C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inspection Warning!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:04 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 390 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
Look, the ~5" drums are not enough to hold any car on any significant slope,...period.....

to those that actually work, fine, have fun....

out of some 2 dzn sharks/m-y's only the drum brake ones hold, disc brake with small drum do no hold....

and to use any SS shoes is a huge mistake....

have fun trying to fix them.....

So that I have made the change from Auto to a Clutch and live in Seattle with Hills its time for a working Parking Brake. I have the Stainless Parts inside. Why would they make a diffrence in getting them to work? Do they have poor Lineings?
Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
So that I have made the change from Auto to a Clutch and live in Seattle with Hills its time for a working Parking Brake. I have the Stainless Parts inside. Why would they make a diffrence in getting them to work? Do they have poor Lineings?
There's no difference. I have the stainless parts in mine. They work fine. Will hold the car on any hill, and that's all it's intended to do.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:56 AM
not a '76
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daily drivers are RWD volvos, they also have the drum in disk and its a constant headache.

I got failed for e-brake by a young rude punk so I made it my job to cause some pain back to that inspection station and the RMV.

I brought with me factory service manuals that identify the inspection and adjustment procedures of the e-brake. Showed that the vehicle was within those specifications and wasted hours of everyones time.

In the end the state of massachusetts felt they superceded the original design specifications of the vehicle, but provided no course of action.

I ended up paying the extra $30 to have a different inspection station pass the car.

So now I tell any inspection station the story of the last place that failed me for e-brake. (with a smile on my face) No problems since.

ugh... see what the original specifications were for the car, bring them with you, and good luck.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:47 AM
69MA
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine working when i bought the car six or seven years ago. Massachusetts has a safty inspection for antique cars which i don't have a problem with. Funny story, feeling confident in getting everything working to pass the inspection I go and he is checking lights,tires, balljoints... then he says wipers yea i got those and they work, then he says windshield washer! (part of the inspection). I kind of look at him with this blank steer on my face and tell hm i'm luckey i got the wipers to work. So he says never mind i'm sure you don't drive it in the winter and he passed me. So does anyone have their washers working mine still don't.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:52 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

After my car sat for 14 years, all I had to do was replace the washer pump and they worked. There was still washer fluid in the resevoir after all that time.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:27 PM
69patron
Cruising

You could always move to Wisconsin and you won't have to worry about any of that annual inspection stuff!

(I guess the down fall is you can only ride one month out of the year LOL-)
Old 06-09-2009, 06:00 PM
21boy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The emergency brake on the 74' has never been messed with and works fine. All original and still stops car.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:57 PM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

the parking brake in my 81 has recently been rebuilt with all new compnentes and it still does not work.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:08 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by larryg3
the parking brake in my 81 has recently been rebuilt with all new compnentes and it still does not work.
Then something isn't assembled or adjusted correctly.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:40 AM
tommyleea
Racer

Originally Posted by straub18045
it is a parking brake-and mine does not hold to good either, with a auto trans. no need for it
Actually, the parking brake will take the strain off your A/T, when parked on a slope; if it is working.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:28 PM
kenko74
Racer

Default Bushing

Originally Posted by larryg3
There's a steel bushing that goes in the middle of the white nylon pulley. If that bushing is worn or missing, it it almost impossible to adjust the parking brake tensioner cable enough to allow the parking brake to work properly.

Last edited by kenko74; 06-11-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 06-11-2009, 12:49 PM
My70
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scris
Mine works well.

No need for inspection thou....... QQ Historic plates.
Quick question - I also have Historic plates (NY) - would the parking brake functionality also play a role?
Old 06-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Steve~74
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by My70
Quick question - I also have Historic plates (NY) - would the parking brake functionality also play a role?
Does NY require inspection with Historic Plates?? In NJ, we are exempt from inspection with historic QQ plates, therefor it doesn't matter if it works or not.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:36 PM
BHRIG
Racer

Default Inspection Warning

GUYS;

Let me summarize my original post..

It seems the NEW JERSEY Department of Motor Vehicles has decided
to start checking the operation of HAND BRAKES on CORVETTES....

This is something they have not done in the PAST.....

I know my vehicle has not had an operating hand brake because it is almost the LAST item I would need to operate.

Having an automatic transmission the need to use the hand brake is so remote that I have it at the bottom of my "TO DO" list.

We all have faced changes in the States we live in, as far as motor vehicle inspection....

This post turned out to be very enlightening and I was interested in the responses of all participants. Continue with the comments as they are about an issue we all can express an opinion about without anyone getting "hurt".
DRIVE WITH CARE(BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING)
Old 06-13-2009, 11:16 PM
ParrishP
3rd Gear

I am not sure if this will help, but I installed a new set of Parking Brake shoes on my '82 and it was troublesome to say the least. I don't know if I was doing it correctly but I followed the factory service manual by the letter, and it still was touch and go on setting them correctly. It was a balancing act between too tight and not working-but I did manage to pass inspection. I also had new rotors so everything should have been within tolorances.
Parrish
Old 06-13-2009, 11:49 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

no, it doesn't work. just a pile of rust back there.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:06 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts

I just got my inspection sticker on Thursday. My brake works.

There are a lot of things they are suppose to check but let slide.
One year on my DD, I failed because one of the door hinge pins on the drivers door was loose. I had to take it to a body shop to have the hinges replaced for reinspection.

Get notified of new replies

To Inspection Warning!!!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 11:39 AM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine works fine. I rebuilt the entire system...umm car but it holds just fine with the 4spd. Besides you always put it in gear when parking to ease the strain on the parking brake.

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Now with the QQ plates inspection is not done.
Amen to that!!!
Old 06-14-2009, 02:03 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My 68 Parking Brake in my 4 speed coupe works perfect
Kurt
Old 07-21-2009, 07:38 AM
bigjoepos
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey BHRIG,

Up here in North Jersey, I finally got to take a close look at this and my only issue with the emergency brake was adjustments. I have owned the car since 1990 and the previous owner must have had it all apart at some point. The shoes had plenty of meat and the adjustment wheels must have been replaced. None were frozen or rusted at all.

Turned out to be easier than I expected and it actually works surprisingly well when adjusted correctly. Passed NJ inspection now and good for another two years.

Quick Reply: Inspection Warning!!!!!