C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

URGENT HELP: problem installing distributor

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 02:05 AM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default URGENT HELP: problem installing distributor

I have a 1970 vette, small block, auto.

I need help. I have spent days trying to re-install the distributor.

I will try to explain as best as I can but I am in such a state that it is difficult to think straight!

It seems the distributor housing will not align properly into the engine block. I put it in, and it doesn't just 'drop' in like everyone says. I can't quite for the life of me think how the housing could actually be bent, or what could be hitting.
Its definitely not the oil pump shaft as it seems to line up perfectly.

I marked everything before I took it out. The distributor housing just refuses to go in straight.

Any suggestions? Would appreciate any help you may have.

I need valium!
Old 05-01-2009, 04:51 AM
Bob Walker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How far down does it go? i.e. there is a round bit at the bottom of the outside housing that, when the distributor is in place, will meet up with the manifold (with gasket in place of course). How far up from the manifold is that round bit when you try to install the distributor?
Old 05-01-2009, 08:30 AM
kywils
Advanced

I Just went through the same thing. This video helped us. It was really a matter of using the oil pump primer tool to turn the oil pump shaft just a small turn each try. Did this distributor come out of the engine or is it a new one? Good luck with it.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:47 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Take out #1 spark plug (left front), Put your finger in the hole and have someone "bump" the engine over until it blows your finger out. Align your dizzy with the tach cable, rotor, and vacuum can where you want them, set it in the hole. Hold a slight downward pressure on it and have someone bump it over again. It should drop down that last little bit and seat.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:27 PM
myk7
Pro

I've had luck with just walking the rotor cap around the dist. Once you get it to seat, in any position, slightly raise the dist, holding the rotor cap and move it to get past the next tooth and set it back down, seated. Usually it will move the pump shaft along with it enough to get you into the next tooth. Just walk it around until it's in the right spot.

worth a shot
Old 05-01-2009, 10:02 PM
oram
Intermediate

your problem is that your pump shaft is not aligned with the distributor ... use a flat screwdriver to move the pump shaft into the correct position..... the rotor well turn as the drive gear is engaged... hope this helps
Old 05-01-2009, 10:37 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The guys are all correct. every time I have installed a small block dist. it never falls in and contacts the intake. when you put the dist in, the cam gear should engage the dist. gear and prevent the rotor from turning by hand. the dist. normally will rest on top of the oil pump drive shaft. bump over the engine with starter and the dist. should drop to the intake. if not, repost and someone will help futher. mds...
Old 05-02-2009, 06:20 AM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bob Walker
How far down does it go? i.e. there is a round bit at the bottom of the outside housing that, when the distributor is in place, will meet up with the manifold (with gasket in place of course). How far up from the manifold is that round bit when you try to install the distributor?
this is the problem I'm having.

The round bit at the bottom stops about just a little less than an inch from the intake manifold with the gasket in place. And the issue I am having is, the distributor doesn't look level.

Thanks for posting the video. I have watched that 10 times , and I have rotated the oil pump drive shaft and it seems like its lined up perfectly.

It is like there is something else interfering with the distributor from dropping in that last inch and I really can't think what.
How could the distributor shaft possibly be bent!

Its the original distributor from the motor. I stupidly pulled it out to install one of those petronix ignitors instead of the original points.

No need to tell me if aint broke, don't fix it. Why why why didn't I listen to myself.

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate you all trying to help.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:54 AM
Fishndude
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were having that much trouble, I would pull the cap off and note the position of the rotor and then keep trying to drop the distributor in and moving it one position (tooth) at a time.. Dont worry about it being 180 degrees off, just see if it will go in at all so you can at least rule out if its the shaft lining up or not... Also check the vacuum can to make sure its not hanging up on somthing.

Last edited by Fishndude; 05-02-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:55 AM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Ok here is an image of where I am at with the distributor.

I really don't think it is the oil pump drive shaft.

Now that I think about it, when I first removed the distributor it was extremely difficult to get it out that first little bit. So whether there is some interference in the bores?

I appreciate any response. :o

Old 05-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Fishndude
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know if the shaft is pinned to the pump? Just wondering if maybe the shaft might have came off the pump when the dist was pulled.. Can you see down in the hole?
Old 05-02-2009, 07:49 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

thats pretty much exactly how far it sticks out when the pump shaft isnt lined up.

pull the distributer straight up and look at the tab that goes into the pump.
use a long blade flathead screwdriver to make the slot in the pump point in the same direction.

we are going to assume that your distributer has no obvious problems.
or you would have noticed already.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Bob Walker
Instructor

I agree, just looks like the tang of the distributor shaft is not in line with the slot in the shaft extension (which is attached to the oil pump)
Instead of just moving the distributor shaft in order to line it up with the pump shaft, you probably should start from scratch. Did you turn the engine to No1 TDC before removing the distributor, or was it just pulled out in the position that the engine last stopped?
Old 05-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,252 Likes on 970 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

When you installed the pertronix did you put the distributor gear on upside down? PG.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:50 AM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by petes74ttop
When you installed the pertronix did you put the distributor gear on upside down? PG.
OMFG OMFG ok this is up there with the most embarrassing moments in my life.

I cannot believe I did not see that earlier. I have looked at 100 distributor pictures and stared at my one for hours and did not see it.

Thank you, THANK YOU!

Old 05-03-2009, 08:26 AM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

OK re-installed the gear (correctly this time) and the distributor was installed 30 seconds later (since I am now an expert at lining up the oil pump shaft after 10 hours practice................) no exaggeration.

Thanks again petes74ttop!!!

And for anyone installing a distributor there is really no need to 'bump the starter' to line up the oil pump shaft, it is very easy to use a long blade screwdriver to turn the oil pump shaft to the right position (well it is easy once the distributor gear is installed the right way up )

cosmic
Old 05-03-2009, 08:50 AM
yel76low
Pro

So... now that the original question is answered, where do we get more of those videos? Those are excellent!

Get notified of new replies

To URGENT HELP: problem installing distributor

Quick Reply: URGENT HELP: problem installing distributor