C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter or safety neutral switch???

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:24 AM
78vette78
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter or safety neutral switch???

i need more opinion before i change my starter. How will i now if my safety neutral switch needs to be replaced.

my car always starts first in the morning. it only wont start again after i drive the car.

i just want to make sure its not the safety neutral switch. Do u guys know how will i find out if my safety neutral switch is bad???????

thanks in advance.....
Old 05-21-2009, 01:56 AM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 78vette78

my car always starts first in the morning. it only wont start again after i drive the car.
Sounds like the problem the previous owner had with my white79.
I had the problem driving it home the 1000 miles after purchase. Couldn't even jump it. Hour later it started right up.
I simply disconnected the battery cables, made sure things were clean, and reconnected them. No problems in 5 years since.
Make sure your ground cable connection right below the battery box is clean and tight.
Replacing the starter may fix things simply because you're disconnecting and reconnecting the cables, not because you have a new starter.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:30 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,254 Likes on 972 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by KapsSA
Sounds like the problem the previous owner had with my white79.
I had the problem driving it home the 1000 miles after purchase. Couldn't even jump it. Hour later it started right up.
I simply disconnected the battery cables, made sure things were clean, and reconnected them. No problems in 5 years since.
Make sure your ground cable connection right below the battery box is clean and tight.
Replacing the starter may fix things simply because you're disconnecting and reconnecting the cables, not because you have a new starter.
Try all of the above and if your Vette still will not start when hot confirm that you have 12 volts at the "S" terminal at the starter ( the purple wire closest to the block ) if you have 12 volts there, with the key on start, than you need a new solenoid. PG.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:34 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

The only way to know for sure that the neutral start switch is operating correctly is to 'dig' down to it and check for continuity when moving the shifter through the ranges (engine OFF). If working properly, it should make connection anywhere in the neutral range and in Park...but should not show continuity in any other range. The NSS and the starter solenoid are your most likely 'culprits'...but a bad wiring connection or a starter with worn-out brushes could also be the problem.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:42 AM
08vycpe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a '69 El Dorado that did the same thing. Turns out the carb was bad causing raw gas to enter the cylinders and hydrolock when hot and couldn't turn over. When the engine cooled down and the gas evaporated the car would start right up.

Do all the others have suggested and take the starter down to Autozone and have them check it out for you.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:16 PM
C3Rocket
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had this problem, too. From what I have been told, it is a common problem...it is the starter getting over-heated next to the exhaust manifold (or header). You have to wait until it cools enough before it will start again. Solution...from what I am told, a new starter will help if you are still running an older or original starter...and/or installing a thermal cover around the starter to protect it from the heat. I, myself, plan on doing both...getting a new starter and then wrapping it in the thermal cover.

hope this helps...
Old 05-21-2009, 02:30 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by petes74ttop
Try all of the above and if your Vette still will not start when hot confirm that you have 12 volts at the "S" terminal at the starter ( the purple wire closest to the block ) if you have 12 volts there, with the key on start, than you need a new solenoid. PG.

Run a temporary setup like this drawing and the next time the car wont start watch the light-if it lights then like Pete says replace the solenoid-if the light doesnt light then you can look at the neutral safety switch,and other PURPLE wire connections.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:45 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Excellent idea! If the bulb lights, you know that the solenoid is getting the 12vdc signal to it. If the starter doesn't turn over, it would have to be the starter solenoid (or, less likely, the starter and/or cables).
Old 05-21-2009, 07:00 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

a sheild is better than a wrap,
the sheild allows airflow, the wrap also holds the heat in a starter.
You never wrap an electric motor/starter.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter or safety neutral switch???

Quick Reply: Starter or safety neutral switch???