C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Altering battery/storage bins

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:36 PM
ENCHANTMENT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Altering battery/storage bins

Hi all,

Anyone trimmed the bins for clearance?

I need to trim each side to gain clearance for a rear coil-over installation. Just a notch is needed approx. 1" deep and has a dia. of 3 5/8” I am torn between using an aluminum tube of the appropriate diameter with flanges on all 4 edges to fasten in to the bin. The other option is to lay up a fiberglass tube, trim to the size I need and then glass it in. The storage bin is glass but the battery compartment appears to be plastic. This seems to make the first option seem more viable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ken
Old 05-20-2009, 10:20 PM
ENCHANTMENT
Instructor

Anyone?
Old 05-21-2009, 08:23 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

how about cutting a length of pvc pipe and glassing it in position, or using it as a form? will that give you enough room for the battery?
Old 05-21-2009, 09:36 AM
gatorbcn
Racer

There was an article in Car Craft or Popular Hot Rodding (I think) about 4 -5 months back about a hot-rodded C3 where they cut the battery box and glassed it back in to fit the coil-overs. You shouldn't need to do it though if you can make your own bottom brackets and get them welded to the T/As. My QA1s are a tight fit, but the guy who did my conversion was able to get them to fit without any fiberglass mods. The mounting brackets were custom made and a lot of measuring and fitting was done.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:03 PM
ENCHANTMENT
Instructor

Hi,

The mounting bracket is not stock since the trailing arms have been eliminated for dual tube trailing links. Life is never easy. I am hoping that there will still be enough room for a battery. The plan is to notch away for clearance and then determine if the battery needs a new location or will still fit. The method for enclosing the bins is also undecided but sheet metal seems to be the easiest and most flexible in this particular case.

Thanks1

Get notified of new replies

To Altering battery/storage bins

Quick Reply: Altering battery/storage bins