car.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:54 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

spend some time and go to each shop, try and get a quote, but more importantly,
reveiw the place and people working there, then consider their current examples of work,
Is it at the level of quality you are seeking ? then consider the prices.
then make a desicion. good Luck 69VETT

The body shop you select will direct you on which brands they prefer to work with.

Last edited by 69Vett; 05-28-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I talked with a lot of people in finding my painter, I was refeered to him by a fellow club member. Kenny @ K&J Autobody, Oakland, CA finished the Vette in 40 days (color sanded and AWESOME!) and I am happy with the results (it was close to ready for paint when I dropped it off to him but, some of the work needed attention.) The car was "bare" no bumpers, trim or other items for him to deal with, I reassembled the Vette myself which always makes the painter happy (no risk of having to do a re-paint.) Here are the results on Fremont Street in Vegas a few weeks ago (1st place in class at WSCC convention, 2 other guys with very nice cars unhappy! I showed up.)

Old 05-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

you base/changed your cost on 1 estimate ? and think that is the average price?
I spent the last 9 months, and more than 20 estimates,
looking for a reasonable quote for a quality paint job.
When painting some one is gonna put the hours in to acheive a qualtiy job, or NOT.

I just painted my car, an oven only speeds up the drying process,
it is not required to get a quality paint job.

You do the math how many hours required to paint a good paint/prep ?
(heres a hint about 100 hours ) Good Luck... 69VETT
This gentleman has been doing this over 30 years and i have seen his work. Yes I am aware it takes a lot a work to prep and repair a fiberglass vehicle. Yes I can continue to go to shops all over the country for estimates. You can get a quality paint job for 5k, you just got to look. Personally I use my vehicle as a driver when I need it so I'm not looking for a show/trailer queen paint job. After it is all said and done, If you spent 15k for paint on a car, it still is subject to an accident and/or vandalism and should that happen, the thought of you spending 15k for a paint job will definitely cross your mind. (I spent 15k for a paint job, damn!) If you got the money, go for it! I don't.

Last edited by Oldguard 7; 05-28-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:34 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Professional Opinion. I do just what you want for a living. I restore Corvettes and all of the advice given is correct. The price will vary from shop to shop. Remember also that you are not just paying for a paint job but the hours and hours of prep and hidden body work. That is key to a great paint job.
I chemically strip all of my cars in shop and have used the media blasting and sode blasting. IF whoever is running the blast equipment isn't really good at doing it, they can cause for many waves, ripples and other distortions what were caused by these types of stripping. That is why I use chemcal. But to each his/her own.
As hot as you are out there in Las Vegas, don't worry about an oven to cure the paint. They are mainly used for production body shops dealing in high volume and need fast turn around during the painting process. A good painter will know what grade of reducer/thinner and catalyst to use for the current air temperatures, and if they know their paint system well, it is not a concern. It is all adjustable by the mixture the painter chooses.
BE very CLEAR on your desires on how you want you paint job to look. And at the slightest sign of hesitation from the owner/painter......RUN..AWAY..FAST!!! I give my customers a detailed written description of all issues discussed and even tape it for future reference. So the "story" doesn't change from the beginning to the end of the job. You will really need to search out a shop that "has it going on" . Any idiot can make the top of the hood look great, it is in the finer details that really defines a great paint job. Many will agree.
Don't be held to your area. You may have to travel to get the job you want. Every bodyman/painter has his/her own tricks that makes them unique. It is these tricks that you are often times paying for to ensure a great job. Improvements from the factory design flaws that some shops do or do not perform is often times a deciding factor. And like what was mentioned, go to shows and ask around and REALLY look at the car VERY carefully. If you like what you see then make your choice from the end result. I get cars as far away as Atlanta and Memphis. I often wonder why, but like they say, they can't find anybody to give them what they want. GOOD LUCK and take your time because a great paint job should out live you if you maintain it correctly and IF it is performed correctly. And with the current high tech basecoat/clearcoat premier systems out there, you will be paying $$$ for good paint to withstand the Vegas enviroment.
Last but not least, Make sure that your car is water tight before painting. If you have any major cowl leaks and birdcage windshield frame damage, you will need to get that repaired first. Because you would hate to hear that the car needs to be de-sonstructed to repair these issues AFTER you just got it painted. I have seen that happen many times when people took there car to someone who didn't know the problem areas and painted it anyway for the $$$. MAke sure you specify, "reasonably water tight" or "very water tight" or "no water leaks" so you don't have Lake Mead in the floorboards after washing it. GMC "DUB"

Get notified of new replies

To How to choose a Paint Shop

Quick Reply: How to choose a Paint Shop