C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 Power door locks installation steps.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:59 PM
acburd01
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 Power door locks installation steps.

Hello Everyone,
I thought that I would post the steps I went through and the materials needed to install power door locks for a 1979. My 79 Vette came with power windows but not power door locks. I searched through the forum and found many cases were people had converted to power door locks but I could not find a concise list of what is needed. So here is what I came up with:

1. Dash wiring harness that supports power door locks and windows. (Zip...M&H Electric)
2. Door wiring harnesses that support power door locks and windows. These come with the pigtails already attached to the harness. (Zip...M&H Electric)
3. Two door lock actuators (Mid America Motorworks, part 602109)
4. Two door lock actuator mounting plates (Corvette America, Part 39299)
5. L & R actuator control rods (Davies Corvette, www.corvetteparts.com, Parts 380011, 380012)
6. Actuator control rod retainers 3/16" (Davies Corvette, part 380013)
7. Two power door lock switches (Mid America Motorworks, part 612262)

Installation tips:
Installation (apart from the dash harness) is fairly easy. Of note, the driver's door contains an additional anti-theft wiring harness that does not need to be removed. It connects the key lock of the door to the four wire plug of the dash harness. I found it easy to open the door as wide as it goes and then pop out the rubber wiring conduit for ease of wiring removal. Mounting the actuators is straight forward given that the holes for mounting should already be in the internal metal door frame and the lock joint within the door (which is hard to see without a mirror) has a slot for the actuator control rod. The lock switches themselves should fit within the pre-designated holes or guides in the door panel. You will have to cut the panels and the switches will take a little force to get them to click into place where the retainers of the switches latch to the back of the panel. Lube metal joints of the door and window internals while you are at it.

Cheers.

Andrew

Quick Reply: 79 Power door locks installation steps.