C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Size 13s and the Brake Pedal (A/T)

Old 04-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Size 13s and the Brake Pedal (A/T)

A post last winter regarding a reduction in the width of the brake pedal (with A/T) really captured my interest. Being blessed with size 13s I was constantly aware last summer that my shoes were contacting both the gas and brake pedals simultaneously. There simply is not enough space between the two. This is a distraction one does not need.

So this morning my Brother dropped by with a Sawzall and we had at it. Things worked out very nicely. I am pleased with the outcome. Here is a little blow-by-blow via pics.

This is the new pad from NAPA.

Last edited by Paul L; 04-24-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Paul,
You can't do what you did. The weld is based on a certain length of pedal being on each side of the arm.
JUST KIDDING!!!
Nice customization!!!
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-24-2009, 04:21 PM
QuicheLorraine
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice.

I never noticed the problem until years ago when I did the carpet/interior overhaul in mine. All of a sudden I had real live carpet with jute padding and a layer of Reflectix underneath it.

My tennis shoes no longer fit - as in your picture above.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Paul,
You can't do what you did. The weld is based on a certain length of pedal being on each side of the arm.
JUST KIDDING!!!
Nice customization!!!
Regards,
Alan
Alan,

I just finished cleaning up. People can mock this mod but it was a big issue with me last summer. I would get asked why am I driving with my brake lights on? Note the wear on the right side of the original brake pad. I ended up driving with my tippy-toes on the bottom of the gas pedal?? It's funny how such a minor mod can increase driving pleasure. As to an unbalanced brake pedal, I will take that risk. I am just joking of course, there is no risk at all.

Mind you, don't try this job with a hacksaw. Even with the Sawzall it was a bit of a chore. And of course the measure-three-times-before-cutting principle applies. You make a mistake and.....at a mininum the dash comes out.

Of course I am now in trouble with purists. I have a GMC pickup brake pad in my car. The car shows this summer should be fun!

Bottom line I guess. You do what you have to do to enjoy your Corvette.

Last edited by Paul L; 04-24-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by QuicheLorraine
nice.

I never noticed the problem until years ago when I did the carpet/interior overhaul in mine. All of a sudden I had real live carpet with jute padding and a layer of Reflectix underneath it.

My tennis shoes no longer fit - as in your picture above.
And you can lose wide-open throttle (WOT)! I have the rug and the weatherboot. I don't drive fast but WOT is iffy on this car when I ... act a little younger.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:48 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
Alan,

I just finished cleaning up. People can mock this mod but it was a big issue with me last summer. I would get asked why am I driving with my brake lights on? Note the wear on the right side of the original brake pad. I ended up driving with my tippy-toes on the bottom of the gas pedal?? It's funny how such a minor mod can increase driving pleasure.

Mind you, don't try this job with a hacksaw. Even with the Sawzall it was a bit of a chore. And of course the measure-three-times-before-cutting principle applies. You make a mistake and.....at a mininum the dash comes out.

I used to have 13's also...now a daze due to age and arthritis, it's closer to 14's.....anyway, when doing a auto instead of a muncie some 12 years ago, I just dumped the clutch pedal and kept the brake pedal size....which is plenty large enough for my left foot to be comfy and hit the spot....

second off, I lowered the seat a goodly bit, and pushed the floorboard forward from below the steering column, and dropped the pedals forward some 3" like the floor....

so my knees are not on the late shark TT wheel....

Old 04-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mrvette
I used to have 13's also...now a daze due to age and arthritis, it's closer to 14's.....anyway, when doing a auto instead of a muncie some 12 years ago, I just dumped the clutch pedal and kept the brake pedal size....which is plenty large enough for my left foot to be comfy and hit the spot....

second off, I lowered the seat a goodly bit, and pushed the floorboard forward from below the steering column, and dropped the pedals forward some 3" like the floor....

so my knees are not on the late shark TT wheel....

OK, but I'm not sure what you did?? You lowered the seat and dropped the floor 3"? This sounds bizarre.

Last edited by Paul L; 04-24-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:49 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Paul,
Glad to see the brake pedal mod worked out for you, You've done a nice
job on making it look as if it were stock. I've been driving mine a Little
here lately and found that this new pedal pad has really made
a big difference with making the car more enjoyable to drive.

Thanks for posting you out come.
Riggs.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:09 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

If you have size 13 feet why do you drive a Corvette

Last edited by Bangkok Dean; 04-25-2009 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by riggs 74
Hey Paul,
Glad to see the brake pedal mod worked out for you, You've done a nice
job on making it look as if it were stock. I've been driving mine a Little
here lately and found that this new pedal pad has really made
a big difference with making the car more enjoyable to drive.

Thanks for posting you out come.
Riggs.
And my thanks to you for presenting the idea originally.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:25 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

OK, but I'm not sure what you did?? You lowered the seat and dropped the floor 3"? This sounds bizarre.
HYUMMM.....stated it rong, I guess....I cut a U on the firewall, below the steering wheel and across the floor, bent the glass forward about 3" on bottom edge, plenty of room under the hood, and so reglassed it.... that enabled me to lower (move forward) the pedals by a similar amount...cut/welded the brake, heated/bent the gas... left the mounts alone....small stick shift brake pedal is just right in that smallish space down there, how much target one need???

Last edited by mrvette; 04-25-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

(I like to follow up on old threads and the impact of the content.) After about 900 miles this summer on the 1974 I can say that this simple modification has made driving so much a greater pleasure. I no longer fumble about with my size 13s on the gas and brake pedals. In fact I do not even have to think about it at all as before. I just drive. My thanks again to riggs 74 for his post last winter!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:11 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Paul,

I was just driving around the other day with large work boots on and thought
the very same thing this mod makes it so easy to drive these cars, I recommend
that more people enjoy this mod, Its worth it.

Thanks again Paul,
Riggs.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:35 PM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I just did the opposite on mine. I have about 1 inch between the brake and the gas pedals.
Why did I do that ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz-AdgP83Vs&feature=fvw

Of course, you have to do it much faster with a Corvette

Last edited by 73StreetRace; 08-04-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

A post last winter regarding a reduction in the width of the brake pedal (with A/T) really captured my interest. Being blessed with size 13s I was constantly aware last summer that my shoes were contacting both the gas and brake pedals simultaneously. There simply is not enough space between the two. This is a distraction one does not need.

So this morning my Brother dropped by with a Sawzall and we had at it. Things worked out very nicely. I am pleased with the outcome. Here is a little blow-by-blow via pics.

This is the new pad from NAPA.

I also wear size 13 shoes. I will have to wait to get home to see these pics b/c of the firewall at work.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:24 PM
76_vette_girl
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Soooo.. been having issues driving my Corvette with my work shoes due to spacing issues. My issue is simply wide comfy work shoes (RN). I've been driving with my toe/side of foot at the bottom of the gas pedal which is less than ideal. This thread helped me resolve the issues with results being a safer, more comfortable driving experience!! 👍

(Lost the fancy chrome but... meh )

Last edited by 76_vette_girl; 08-11-2020 at 11:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Size 13s and the Brake Pedal (A/T)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Size 13s and the Brake Pedal (A/T)